C. S. Lewis for the Third Millennium: Six Essays on the Abolition of Man (1994)

by Peter Kreeft

X
  StFrancisofAssisi | Jun 13, 2019 |
C. S. Lewis for the Third Millennium is a collection of essays about modern society based on the philosophy and writings of C. S. Lewis. Although the title implies that it is all about his book The Abolition of Man, it actually takes in a wide breadth of Lewis' work (as well as some of Walker Percy's in one particular essay). However, like that first book, it does deal with the inherent falseness of modernism. The third essay in particular deconstructs the various modern philosophies and, using Lewis as a guide, shows why they are in error. Written in 1994, it seems overly optimistic about the 21st century, but then again while we have been in a constant state of war or something like it, we haven't killed near as many people (yet) as the 20th, the genocidal quality of which Kreeft brings up several times.

Definitely a book that fans of Lewis and/or The Abolition of Man should try to pick up, as its insights are great and fascinating. Highly recommended. ( )
  inge87 | May 13, 2016 |
FOR WALTER HOOPER
WITH GRATITUDE
FOR GIVING THE WORLD
MANY OF LEWIS' PRECIOUS WRITINGS
AND MUCH OF LEWIS' GRACIOUS SPIRIT
As our senile, toothless, and confused culture stumbles blindly toward the third millennium; as our "century of genocide" comes to an end, having murdered more human beings (born and unborn) in a single century than the total of all men who lived in all previous centuries; as our demonic "culture of death" accelerates its sharklike feeding frenzy of human bodies and souls; and as our arrogant and impenitent planet rushes naked and defenseless through space and time on a collision course with the fearsome heavenly body of the justice of God, we wonder: "What next?"—and even whether there will be a "next".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,314,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible