Gaysia by Benjamin Law

Gaysia (edition 2012)

by Benjamin Law (Author)

Benjamin Law considers himself pretty lucky to live in Australia: he can hold his boyfriend's hand in public and lobby his politicians to recognise same-sex marriage. But as the child of migrants, he's also curious about how different life might have been had he grown up in Asia. So he sets off to meet his fellow Gaysians.… (more)
Member:amiraa
Title:Gaysia
Authors:Benjamin Law (Author)
Info:Black Inc. (2012), 288 pages

Gaysia: Adventures in the Queer East by Benjamin Law

Perhaps a decent introductory book but couldn't help but feel it could have been better. I've had this book on my wish list for a couple of years now. A young gay Asian man from Australia looks at LGBT people in various countries in East/Southeastern Asia. He meets people, listens to their stories, gives a little bit of history of these particular groups. Some stories are funny, most are informative, some are quite sad. It's a pretty formulaic book. Law visits a country, meets with a particular group or groups in that country and writes about aspects of their lives. How young people in China learn about homosexuality despite severe internet censorship.The lack of accessibility of AIDS medication in Myanmar. While I appreciated a look at these groups in these countries, it was a tough read. With my lack of knowledge, I couldn't help but wonder how accurate his information was. There's no list of resources at the end of the book and I wish he had included some references. Based on other reviews, there's a bit of a mixed bunch as to his accuracy, portrayal, where how much his views were influenced by his background, etc. I also didn't think he was a very good writer. On occasion he was very funny and I know part of it was that my eyes was just going to glaze over at some of the descriptions of sexual encounters. Law does not get that detailed, but you have an idea of what he's witnessing/overhearing/etc. Some of the history and societal commentary was quite interesting, but this could be quite uneven. So while I don't regret having read this, I wish I had been able to borrow this from the library vs. having to buy it. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
A series of vignettes and snapshots, rather superficial, not an in-depth exploration of an important topic. Maybe my expectations of this were too heavy. ( )
  claudinec | Jun 14, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Benjamin Law's book Gaysia: Adventures in the Queer East was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,846,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible