Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season One

by Julian Fellowes

"Full shooting scripts with additional material and commentary from the series creator [Julian Fellowes]"--P. [1] of cover.

I read this when I had a quick minute. Perfectly delightful, with interesting commentary from Julian Fellowes. Don't bother if you haven't seen the series. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
Adds a shade of depth to the series. Julian Fellowes bases many of the characters, scenes and even some of the lines on family, extended family and friends. It somewhat explains for me, his excessively kind treatment of the Aristocracy.
Also questions left unanswered or unclear are given depth via missing scenes and explanations.
Did Lady Mary hesitate to marry Matthew season 1 episode 7 because she felt she owed him the truth about Pamuk or because he wasn't the heir? I've argued this with multiple folks, answered at last. As is the mystery of just what Mr Pamuk and Lady Mary got up to that night that would still leave her a virgin for her husband. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Despite my abiding interest for speculative fiction, now and then I enjoy stepping off my well-traveled paths to sample something different, and this is one of those instances.

When I received this book as a Christmas gift I was very pleased, because I knew it would offer me the opportunity to revisit the first season of one of the best shows I've ever encountered, and yet it was much more, in a very surprising way...

Read the complete review on my blog:
http://spaceandsorcery.blogspot.it/2014/02/downton-abbey-season-1-scrips-julian.... ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
It's the script. There's not much more to say about it. I was somewhat curious to see what information could be included in the complete scripts (for Seasons 1-3 only it seems).

The book is basically what it says on the tin: it's the complete script for season one with additional information and notes by Fellows. I'll admit that I really only skimmed the script itself (it might be fun to follow along while watching but otherwise I'd prefer watching this on a screen) for tidbits of stage direction, perhaps to go over scenes I liked or didn't understand when I first watched, etc.

The really interesting parts for me were the notes, anecdotes, thoughts, and commentary by Fellows. There isn't as much as I would like. Much of it is informative for history, choices made by Fellows, the actors, etc. so it would have been interesting if he had added more. The notes appear fairly often (every few pages at minimum) though. And it's nice because they aren't obtrusive, like the coffee table-style books with pictures and inserts breaking up the text.

Other than that there's not much more to say. If you haven't seen the show then this probably won't make sense to read. It's also bare bones: it's the script plus the footnotes. No pictures, no extras. So if cost is a problem I would really recommend you get it from the library (or buy bargain/used) unless you're a diehard fan. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |
If you're a fan of the series, the scripts contain interesting background and insight into Julian Fellowes' intent for specific scenes and characters as well as dialog that was edited out. He shares his feelings for the characters and the actors who play them. ( )
  bookappeal | Jan 5, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,213,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible