Leaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline…

Leaving Everything Most Loved

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (10)

London, 1933. Two months after the body of an Indian woman named Usha Pramal is found in the brackish water of a South London canal, her brother, newly arrived in England, turns to Maisie Dobbs to find out the truth about her death. Not only has Scotland Yard made no arrests, evidence indicates that they failed to conduct a full and thorough investigation.… (more)

This was an excellent installment in the Maisie Dobbs series. I was beginning to have a few doubts with the previous book because that mystery plot was not as neatly tied into the larger story, or unfolded as smoothly, as some of her previous mysteries. Also, Maisie spent a good deal of time ruminating on the subject of love, to the point that I began to feel she had broken her character's mold. Luckily, this installment had a very good mystery, and as you can guess from the name, there was a drawing together to a point (not necessarily a "conclusion") of various threads of different recurring characters. Maisie's personal rumination turned to action and we are left looking forward to the next installment with even greater anticipation. I enjoyed the bit of review the author did of her characters' histories so much in this book that I am tempted to revisit some of her earlier adventures - especially the first - while waiting for book eleven. ( )
  Brauer11431 | Apr 16, 2019 |
Maise solves a double murder of two Indian women. She also decides to leave her investigations to travel. Her fiance has given her the March 31 ultimatum about marriage. Her dad has married the maid. Billie has taken a job in her fiance's business. Sandra has been offered and accepted a job working for a publisher.
Maise is now a world traveler on her way to India. ( )
  pgabj | Feb 15, 2019 |
A surprise and a change for our heroine. This author works hard, but the malapropisms abound! Also, the ending is just so pat. ( )
  themulhern | Nov 3, 2018 |
Maisie Dobbs is facing a crossroads in her life; she's also facing two puzzling cases.

James Compton is increasingly urgent in his desire to marry Maisie, and work is about to take him to Canada. He'd like her to come with him. But as much as she loves James, Maisie is afraid of losing herself. Even though James values her intelligence and independence, he doesn't like how dangerous her work can be. And Maisie herself is feeling an increasingly strong desire to travel--but not to Canada, and not with James. This would be a journey of self-discovery, a memorial trip for Maurice Blanche--a trip to India, length of visit open indefinitely.

Meanwhile, she's got those two puzzling cases. One involves a young Indian woman, Usha Pramal, who came to England originally as a governess for an English family. More lately, she has been working as maid while living in an ayah's hostel. Most recently, she was found dead, floating in the canal, with a bullet through her head.

The other case involves a missing boy, Robert Martin, whose father hasn't reported his disappearance to the police, and was slow to seek even Maisie's help. Maisie gave the case to Billy Beale, thinking it would help build his confidence again as he completed his recovery from the serious injuries he took on a previous case.

But Billy is less recovered than she hopes, and the two cases turn out to be unexpectedly connected.

As with all the Maisie Dobbs books, this is as much about the further growth and development of the characters as about the specific mysteries Maisie and her little detective agency work on. I felt the series hit a rough patch for a book or two, but this book and the previous one feel like Winspear is back on track. Maisie Dobbs and her friends and family are moving forward, in difficult and dangerous times.

Recommended.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
There is a mystery in this novel, but the real action and interest is happening in Maisie's life. I'm actually disappointed by the turn her life has taken with regard to James. I really like Maisie as a character but for all that she has such great insight into people and their motives, she doesn't seem to understand herself very well and she doesn't seem to be able to let anyone past her formidable personal barriers. Ms. Winspear has set up the series to take a definite swerve, which should make future novels different and interesting. I hope that Maisie's personal life takes a swerve for the better! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 2, 2018 |

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The family, that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor in our innermost hearts never quite wish to.

--Dodie Smith
You shall leave everything loved most dearly, and this is the shaft of which the bow of exile shoots first. You shall prove how salt is the taste of another man's bread and how hard is the way up and down another man's stairs.

--Dante, Paradiso
All the people like us are We, and everyone else is They.

--Rudyard Kipling, "We and They"
I have learned that if you must leave a place that you have lived in and loved and where all your yesteryears are buried deep, leave it any way except a slow way, leave it the fastest way you can.

--Beryl Markham, West With The Night
To my family--all of you, wherever you are in the world or wherever you may roam: godspeed.
Edith Billings--Mrs. Edith Billings, that is, proprietor of Billings' Bakery--watched as the dark woman walked past the shop window, her black head with its oiled ebony hair appearing to bob up and down between the top shelf of cottage loaves and the middle shelf of fancy cakes as she made her way along with a confidence to her step.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,871,670 books! | Top bar: Always visible