I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: The…

I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: The Legacies (Lorien Legacies) (edition 2012)

by Pittacus Lore

You know we're out there, living among you.You know we're waiting for our day to come.You have seen the power of our legacies.You know this is why they hunt us.You may think you know our stories.You are wrong.We each have our own story.We know the time has come to share them with you.Our legacies are your only hope.… (more)
Member:Juarez_Santiago
Title:I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: The Legacies (Lorien Legacies)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 416 pages

The Legacies by Pittacus Lore

This is a collection of three novellas that fit into the world of The Lorien Legacies. As far as reading order, they all come between books one and two, although that's not how they fit chronologically. But none of that matters.

They are great stories. The first two give backstory on Numbers Six and Nine respectively. We get to see a little of their lives before/during the murders of One, Two and Three. We meet their Cêpans and see their lives before they are turned completely upside down. The stories really make you empathize with the characters. They only want a small semblance of normalcy, to be regular teenagers with friends, homework, and love interests. Instead they are on constant guard for fear of discovery by Mogadorian scouts. They are the only hope of stopping the Mogs from destroying Earth, and rebuilding their race, their planet.

The stories are both exciting and sad. They live nomadic lifestyles, moving from place to place, trying their best to blend in, to not stand out. Hiding in plain sight, but not exactly living. They are just existing, surviving. Their Cêpans' only ambition is to train and prepare heir young wards for the coming war. You can see why the young Garde have their little rebellions. It's understandable, but it's also their downfall.

The third story is a bit of a twist. In this one we follow the only son of an important Mogadorian General. Adamus, or Adam, has been taught his entire life to hate the Loriens because the Loriens hate him and would happily see him dead. He has great hopes to follow in his father's footsteps and eventually be a major player in the conquering of earth. He believes he will be in control of his own territory and eagerly awaits the day that the nine Lorien Garde are dead and the Mogadorians can proceed with their plan to take over the planet.

Until his father takes him on a mission to follow a lead on a Garde. Seeing Number One murdered, stabbed in the back, unnerves Adam. His father then volunteers him for an experiment that is supposed to help him see the memories of the slain Garde. The hope is that they will gather important intel about the remaining Garde. What happens is the already compromised Adam is trapped in Number One's mind along with the apparent consciousness of Number One. She has full control and takes him on a tour of her life. If he was unsure before...

Adam is trapped with One in her memories for three years and when he awakens, he is more than a little conflicted. His best friend has taken his place as his father's son and has virtually become his rival. He's weaker than ever, which is very bad for a Mog, especially one who is the offspring of the most prominent Mog general. But also, One has stayed with him and he now has no desire to hunt down the remainder of the Garde, or conquer Earth. But he definitely can't tell his father that!

For the next few years he tries to act the model Mog all the while, plotting escape, planning ways that the Earth armies could defeat the Mog armies. He's too late to stop Two's death, and in trying to stop Three's, he outs himself to his rival as a traitor.

The end is a bit of a cliff hanger and I have no clue which book/novella will pick this plot line up again. UGH!!!

Very good read. ( )
  ViragoReads | Jun 5, 2019 |
So I just read this thinking I was reading I AM NUMBER FOUR. I was like this is a whole different ballgame from the movie, but now I see this is a companion book. I liked it. I felt a little confused about some things because so much is old news within the universe of this series and totally new to me, but it wasn't too difficult to keep up. Now I'm off to check out the actual first book LOL ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
It was so refreshing to read Lorien stories that weren't from John's perspective at all! I did enjoy reading these stories as I'm so intrigued by Loric-Mogadorian fight and I felt this was a fitting companion to expand on the individual stories of the rest of the Garde, other than what we have gained from the series itself. Note that this book, though set before the main series, is best read after reading the previous books (#1 - #3) that were published before this one, mainly as the author doesn't explain anything about the Garde, the Loric or their fight with the 'Mogs', which I was glad of.

What I was not glad about was "Pittacus Lore" (we all know it's you, James Frey!) and his ridiculous attempts to add romance/love stories/possible love stories/even just crushes to every single backstory (or current - but that's another review!). It. Is. Just. Not. Necessary. I understand the lure of human relationships, even friendships or connections, but guys, c'mon. YOU ARE IN MORTAL DANGER. I can maybe understand One, she had no idea just how much danger she was in. But Nine? Really? Guys how about the protection of our races? Clearly both humans and the Loric are in trouble, why don't you do what you were sent here for and keep yourselves alive? Don't argue that you're only human - because you're not. You are supposed to be more than that! Pull your heads in!

That being said, Adam the Mog was quite an interesting character. A bit of a speed through of the find and murder of Two and Three, but interesting to see it through the eyes of a character not yet encountered this way. Looking forward to seeing more of that! (And less of John...) ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
Though each of the three stories are short, each definitely packs a punch.

Read the rest of my review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/i-am-number-four-the-lost-fil... ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,471,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible