Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller

Norwegian by Night (2012)

by Derek B. Miller

Series: Sigrid Ødegård (#1)

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (charl08)
    charl08: Thoughtful crime in Scandinavia
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (kristenl)
    kristenl: Both are Scandanavian stories centered around eccentric old men, and both contain historical flashbacks.
    One Boy Missing by Stephen Orr (infosleuth)
    infosleuth: Insightful about father/son relationships and orphaned children.

English (41)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (43)
Well that was unusual. I read fairly widely in this genre, but that was the first book about an 82 year old Jewish veteran of the Korean war taking on a war criminal from Kosovo in Norway.

As much a meditation on parenting, being Jewish in America, grief, war, and regret as a plot-driven thriller. Sheldon Horowitz is a flawed hero for all ages. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath for the sequel. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
There’s nobody going to accuse this guy of plagiarism. Imagine coming up with an idea for a novel…. Let’s see, it’s going to combine Jews, the Korean and Vietnam wars, the KLA and dementia. Where shall I set it? Ah yes – Norway.

What I admired most of all about this novel was the quirkily intelligent writing style. It constantly teases and surprises without losing focus. The storyline was good, but simpler than an out-and-out thriller might have been. The end, when it came, felt abrupt. Perhaps the main message that came out of it for me was that dementia – exactly the right amount of dementia – makes you pretty much invincible. ( )
  jayne_charles | Feb 23, 2019 |
It took a while to sort out the story, for my ears to recognize and understand the shifts in time and voice. The complexity of the telling is integral to the story. Once my ears became accustomed I was able to follow the scrambled tale of extraordinary events taking place.

I am so glad I hung in there. This is one of the best books to which I've listened. This is an exceptionally gifted author. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
Sheldon is an elderly Korean War Marine now living in Oslo with his grand daughter and her husband. When the woman who lives upstairs appears at his door with her young son, Sheldon depends on his old military training to save the boy from his violent father. ( )
  mojomomma | Feb 7, 2019 |
This was an amazing novel that featured a character so complex and yet very ordinary in many ways. I loved this book for so many reasons. It is a great combination of literary fiction and crime thriller. I went into the book thinking it was a mystery and it was, but the mystery part of this story is merely a vehicle to look back on the life of the main character. In the course of the story, the reader gets acquainted with Sheldon Horowitz, 82, who lived through three wars, found love and experienced excruciating loss, and near the end of his life was thrown into a dramatic sequence of events that unfolded as a crime thriller. Whew! How did the author get so much into this story without going overboard? The delightful surprise was the quality of the writing. The story was revealed in a meaningful way without unnecessary information or emotion. I am amazed at the skill Miller brings to telling the story intertwined with the suspense he created for the crime plot line. The mystery drove the story to a satisfying if not definitive conclusion. I loved it! So well done...I will pick up his other books also as time permits and I hope I will enjoy them as much as this one. ( )
1 vote beebeereads | Jan 22, 2018 |

Miller, Derek B.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Larsstuvold, RuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roth, OlafÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son
It is summer and luminous.

A literary novel, a police thriller, and the funniest book about war crimes and dementia you are likely to read anytime soon.

Sheldon Horowitz—widowed, old, impatient, impertinent has grudgingly agreed to move in with his granddaughter Rhea and her new husband Lars in Norway: a country of blue and ice with one thousand Jews, and not one of them a former Marine sniper in the Korean war turned watch repairman, who failed his only son by sending him to Vietnam to die. Not until now, anyway.

Home alone one morning in unfamiliar Oslo, Sheldon witnesses a dispute between the Balkan woman who lives upstairs and an aggressive stranger. When events turn dire, Sheldon seizes the neighbor's young son to shield him from the violence, and the two flee the scene. But old age and circumstances are altering Sheldon's experience of time and memory. As he and the boy attempt to make their way to safety, Sheldon becomes haunted by dreams of his son Saul's life and guilt about his death. In looking for a safe haven in an alien world, reality and fantasy, past and present, weave together, forcing Sheldon and the boy ever-forward to a dramatic climax.

Norwegian by Night introduces an ensemble of unforgettable characters—Sheldon and the boy, Rhea and Lars, a Balkan war criminal named Enver, and Sigrid and Petter, the brilliantly dry-witted investigating officers—as they chase each other, and their own demons, through the wilderness at the end of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:02 -0400)

Sheldon Horowitz -- widowed, impatient, impertinent -- has grudgingly agreed to leave New York and move in with his granddaughter, Rhea, and her new husband, Lars, in Norway -- a country of blue and ice with one thousand Jews, not one of them a former Marine sniper in the Korean War turned watch repairman. Not until now, anyway. Home alone one morning, Sheldon witnesses a dispute between the woman who lives upstairs and an aggressive stranger. When events turn dire, Sheldon seizes and shields the neighbor's young son from the violence, and they flee the scene. As Sheldon and the boy look for a safe haven in an alien world, past and present weave together, forcing them ever forward to a wrenching moment of truth. --… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921844884, 1922070424

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,101,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible