Give Me Five for Fangs, Feathers, and…

by Victoria Peace Green

313,421,018 (5)None
Sounds...we hear them wherever we go. Or do we? We hear a sound because something or someone makes a sound. But wait, is that the way it goes? God has given elephants (and many other animals) ears that hear sounds which we can not: Infrasound Did you know you can talk to Jesus anytime any place and He will hear? But just like the elephant's secret language, you have to have the ears of your heart ready to hear the Lord. Give Me Five for Fangs, Feathers, and Faith is filled with fun facts about God's creation. Your tweenager will thrill at discovering more about the world around them and their faith. (1) What About You connects your child with interesting details about God's creation that reflect who He is. (2) Check it Out gives exciting topics for them to find out more about online. (3) Check Within teaches children they were made to be in relationship with God. (4) Check Around helps develop a compassionate heart in your child towards friends and family. (5) Check with the Lord shows children how to praise, thank, and carry their concerns to God through prayer.… (more)
Member:Homeschoolbookreview
Title:Give Me Five for Fangs, Feathers, and Faith!: A Devotional for Tweenagers (For ages 8 and up)
Authors:Victoria Peace Green
Info:Tate Publishing (2012), Perfect Paperback, 244 pages
Rating:*****

Give Me Five for Fangs, Feathers, and Faith!: A Devotional for Tweenagers (For ages 8 and up) by Victoria Peace Green

No tags

Can an Arctic fox teach you anything about God? In each of the 52 chapters of this nature and animal devotional book, author Victoria Peace Green uses different animals, plants, and other natural phenomena to help tweenagers discover more about the world around them and about their faith. Every chapter is divided into five days, freeing up the weekend for the family’s participation at its place of worship. On Day One, the reader learns about one of God’s critters or creation, followed by a “What About You?” section which parallels the article and makes scriptural application of its principles.

On Day Two, readers are encouraged to “Check It Out” by discovering for themselves, with parents’ permission, additional information about the first day’s reading online, at the library, or around the house. On Day Three, “Check Within” emphasizes the importance of having a personal relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ by means of further Bible study. On Day Four, “Check Around” is designed to develop a compassion and tender heart in the tween towards friends and family. And on Day Five, “Check with the Lord” is all about prayer. For example, just as God gave the Arctic fox its senses and determination for its survival, He will guide and strengthen us as we walk by faith. What might we learn from the Venus fly-trap, or an iceberg?

Young earth creationists may notice that there are a couple of references to things happening “millions of years ago” and a statement about the jellyfish’s existence “before dinosaurs walked the earth,” but this book is certainly not evolution-based because the emphasis is on God’s creation. Concerning the woodpecker, the author writes, “When God made this cool-looking bird, He gave it all it needs to show the world that creation is what God does and not evolution.” Amen to that! Homeschooling families could well use Give Me Five for Fangs, Feathers, and Faith! as the foundation for a nature-based Bible study curriculum that combines science and Scripture, definitely a winning combination. It is the author’s prayer that through the book young people can uncover God’s tender, unconditional love and mercy. ( )
  Homeschoolbookreview | Aug 26, 2012 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,379,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible