Detective Story [1951 film] (1951)

by William Wyler, Philip Yordan (Writer)

Other authors: William Bendix (Actor), Kirk Douglas (Actor), Lee Grant (Actor), George Macready (Actor), Cathy O'Donnell (Actor)2 more, Eleanor Parker (Actor), Sidney Kingsley (Original play)

711,928,335 (4)None
An embittered cop leads a precinct of characters in their grim battle with the city's lowlife while his wife suffers from neglect. Based on Sydney Kingsley's play.

Detective Story (1951)

Joseph Wiseman – Charley Gennini
Craig Hill – Arthur Kindred
Lee Grant – Shoplifter
Gladys George – Miss Hatch

Screenplay by Philip Yordan and Robert Wyler, based on the play (1949) by Sidney Kingsley
Directed by William Wyler

Black and white. 103 min.

========================================

I built my whole life on hating my father. All the time he was inside me, laughing.

This tight, tense and talky police drama is about the hectic everyday life in the cramped, noisy and dirty 21st precinct in New York City. The script is not without problems (such as irrelevant shoplifters) and neither is the direction (Wyler almost loses control in a few places), but it’s not hard to see why the original play lasted for 581 performances on Broadway. It still has the power to interest, disturb and move: bigotry, disillusionment and despair are in no danger of becoming dated. Magnificent cast takes care of the rest. Kirk Douglas is imposingly intense as the jaundiced, cynical, self-righteous and violent Detective McLeod for whom people are either guilty or innocent, but never a mixture of both. He has a surprise or two coming to him. It’s a grand performance of a tough and complex character. Eleanor Parker all but overshadows her leading man in their explosive scenes together. The IMDb trivia tells me that Eleanor’s performance, comprising only 20 minutes and 10 second of screen time, is the shortest ever to have received a Best Leading Actress nomination. Boy, did she deserve it! The ending has been criticised as too contrived and eager to shock. I can’t say that I agree. I didn’t like the religious angle, but otherwise I found it plausible enough in this context as well as pleasantly stark, sugar-free, no-punches-pulled and even, in a way, tragic. Top-notch supporting cast is a special bonus. The movie takes its time to get going, but then it becomes steadily more gripping until the bleak ending. ( )
  Waldstein | Jun 1, 2020 |

Parker, EleanorActorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sidney KingsleyOriginal playsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,237,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible