The Throat by Peter Straub

The Throat (1993)

by Peter Straub

642None15,161 (3.79)7

Rating it a 3 is a bit low, but I don't think it's quite a 4. Nicely twisty plot; I predicted some parts of it but not all. I think its real lack was in good characterization; in many ways it's character-driven, but the characters were rather 1-dimensional. ( )
  cissa | Feb 18, 2010 |
A totally great mystery/thriller, not as supernaturally based as the other Straub novels I've read, but really excellent. Tim Underhill gets a call from an old friend named John Ransom, and learns that John's wife has been brutally attacked and is in a coma. Scrawled above her body were the words "Blue Rose," which connects her to a series of killings that took place thirty years ago -- and were thought solved. Is the Blue Rose killer acting from beyond the grave? Or is it just a copycat?

The phone call launches a complex and satisfying plot, which follows Tim as he tries to solve the mystery before him, while flashing back to Tim's childhood and his stint in Vietnam. Straub draws his characters well, and keeps the plot moving until the very last page. Great stuff. ( )
  Crowyhead | Mar 9, 2006 |
A being can only be touched where it yields. For a woman, this is under her dress; and for a god it's on the throat of the animal being sacrificed.
- George Bataille, Guilty
I see again my schoolroom in Vyra, the blue roses of the wallpaper, the open window... Everything is as it should be, nothing will ever change, nobody will ever die.
- Vladimir Nabokov, Speak, Memory
For Ann Lauterbach and Susan Straub
An alcoholic homicide detective in my hometown of Millhaven, Illinois, William Damrosch, died to ensure, you might say, that this book would never be written.
None of us are as strong or as brave as the children we used to be.
This is where I dip my buckets, where I fill my pen.
...there is another world, and it's this world.
Let me tell you something. The world is full of ghosts, and some of them are still people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451179188, Mass Market Paperback)

In The Throat, Peter Straub's Blue Rose trilogy blooms into a horrifically chilling, maniacally suspenseful masterwork of terror.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:18 -0400)

The continuing mystery of the Blue Rose Murders draws Tim Underhill back to his home town, where he will help a friend accused of murdering his wife clear his name.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,466,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible