Biting Bad: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel by…

Biting Bad: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (edition 2013)

by Chloe Neill (Author)

Member:Spurts
Title:Biting Bad: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel
Authors:Chloe Neill (Author)
Info:Berkley (2013), 370 pages
Collections:Library Wishlist, To read

Biting Bad by Chloe Neill

English (13)  Piratical (1)  All languages (14)
Biting Bad
3.5 Stars

This series has such great potential and most of the books even manage to live up to it. Unfortunately, Biting Bad is not one of them.

The political correctness hinted at in earlier books with Seth’s redemption and Mallory’s rehabilitation (this plot point is exceedingly tiresome) is front and center with the vampires coming across as weak and powerless. What happened to vampires being invulnerable? They behave exactly like humans who just happen to be immortal and drink blood. They are just as easily wounded, get tired, can be poisoned, go to hospital, etc.

What happened to Merit being a kick-ass heroine? She is constantly tripping, falling and needing to be rescued. There are one or two truly excellent scenes in which Ethan finally demonstrates exactly why he is the master of Cadogen House but these are eventually undermined by the lack of any decisive action or resolution.

The mystery revolving around the riots against vampire targets is interesting enough but the culprit is way too obvious and the investigation amounts to little more than a series of summary conversations between Merit and various others (Catcher, Jonah, Jeff, Luke, Ethan etc.) The revelations concerning McKettrick’s past are not all that surprising and the climax is lackluster.

Ethan and Merit’s relationship is one of the book’s only saving graces. Although it can me cheesy at times, their romance is sweet and passionate, and their banter is as amusing as ever.

In sum, Biting Bad does not live up to the hype. It seems that in Neill’s CLV series, enemies are not vanquished for good but merely removed temporarily until they can be redeemed or return to wreck more havoc. Hoping that Wild Things will be better. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
As I listen to this book, I stumble as I realize how diffuse the plot is this time. The previous seven books had a good solid story line, some obvious and other not so obvious clues, and the reader had a good chance to follow along. This one... not so much. Sadly, after the second meeting, I had ignored the obvious red herring and already pegged the culprit. (The author had tricked me the previous book, but not this time.)

There is definitely a sense that someone fiddled with who Merit is. Oh she's still the biting sarcastic newbie vamp. But she's less... awesome. The Ponytailed Avenger has lost some bite in her sword. Tried to make her into a normal romance novel heroine. UGH! Please don't! And yes, I realize the book revolves around Valentine's Day. That doesn't change a person's base being, though it feels like it did here.

I am jealous of her "rental" though.

-----
After reading

Oh look the end of the booo... WHOA CRAP, CLIFF! What a way to leave the reader hanging there, author.

Overall, this book definitely had a differing feel than the first seven. More of the romance, less of the Vamps where romance was the undercurrent.

And they finally closed a loop they've been teasing for a few books, though I'm disappointed with how. For all the build up and the chess moves, it felt like the two move checkmate. Unsatisfying to anyone but the one making that final move. I expected better from this antagonist.

I hope the changes made to Merit in this book don't continue. But I also hope that the advances made in this book are positive over the long plot for the last 5 books... ( )
  gilroy | Aug 31, 2016 |
3.6 stars. Ethan, aka Darth Sullivan, was a very different master vampire in this edition. He was romantic, sarcastic, caring and even compromising. He took Merit's breath, and mine away a few times, once involved getting down on one knee. He had a few fantastic lines one of my favorite was " I'm rarely good Merit. But I'm often spectacular". Oh yes, I agree with that. If he keeps this up his Darth retain could just wither away. He polished his big bad badge when he had an off with his head moment, that was spectacular to read and had me cheering out loud.
Merit, well she spent most of her time be played by Ethan. She said "Ethan Sullivan could play me like a Stradivarius" and he did in may ways. [wink] When she wasn't playing house with E-man she was hunting down clues or trying to get close again to her long time gal pal, Mallory. The mystery of who started a riot and why. She also had some family drama that took the couple into normal life zones that was fun to watch them juggle.
Watching the moments between the two of them made the book worth reading. But, I could have missed out on 1/2 of the book, the politics. Arguh, will they ever get toned down. I did skim through many pages of power drama. The mixing of the houses was too brief I thought could have been an interesting little window to delve into. There was a lot of little side stories going on that just fell flat for me, the car, the magical usage, the GP, the disgruntled employee, the riots. The ending was of course a cliffhanger. Do I care enough about what happens to carry on with the series ? I'm on the fence, it is a B rated series for me now I will not rush out to get a copy. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Wow...looking over the reviews for this book, it seems the fan base is really divided which is odd considering they've all hung in there & read the others in the series. So instead of rehashing the plot, I'll just make a few comments as to why this was a disappointment for me, a loyal fan.
The world building has been great, with interesting politics & compelling characters from different supernatural groups contributing to the action & ever changing alliances.
But the whole thing has always hinged on the character of Merit. We've witnessed her "birth" as a vampire & the struggle she's had. She retains human characteristics, something that enables her to sympathize & relate to both sides of the ongoing human/supe conflicts. It also causes her to have periodic crises of conscience in terms of what she has to do sometimes for her house. She's been strong & smart, trying to make the best of a life she never wanted.
My question after reading this outing is where the hell did that Merit go? In this book, she's portrayed more as the bumbling heroine of a B grade romance novel than the enforcer that Ethan & the rest of the vamps have come to respect. Her job is to kick ass & keep her colleagues safe but after this, they could be forgiven for reposting the position for new applicants.
The other characters continue to be compelling as they evolve & we learn more about them. But if you're frequently annoyed/disappointed by the main character, it makes for a tough read & I found myself more interested in peripheral story lines & some secondary characters. The central plot is not advanced, it's just more of the same with familiar situations & enemies so I guess my second question would be what was the point?
I really enjoy finding a good series as opposed to reading stand alone novels. You feel like you know these people & enjoy catching up & seeing what new challenges they face. But if the author is going to enjoy longevity, there has to be an evolving story line if you want to hold the reader's attention & entice them to lay down their hard earned cash.
This book ends up being a kind of non-event. It felt static, as if everything was on hold except for Merit whose character takes two steps back. I know there are 2-3 books/novellas due out in 2014 & I had to wonder if this was put together to satisfy some deadline or publishing obligation.
So in my humble opinion (and at the end of the day, that's all this is...) skip this & save your money for the next one. There are no new revelations or big changes and it will be easy to pick up the story line again in a subsequent book. Hopefully, it's one where Merit gets her mojo back. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Sep 14, 2014 |
Merit keeps having her dinner interrupted, mostly by humans protesting vampires, and she has to try to find out who is behind this, and their motives. She also has to deal with some family politics.

It's an interesting read and I found it entertaining, it's building to something and I'm not sure about ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 28, 2014 |
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but ourselves.
--William Shakespeare
For Jeremy, who usually lets me win, usually lets me write,
and always shares his cinnamon roll.
You are the best.
I stared at the sleek steel blade, its honed edge only inches from my cheek, and tried not to flinch. I was taut with nerves and anticipation, my fingers slippery around the handle of my own ancient katana, my gaze flicking between the weapon that threatened me and the man who wielded it.

Merit and her Master, centuries-old Ethan Sullivan, have risked their lives time and again to save the city they love. But not all of Chicago is loving them back. Anti-vampire riots are erupting all over town, striking vampires where it hurts the most. A splinter group armed with Molotov cocktails and deep-seated hate is intent on clearing the fanged from the Windy City come hell or high water. The battle for Chicago is just beginning... and Merit is running out of time....… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,943,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible