Magic Rises

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels World (6), Kate Daniels (6)

1,2219912,162 (4.3)21
Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, face a crisis when many of the Pack's shapeshifting children cannot control their beasts and don't live to adulthood. With the young people's survival and the Pack's future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept an offer made by the European packs -- but they have little doubt that they're heading straight into a trap.… (more)

Rtc

I remember that i had a huge issue with this: Curran and Kate..what's wrong with you, guys?
You were awesome until the previous book and now you're acting like children, fighting without finding a solution for a little misunderstanding! :/
The plot was very good fortunately and also the continuing characterisation and evolution of the characters. That's why I love this series.
I hope the next book will be better :) ( )
  Sara_Lucario | Oct 19, 2021 |
Ilona Andrews is one of my favorite authors and the Kate Daniels series is my favorite of all the books that the husband/wife duo write. The writing style is fast paced and engaging and the characters are completely believable despite the fantastical elements that surround all the books. These books are a must read for me and I eagerly devour them and count the months until the next one arrives. I love that despite the occult and romance leanings of these books there is still a generous dose of humor. I highly recommend the Kate Daniels series ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Kate and gang go to Europe!

The world building in the Kate Daniels universe is really top notch. It's set in a modern world where magic has returned. So far, not that unusual. But in this world, magic and tech alternate which set of rules dominate. When tech rules, no fireballs, no tracking spells, etc. But when magic dominates, skyscrapers decay and planes fall from the sky. So you're in a modern world without a lot of the modern conveniences. There are a few issues (like where does the power come from? haven't the power plants fallen apart? who works there...), but it's still pretty awesome.

One thing that all means though is when Kate and the Pack need to travel to Europe in order to make a deal for magical medicine that can prevent their children from going loupe and needing to be put down... you can't just hop on a plane. It's a journey of weeks on ship. And there's not necessarily a way to call home.

Oh, and traveling to Europe? So they can protect a pregnant werewolf woman with a Rome-and-Juliet-gone-mad esque twist from two packs that hate one another, her, and just about everyone. Good times. Also new supernatural baddies from yet corner of the mythological world, but at this point in the Kate Daniel's universe, that almost goes without saying.

Overall, a great addition to the series. Worth reading.

Oh. And today in Kate and Curran:

“You want to get married? I'll marry you right now. Is the gnome a preacher, because I'll do it."

"That's a hell of a proposal."

"What did he say?" Astamur asked.

"He wants me to marry him."

Astamur relayed it. Atsany waved his pipe and Astamur translated back. Ha!

"What?" Curran Snarled.

"Atsany says you're not ready for marriage. You don't have the right temperament for it."

Curran struggled with that for a second.

"Let me know if your head's going to explode, so I can duck.”

Because of course. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Would have been 5 stars if not for some silly drama in the middle. I bit too many characters to keep track of but still good. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |
In the sixth book in the ever-amazing Kate Daniels series, the setting shifts from the post-apocalyptic Atlanta we've become accustomed to. Instead, Kate and Curran are transported to a European setting, complete with a castle. They make the trip overseas to play mediators and protectors in a tense family feud situation that they'd rather not be a part of. They have no choice, though; the European shape shifters have offered them a supply of medicine that can cure shapeshifters that are going loup. All Curran has to do is protect Desandra, the daughter of a despotic shapeshifter leader, who happens to be pregnant. The problem is that Desandra has been married off two times, in each case to sons of rival shapeshifter clans, and she had recently had revenge sex with her ex-husband, so no one knows who the father is. Considering that these children will inherit Desandra's family territory, which is a prize worth going to war over, apparently, all three family clans are at the castle, awaiting the birth, and trying not to kill each other in the interim.

Can things get worse? Always, in a Kate Daniels book. It turns out that the owner of the castle, the one hosting these delicate diplomatic negotiations, is none other than Hugh D'Ambray: Roland's warlord, his second-in-command, and someone very interested in Kate. It's not long after they arrive that Kate realizes Hugh knows exactly who she is, and intentionally arranged the whole affair just to get her trapped in a castle with him. However, he's not planning on killing her. First, because he's trying to convince her to return to Roland and fight with them. Second, because Hugh has the hots for Kate. While this gets under Curran's skin, Kate has her own reasons to be jealous. A young, pretty, and very clingy heiress from another pack just happens to be visiting the castle, for no explained reason. She has her hooks in Curran, hoping to break up his relationship with Kate and establish herself as the Beast Lord's mate. Throw into this volatile mix some new and deadly shapeshifter creatures that are trying to kill Desandra and her unborn babies, and we have a typical day in the life of Kate Daniels.

Another book in this series, and I'm still loving every read. This latest installment has the elements that made me fall in love with Kate in the first place: a fabulous main character, a steamy romance with a partner that is her match and not her better, equally well developed side characters whether they are friends or foes, a fast-paced plot line with well-described action, solid tension and suspense, and excellent world building. While I could happily spend the whole series in the Atlanta setting, I also enjoyed the change of scenery. The reason my rating for this book is a little lower than the other novels in the main series is because I felt like the book needed more time to develop the conflict concerning Desandra and her family. The story is a little ambitious, and by combining the Hugh D'Ambry plot with the pregnancy plot, I felt the latter was short-changed. I also wanted Kate to have more opportunities to make those smug, self-righteous shapeshifter snobs realize that she was far more incredible than they initially judged. She has a few moments to rub her awesomeness in their face, but considering how poorly they treated her in the first two-thirds of the book, I wanted her to have more grand of a payback. Also, Curran's deception was a bit contrived. These flaws aside, it was still a thoroughly engrossing read from first page to last, and more enticing than many other fantasy books I've read. I can't get enough of this series, and truly wish there were more than ten books in it. ( )
  nmhale | May 30, 2021 |

Andrews, Ilonaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, RenéeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our fathers, wherever they may be.
I spun the spear.
Why, were you afraid they'd take your man card away?"
"Are you going to help me or just make fun of me?"
"Can't I do both?"
You're sending some confusing signals."
"I'm sunbathing," Doolittle told him. "And enjoying my book. Don't bother me with your foolishness."
"Maybe later?" Keira said. "I have plans."
"What plans?" Barabas peered at her.
"I was going to go and think deep thoughts, somewhere in the sun."
"With your eyes closed? George asked.
"Possibly."
"Look, I've tried. I walk into a pool, I thrash, and then I sink."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,341,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible