Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) by Ilona Andrews

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels) (edition 2013)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels (6)

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, face a crisis when many of the Pack's shapeshifting children cannot control their beasts and don't live to adulthood. With the young people's survival and the Pack's future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept an offer made by the European packs -- but they have little doubt that they're heading straight into a trap.… (more)
Member:JetSilver
Title:Magic Rises (Kate Daniels)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2013), Mass Market Paperback

Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |
I love all the Kate Daniels stories, but this one always makes me mad because of what Curran does. I understand why he does it, and I even would probably do the same thing in his place, but that doesn't mean that I like it or like him while he's doing it.

Of course, there are things that are said and happen in this book which start to show up in the next books, so it all needed to happen to move the story forward.

Ilona Andrews is great at coming up with plots upon plots and layers and layers in the books. There are easter eggs that show up in early books that lead into things that happen 3 books later, and you don't notice them unless you are binge reading them and reading them all back to back. Otherwise they are just hidden, but it makes great rereading pleasure.

I'm going to be desperately sad when the last book comes out. At least we'll have some other stories in the world to hopefully look forward to. ( )
  tetisheri | Aug 15, 2020 |
Sometimes, if you're very lucky, when you persist with a series, the author rewards you with a book that is even better than you expected it to be. For me, "Magic Rises" does that.

When I was only a quarter of the way through, I was going, "Wow, it's like the whole thing moved to Blu-Ray with a digitally re-mastered soundtrack."

Several things in the book worked well for me.

The Kate/Curran relationship has stabilised in a believable way (I hate series that keep on and on with the will they? won't they? thing).

The stability between Kate and Curran leads to an examination of the nature of Kate's relationship with the Pack. How far can a non-shapeshifter, no matter how powerful, truly be accepted by the Pack?

Answering this question is made much more interesting and more urgent by the fact that Curren, Kate and a small part of the Pack have accepted an assignment on the Black Sea guarding a pregnant werewolf who is under threat from three shapeshifter clans, including her own. This takes the Pack off their home turf and gives them common enemies (basically anyone who isn't Pack).

It turns out that the Pack's selection for the Black Sea assignment is part of a plot that is related to Kate and the people who hunt her on behalf of her father. This was a neat way of carrying on the story arc while keeping it fresh.

Yet the bits I enjoyed most weren't plot-related. Ilona Andrews excels at two things: pulling at my emotions with scenes like the one where two young shapeshifter girls go loup and are threatened with execution and combat scenes, like the one where Kate has to deal with two huge wild beasts charging at her when she is armed only with her swords.

Their scenes sing. They are vivid and full of life and make the books worth reading.

My only criticism is that the final conflict went on longer than I thought it needed to and the ending itself felt a bit too blockbuster-let's-blow-everything-up for me.

"Magic Rises" was a fun read that has left me hungry for the next book in the series. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | Aug 13, 2020 |
I love Ilona Andrews's "Magic Rises" series. I started reading this husband/wife team when introduced to them by a friend. I pre-ordered this novel months ago and as soon as it popped up on my Kindle (12:01 A.M.) I stayed up all night into the morning to finish it. Usually I end up feeling satisfied and so happy when I get to delve back into Kate and Curran's world. However, with this newest novel, I just ended up feeling disappointed and aggrieved.

This novel has Kate and Curran traveling to Europe as a neutral third party in a dispute over a pregnant shapeshifter and her unborn twins. Kate and Curran decide to go since the terms of the contract state that Curran would be provided pancea that helps prevent shapeshifter children from going loup. With them having to be careful to not insult or get involved with anything that would cause them to be killed they both know that they are walking into a trap. Bringing along some of their most trusted allies from the Pack (we finally get some more Derek!) readers get to delve more into the Pack's history in Europe. We also get more forward momentum concerning Kate and her background.

I gave this novel 3 stars due to there being way too many inconsistencies with how Curran and Kate acted, the brushoff of a major character, and shapeshifter history is done away with for the sake of a plot.

Kate and Curran-I don't want to spoil for potential readers but have to say that after five novels I feel as if I know Kate and Curran pretty well (yes I know they are fictional characters). Curran and Kate have been through so much to be together. She has told him everything about herself and he has done the same. They love each other. So for this 'roadblock' to be thrust upon the reader I thought was beyond ridiculous. Keeping secrets from one another (when it is something big) is not something they do. When w find out the reason well I ended up just feeling annoyed. The reason beyond all of the secrecy was a joke (in my opinion) and I think just added to cause readers to feel turmoil. There were enough things going on in this novel without this being a plot point. Frankly this ended up taking way too much time away from other more important things.

Major character brushoff- I just want to say that I would have been more upset about the entire thing if it made any sense (once again reading this series for such a long time it was pretty unrealistic) but the readers do not get a chance to process the event before we are thrown into another scene.

I wish that this novel had focused more on the European shapeshifters since we have not really heard about them before. Also it was trying to keep all of the other new characters straight in this novel and wish that the Andrews had spent more time on giving them more of a personality.

I still recommend to long time readers of this series. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Ah, this one got me in the gut. Not short of misunderstandings between lovers, the gang goes to the old world and rubs elbows with a really old clan and can I really, in my heart, decide who's more to blame with the fallout between Curran and Kate?

At least we know those two love each other, even if the pressure's on for greater alliances, Panacea shipments, love rivalries, get in the way.

And then there's the totally gratifying reveals about Kate's past. Yummy.

And I know it's kinda a cheat to keep saying that This Book is now my favorite of the series, because, chances are, at this rate, the Next Book will be my favorite, according to basic pattern recognition, but I can unequivocally say that I had an immensely grand time reading this.

Could this series quickly be becoming one of my favorite UF's? Possibly. It's kinda scary. I've already read a ton of UFs.

Of course, nothing is purely silver linings. I'm still reeling from a favorite character's death. It was a great sendoff, but still, it hurts. I just don't understand why it couldn't have been the self-styled pervert, instead. At least I could have chuckled a little bit. But no. It has to be... but alas, I can't spoil such things here...

*cry*

*cry*

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raudman, RenéeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To our fathers, wherever they may be.
I spun the spear.
Why, were you afraid they'd take your man card away?"
"Are you going to help me or just make fun of me?"
"Can't I do both?"
You're sending some confusing signals."
"I'm sunbathing," Doolittle told him. "And enjoying my book. Don't bother me with your foolishness."
"Maybe later?" Keira said. "I have plans."
"What plans?" Barabas peered at her.
"I was going to go and think deep thoughts, somewhere in the sun."
"With your eyes closed? George asked.
"Possibly."
"Look, I've tried. I walk into a pool, I thrash, and then I sink."

Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost.

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its making is closely guarded by the European packs, and there’s little available in Atlanta.

Kate can’t bear to watch innocents suffer, but the solution she and Curran have found threatens to be even more painful. The European shapeshifters who once outmaneuvered the Beast Lord have asked him to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap…

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,667,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible