Tudors: The History of England from Henry…

Tudors: The History of England from Henry VIII to Elizabeth I (original 2012; edition 2014)

by Peter Ackroyd (Author)

Rich in detail and atmosphere and told in vivid prose, Tudors recounts the transformation of England from a settled Catholic country to a Protestant superpower. It is the story of Henry VIII's cataclysmic break with Rome, and his relentless pursuit of both the perfect wife and the perfect heir; of how the brief reign of the teenage king, Edward VI, gave way to the violent reimposition of Catholicism and the stench of bonfires under 'Bloody Mary'. It tells, too, of the long reign of Elizabeth I, which, though marked by civil strife, plots against the queen and even an invasion force, finally brought stability. Above all, however, it is the story of the English Reformation and the making of the Anglican Church. At the beginning of the sixteenth century, England was still largely feudal and looked to Rome for direction; at its end, it was a country where good governance was the duty of the state, not the church, and where men and women began to look to themselves for answers rather than to those who ruled them.… (more)
Member:Dunkelbaum
Title:Tudors: The History of England from Henry VIII to Elizabeth I
Authors:Peter Ackroyd (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2014), 528 pages
Tags:English history, History

Tudors: The History of England by Peter Ackroyd (2012)

Recently added byDeusXMachina, RABateman, mlleigh, betsytacy, private library, robiobinsk, TheEllieMo, jrtanworth

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
So...I took my time with this book. All in all it took about a month to read it. And when I got to the very end of the book, I was a little disconcerted to read (on the very last page, no less), "THIS ENDS VOLUME ONE." What? Volume one of what?? Excuse me? How did I not KNOW this was the second in a set? And who on earth publishes history/nonfiction in multi-volumes anymore anyway?!? Anywho, annoyed rant finished, I flipped back to the cover of the book, the title page, the cataloging information, the list of other books written by Ackroyd, and nada. The only place it said anything about this being part of a set was on the back flap/author blurb. I realize this has little to do with content and more to do with the packaging, but my point is (and I do have one!) my reading experience was slightly put off by not knowing until THE VERY LAST PAGE that the book I just finished was neither the first nor the last in a series.

The content itself was just fine, if a little dry at times. This was just a snapshot of English/British history, which is why I didn't think it was part of a series. Most of the book was concerned with Elizabeth I, and I must say I now want to read more about Mary, Queen of Scots. Fascinating stuff, that British history. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
A study of the Reformation in England. Good background to understand the English Civil War under Cromwell. ( )
  Waltersgn | Mar 11, 2018 |
Typically of Ackroyd, this book is beautifully written, he uses his novelist's skill to tell us a very complicated story. As he sums it up, the theme of this book is reformation, both of the church and of government. Oddly he essentially dispenses with Henry VII and dives straight into Henry VIII. Over the last few years I have picked up a lot of background information on this period both from the "Shardlake" series and from Hilary Mantel's wonderful duo of books, so it was only when we got to Edward VI that I began to learn new things, and from that point on in this book, I was captivated. I had not realised how critical his reign was to the emergence of the particularly English form of Protestantism that gradually transmutes of the following two reigns into Anglicanism. I had also never known that the beginning of social and economic policy lay in Elizabeth's reign. I was also intrigued by Ackroyd painting the iconic Elizabeth as forever torn by doubt as to the right course of action, whether it be in terms of marriage, the succession, or politics.
Overall an excellent and rewarding read! ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 8, 2016 |
If you are an English history buff, this is the book for you for everything about the Tudors is here; the intrigue, the reformation, the closing of the monasteries, creation of the Anglican church, the burnings, the beheadings, new countries to explore, and all in Peter Ackroyd’s worthy and descriptive writing. I filled several notepads with details I wanted to look up on the Internet for more information. I heartily recommend this book.
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Tudors: The History of England from Henry VIII to Elizabeth I by Peter Ackroyd
528 pages

★★★★

I believe this title and subtitle make this book fairly obvious so I’ll skip much of a synopsis on this one. It’s the history…of England…during the rule of Henry VIII to Elizabeth I. It focuses more on the political and religious aspects of history so I won’t say it’s really an overall history but that would make for an awfully big book (over 500 pages is enough for me). This is book two of a series, the first being called Foundation and a third being released in October called Rebellion and at least one more to follow afterwards. It should be noted that I did not read the first one when delving into this one, mostly because I was unaware there was a first one.

If you’re interested in the time period or if you like English history, this might be a book for you. But the look I normally get when I toted this book was around was “who reads this stuff?!” It was quite a good book – well written and well researched. I’m afraid at some times it did get a little overwhelming and boring. I made it through those sections but don’t ask me what I actually read in those parts – more of my eyes following the words while my minds goes elsewhere type thing. Overall, worth the read for this history geek. I hope to get to the first book – history out of order? I live for danger ;-). And maybe read the rest of the series as it comes out. Quite the undertaking and I give Peter Ackroyd credit for pulling it off.

UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
The land was flowing with milk and honey. On 21 April 1509 the old king, having grown ever more harsh and rapacious, died in his palace at Richmond on the south bank of the Thames. The fact was kept secret for two days, so that the realm would not tremble. Yet the new Henry had already been proclaimed king.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,577,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible