A Man Called Ove (2012)

by Fredrik Backman

8,203570844 (4.3)617
Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon; the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him 'the bitter neighbour from hell'. But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time? Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.… (more)
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (Electablue)
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (Electablue, MsMaryAnn)
    Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (Iudita)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (_debbie_)
    Exit by Belinda Bauer (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels feature curmudgeonly main characters who become connected to the world around them despite themselves. Also, pushy cats.
    Shadow Life by Hiromi Goto (villemezbrown)
    The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old by Hendrik Groen (ksnider)
    ksnider: An older man, alone but not alone. Humor, unlikely romance.
    A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler (ollonborren)
    The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick (dawnlovesbooks)

English (550)  German (5)  Danish (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Arabic (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (570)
This book made me sad and happy at the same time. Ove is one of my all-time favorite characters & following his life was a true pleasure. ( )
  Ellen-Simon | Jun 27, 2022 |
I loved this book - So much. It has entered my favorites list. I don't think a review will be forthcoming. I don't have the right words. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Jun 26, 2022 |
It was a chore to finish. I wanted to like this book! There was nothing original about it except there were slightly fewer cliches jammed in it than I expected, once I realized how predictable the book was. Star and a half rating. Deeply annoying and a waste of time. ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 20, 2022 |
A Man Called Ove slowly stole my heart. Like so many things I have come to love through the beginning I was sure I would dislike it. As a general rule I don't enjoy things that are over hyped so I did not start reading with the highest expectations.

Ove is a grouch. Only his beautiful wife can stand him, and no one is quite sure why or how. The story is told through Ove's current day and his past which allows us to see how Ove came to be the man he is.

A Man Called Ove was more than the story of one man. This was the story of love and how love can come in many forms. A neighbor, a friend, someone we once thought an enemy. We are rarely as alone as we feel we are.

The fact that there is a cat involved in the story is only an added bonus! ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
I cried so much ( )
  kritieeee | Jun 16, 2022 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wahlund, Torstensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.
Another silence, as if two gunmen have suddenly realized they have forgotten to bring their pistols.
Then Mum died. And Dad grew even quieter. As if she took away with her the few words he'd possessed.
Had Ove been the sort of man who contemplated how and when one became the sort of man one was, he might have said this was the day he learned that right has to be right.
He contented himself with remembering that on this day he'd decided to be as little unlike his father as possible.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,619,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible