A Man Called Ove (2012)

by Fredrik Backman

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon; the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him 'the bitter neighbour from hell'. But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time? Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.… (more)
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (Electablue, MsMaryAnn)
    Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (Electablue)
    Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels deal with serious issues with a light, humorous touch, which does not detract from the painfulness of the characters' situation.
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (Iudita)
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (_debbie_)
    Shadow Life by Hiromi Goto (villemezbrown)
    Exit by Belinda Bauer (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels feature curmudgeonly main characters who become connected to the world around them despite themselves. Also, pushy cats.
    The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83 1/4 Years Old by Hendrik Groen (ksnider)
    ksnider: An older man, alone but not alone. Humor, unlikely romance.
    A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler (ollonborren)
    The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick (dawnlovesbooks)

English (506)  German (5)  Danish (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (527)
Lovely story, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
  pamirick | Jun 10, 2021 |
I was supposed to be reading this for book club, but I can’t. I got to page 6 and that’s more than enough time spent in Ove’s company.

Very much not for me. ( )
  pgchuis | Jun 6, 2021 |
What a great book! Hilerical, which is a cross between "hilarious" and "hysterical", and it makes you feel good, too. Grumpy old man misses his wife so much that he tries to join her, but he gets so mad at his neighbors' incompetencies that he can't quite kill himself. The community discovers as the story moves along that Ove isn't such a bad guy. There are many laugh-out-loud moments in this book that was translated from the original Swedish and takes place in that country "with a climate similar to that of Maine". One of the best books I've read this year. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
Ove is a very grumpy old man. He will yell at you and will call you an idiot, but he will go out of his way and help you out in his own way. The books has interesting format, and is almost 2 books in one, where every other chapter tells the story of Ove's life from young adolescent to current day, and the other chapters are telling the story of the current day where Ove has been trying to complete a task for his wife but is constantly interrupted by meddling fools.. A man called Ove is a feel good story and I can see Tom Hanks will be playing the part perfectly as a Saab owner. ( )
  sjh4255 | May 4, 2021 |
It took me a while to finish this book, just because I was reading so many others more action-packed books, but I have to say, this one completely amazed me. The story is touching, deep, heart-warming and just everything I wanted out of it. The storytelling and the writing style are perfectly done and there are no words that would describe how much I end up loving the main characters. And the support characters as well. And it will make you laugh. And cry. And cry and laugh even harder. ( )
  MargaretGwen | Apr 23, 2021 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wahlund, Torstensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.
Another silence, as if two gunmen have suddenly realized they have forgotten to bring their pistols.
Then Mum died. And Dad grew even quieter. As if she took away with her the few words he'd possessed.
Had Ove been the sort of man who contemplated how and when one became the sort of man one was, he might have said this was the day he learned that right has to be right.
He contented himself with remembering that on this day he'd decided to be as little unlike his father as possible.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,084,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible