A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove (2012)

by Fredrik Backman

English (355)  German (5)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (371)
My mother (who mainly reads book-club books) suggested this one and I thought it'll be fine, but probably not interesting enough to really engage me (I like slightly off-kilter books best, or so I think).

This turned out to be a real tear-jerker for me, and everything that makes me cry gets at least an extra half-star uptick! The many characters were compelling drawn and well-differentiated, the plot (basically a series of flashbacks detailing his life, interspersed with episodes from the present) held my attention, and I soon found myself finding excuses to go for a walk so that I could keep reading my book in peace, finishing it in relatively record time (for me, these days).

Only negative would be that I found Ove's repeated attempts to accomplish a particular goal in several different ways, all unsuccessful, to be sad rather than comic, which I suspect was the intention. But that's an awfully minor quibble for such an engaging, funny, heartbreaking book.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I was on the fence when I first started this. Ove is curmudgeon, and I utterly loathed how he treated some folks, in particular folks in customer service. But ... it won me over in the end. In no small part, I'm sure, because Ove reminds me of my dad. It is funny and beautiful and moving. It is true to humanity in the shaping of its characters. I laughed some. I teared up some. I, who am chronically averse to romance, loved how he felt about his wife. It's easy to see why this was an international sensation. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 16, 2018 |
Ove is a grumpy old man whose wife died six months ago. Stuck in his routines and desperately missing her, he considers a half dozen ways of killing himself. The story alternates between chapters telling his personal biography, from childhood through to his marriage and conflicted measurement with a neighbor, and the present time, in which he helps his neighbors, a cat, and the estranged friend.

It is a fun story, if predictably stereotyped. The writing tries hard to be charming, and I think it mostly fails. ( )
  breic | Sep 11, 2018 |
I'm halfway through and I'm laughing and crying.

Made it to the end laughing and crying the whole way through. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
This was an absolutely delightful story. I didn't think so at first. In the beginning I was mostly frustrated by Ove's repeated attempts to kill himself and his chronic rudeness. Just as in real life relationships, we learn that there is much more to Ove than meets the eye. It takes the combined efforts of his neighbors to draw him out, but eventually he emerges as a truly lovely person. The pivotal character in the story is a "pregnant foreign woman" who seems to see through his gruff and rude exterior and decides to push her way in to his life. I will definitely read more by Fredrik Backman. ( )
  nittnut | Aug 31, 2018 |
Den svenske suksessbloggeren Fredrik Backman drar oss gjennom en forutsigbar fortelling som trykker på alle de rette knappene inntil vi er trygt plassert innenfor vår egen komfortsone.
added by annek49 | editNRK, Knut Hoem (May 9, 2013)

Livet är obegripligt, världen är läskig och det går inte att skydda sig mot den. Fredrik Backman berättar underhållande om botemedlet i sin debutroman.
added by annek49 | editDN, Lotta Olsson (Jan 14, 2013)

Genom humorns prisma belyser ”En man som heter Ove” teman som åldrande, vänskap, sorg, livslust och den föränderliga mansrollen. Boken är varken behärskad eller finputsad – delar är återvunna från Café-bloggen och har skarvats in lite slarvigt – men den är en skruvad och gripande romandebut som mycket väl kan vara början på ett stort humoristiskt författarskap.

This word-of-mouth bestseller has sold more than 650,000 copies in Sweden and has been a hit across Europe. It deserves to do at least as well here. I loved A Man Called Ove so much that I started to ration how much I read to prolong my time with this cantankerous, low-key, misunderstood man. If you enjoyed Rachel Joyce’s marvellous bestseller, The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry, you will love this book.

Each short chapter of A Man Called Ove could stand alone as a beautifully crafted short story. Bring the chapters together and you have the most uplifting, life-affirming and often comic tale of how kindness, love and happiness can be found in the most unlikely places

Backman's tale of 59-yea-old curmudgeon, Ove, not only captured the hearts of Backman's fellow Swedes, but has also swept across Europe as a word-of-mouth best-seller; a domino effect that suggests community spirit and social responsibility isn't quite so lacking as we're often told it is....On occasion the slightly repetitive tone becomes cloying, but Backman can tickle the funny bone and tug on the heart strings when he needs to, and is a clever enough storyteller to not overindulge in either.

For those of you who don't want your fiction to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, A Man Called Ove isn't for you. Yet it's surprisingly cheering to think how many people have embraced this simple but heartwarming novel.

Backman, Fredrikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Soidro, SiiriToimetajasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JoanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werner, StefanieÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dear Neda. It's always meant to make you laugh. Always.
Ove is fifty-nine.
Death is a strange thing. People live their whole lives as if it does not exist, and yet it's often one of the great motivations for living. Some of us, in time, become so conscious of it that we live harder, more obstinately, with more fury. Some need its constant presence to even be aware of its antithesis. Others become so preoccupied with it that they go into the waiting room long before it has announced its arrival. We fear it, yet most of us fear more than anything that it may take someone other than ourselves. For the greatest fear of death is always that it will pass us by. And leave us there alone.
Another silence, as if two gunmen have suddenly realized they have forgotten to bring their pistols.
Then Mum died. And Dad grew even quieter. As if she took away with her the few words he'd possessed.
Had Ove been the sort of man who contemplated how and when one became the sort of man one was, he might have said this was the day he learned that right has to be right.
He contented himself with remembering that on this day he'd decided to be as little unlike his father as possible.

Meet Ove. He’s a curmudgeon—the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him “the bitter neighbor from hell.” But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn’t walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove’s mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents’ association to their very foundations.

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon; the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him 'the bitter neighbour from hell'. But must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time? Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,952,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible