Farming: A Hand Book (1971)

by Wendell Berry

The sanity and eloquence of these poems spring from the land in Kentucky where Wendell Berry was born, married, lives, farms, and writes. From classic pastoral themes both lyrical and reflective, to a verse play, to a dramatic narrative and the manic, entertaining, prescient ravings of Berry's Mad Farmer, these poems show a unity of language and consciousness, skill and sensitivity, that has placed Wendell Berry at the front rank of contemporary American poets.… (more)

These poems are very personal. As in, they are all very specific to Wendell Berry. They are all told from the viewpoint of a man, specifically Wendell Berry. They are very specific to a place, eastern Kentucky. There is very little universality to be found here. And I'm confident that Berry would say that is both all right and somewhat the point.
From an artistic and technical standpoint, there are images and metaphors used many times in different poems. There is just a feeling of sameness across the collection. I cannot recommend it. ( )
  Treebeard_404 | Apr 18, 2024 |
I read this while taking a poetry class and really liked it, which is unusual for me and modern poetry. I taught at Pikeville, KY ad felt Berry spoke for the region. ( )
  antiquary | Apr 18, 2010 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,645,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible