Ricochet: A Novel (2006)

by Sandra Brown

When Detective Sergeant Duncan Hatcher is summoned to the home of Judge Cato Laird in the middle of the night to investigate a fatal shooting, he knows that discretion and kid-glove treatment are the keys to staying in the judge's good graces and keeping his job. At first glance, the case appears open-and-shut: Elise, the judge's trophy wife, interrupted a burglary in progress and killed the intruder in self-defense. But Duncan is immediately suspicious of Elise's innocent act. His gut feeling is that her account of the shooting is only partially true--and it's the parts she's leaving out that bother him. Duncan investigates further and quickly finds his career, as well as his integrity, in jeopardy--because he can't deny his increasing attraction to Elise Laird, even if she is a married woman, a proven liar, and a murder suspect.--From publisher description.… (more)

Suspense
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
Suspense in which a decent cops worst enemy may be his own conscience and trusting the wrong person could mean the difference between life and death.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 28, 2021 |
Erin St. Claire writing as Brown, Sandra

3/21/18 Done. Would never recommend this book and it was not time well spent IMO. Romance?!? This is not romance, more like lust which can be fine but I think it was awkward adding sex scenes to the detective mystery. Instalove and the h is like do whatever you want with me in bed because I love you so, so much and H is all in turmoil because he loves and wants her so bad but he's keeping his gun nearby because he doesn't really trust her.

Not a fan of the narrator. His girl voices .... not good.

I can't imagine ever reading another book by this author. A 13 hour CD and the truth of the story is revealed in the last hour, as expected but the previous 12 hours weren't that memorable, suspenseful or exciting. I hate mysteries. h had all the answers but couldn't tell the H because it would only make it a 2 hour story. The monologuing by the bad guy was of course caught on tape so he'll be easily prosecuted. I guess my f-i-l liked it for the "twists" which I was "whatever" about.
-----------

2/23/18 My father-in-law asked me if I ever read it because he just finished it and really liked it. He offered to lend me his Kindle so I could read it. So for him, I will read it so we can talk books. Found it on CD, great!
-----------

Ut-oh it opens on a court case with cops and lawyers and a judge. *sigh* Where are the fairies and magic? I actually hate mysteries which this is crowd-sourced as. I love my father-in-law though. (Last book I read for my mother, this one for my father-in-law, next for me? Actually I have plenty going for me) ( )
  Corinne2020 | Aug 22, 2021 |
Reading a Sandra Brown novel is always an entertaining treat and "Ricochet" is no exception. The homicide detective partnership pairs Detective Sergeant Duncan Hatcher and Detective DeeDee Bowen with the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department. There is mystery, suspense, romance, betrayal, secrets, police investigations, and court room drama for a roller coaster reading experience filled with unexpected twists and turns. At the end of each chapter, I found myself saying, "just one more chapter."
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 9, 2019 |
Note to self: in the future, let's stay clear from the insta-love romances.

This is another solid Sandra Brown book, but sorry, I couldn't get past that insta-lust turned insta-love without any character interaction to warrant it, unless we mention the mistrust, lies, general deception and rudeness they shower each other with for 75% of the story.

Hence, the 3 * rating instead of the 4*.

Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |

Brown, Sandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutsikaris, DennisReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Göhler, ChristophÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The recovery mission was called off at 6:56 p.m.

Sandra Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,416,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible