Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Rand McNally Goode's World Atlas by J. Paul…

Rand McNally Goode's World Atlas

by J. Paul Goode

Textbook, No Comment. ( )
  odinblindeye | Apr 2, 2013 |
Being a general-purpose atlas, probably intended more for library reference than for home use. A great deal of space is given over to thematic maps which will be of limited interest to home users. The regional maps are adequate, but they are not as detailed as they could have been if less space had been devoted to the thematic maps. Much more attention could and should have been devoted to the city and metropolitan area maps, as is the case with almost all atlases. ( )
  Big_Bang_Gorilla | Apr 30, 2011 |
Rivers, mountains, and continents? Oh, my... ( )
  Anagarika | Nov 3, 2009 |
Decent atlas. I had to use this in my beginning world geography course. Cant think of anything really wrong with this text, but there wasn’t anything really right. ( )
  MorHavok | Jul 16, 2007 |
I cut my teeth on this atlas, and sought out this edition sometime after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War. East Germany, Yugoslavia, and the USSR have gone the way of the Belgian Congo, Persia and Siam. I knew the Soviet Union was in trouble, BTW, when Time published a color-coded map of the Soviet republics, something I'd never seen before in a Western publication.
1 vote kencf0618 | Oct 11, 2005 |
[Dedication to the Eighth Edition of 1949:]
To
LIVINGSTON C. LORD, LLD.
in recognition of my debt to him
for intellectual inspiration
for uncompromising standards of scholarship
and for the rare gift of his friendship
and
to the sacred memory of
KATHERINE
PREFACE [to the eighth edition revised by Edward B. Espenshade, Jr.]
Background. Goode's School Atlas was recognized as a notable contribution to cartography and education when it appeared more than a quarter of a century ago.
INTRODUCTION
Utility of maps. There are many kinds of maps, and they are useful in countless ways.

First published in 1923, the Rand McNally Goode's World Atlas is the number-one college reference atlas used in the United States. Using the latest in geographic information technology, Goode's World Atlas offers carefully researched and well-designed maps on a variety of topics. The 21st edition reflects the changing world with a host of new maps and information.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible