Blood Debt by Nancy Straight
Her whole life, it had just been the two of them. Before her mother's last breath, she gave Camille the information she had craved her entire life: the identity of her father. Daring to contact him, Camille was welcomed by an entire family she never knew existed. But nothing comes without a price, as she discovers when her family claims a legendary heritage tracing back to a Centaur touched by Zeus. As she learns the secrets of her Centaur bloodline, she is drawn into a forbidden love with Drake. Her family acknowledges her life may be the blood debt required to pay for her mother's transgressions. The same person who once held her mother captive, and forced her into decades of hiding, now controls Camille. Her only chance is to seek a piece of her mother's past that will win her freedom and the life she desperately desires.… (more)

Blood Debt is ,for me, an amazingly refreshing and original paranormal romance novel, heavy on the Greek mythology. I have not read a lot about Centaurs, but I am blown away by how much I ended up loving this story by the time I was done. It kept getting better and better and by the end, I was so involved with the characters, that I was screaming for more.

The shifting point of view was confusing at first, but it didn’t take me long to adjust and the story flowed better, unfolding so rapidly in front of me that I forgot about it.

Camille had wondered who her father was, but never would have chose to lose her mom to find out. On her death bed, Camille’s mother did tell her who her father was and after some phone conversations and a background check (thank goodness for the internet, lol), she is flying to meet him. It struck me as odd, that anyone, especially a female, would go so quickly and alone on top of it. But, this is fiction and I am happy to overlook that and cut right to the chase.

centaurs photo: ~Centaurs in Love~ centaur.jpg

Camille’s heritage traces back to the first Centaur touched by Zeus, but she is totally unaware of it. She does not know she is a Centaur, let alone know about their traditions and customs.

In a Centaur relationship, think the Stepford Wives in reverse. I love it. I couldn’t help but laugh. At first I thought it was creepy and funny, the woman is “queen” and the men give them no flak for it, but then I thought, someone has to be the boss. LOL The men worship the ground the women walk on and would do nothing to cross the traditional barriers, until….Cami

How far will you go for love? Cami is going to show us the way…and I am shocked by what’s happening on the page…..oops, sorry, it’s a secret. You will need to read her story for yourself. I NEVER saw anything like this coming and I am stunned by Nancy Straight’s ability to take the story to such a creative level. It just keeps getting better and better.

I guess I need to explain that a bit and you will see what I mean. Blood Debt started out as an easy 3 star novel. If it would have stayed that way, I would not have been disappointed. But, it didn’t take long and I knew I had to bump the rating. So, I thought 3 is out, it’s gotta be a 4, and that was a nice surprise. I would have been happy with that. But, it didn’t stop there. Well, I think you know where this is going.

I have a love/hate relationship with the characters. The torment and sacrifice they go through to follow the demands of their race, customs and traditions had me wondering how this could have a happy ending. At one point, my heart fell and I was devastated, but I did recover, in a very surprising fashion.

The more I read, the faster I went. A fantastic buildup to an ending that left me screaming for more, but, thankfully, I don’t have to wait for Centaur Legacy, Book II.

Laura, my sister, had a spare, signed, first edition paperback of Blood Debt by Nancy Straight and gave me the book. Thanks so very much Laura.

Now, I need the rest of the books. This is definitely one series I want to finish.

“Normal isn’t an option when you’re extraordinary.”

“Your bravery is measured by how hard you try, not by whether you actually succeed.”

See more at http://www.fundinmental.com ( )
  sherry69 | Jan 16, 2019 |
If V. C. Andrews wrote about Centaurs, this would be the result. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Mar 22, 2017 |
Well this was a surprise. Not that you can tell from the cover, this is a PNR, about Centaurs no less. And it's really pretty good.

Overall, I liked this a lot more than I was expecting, even if some of it is completely nuts. The heroine is likeable and a bit feisty, and although she has the occasional brush with TSTL even she admits that to herself in the aftermath. The Centaur world is entertainingly fresh, and the major plot of this book is wrapped up and instead of a cliffhanger, there's a proper setup to the next book in the series, which I will very likely read.

Full (insanely long) review @Booklikes ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
This is now my second read from this author and I'm convinced she has the midas touch. A mind boggling story that just when I can't imagine another paranormal book holding too many new surprises this one has managed to prove me wrong. A unique story with it's roots in Greek mythology centers around a mystical creature not explored in any book I have read before or at least not like this. I was very entertained. I found my mind working over time trying to unravel the mystery surrounding this character and enjoying every new development in the story as I read them. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Blood Debt by Nancy Straight

Nancy Straight has written a fantastic and unique YA Paranormal Romance novel called Blood Debt, it’s the first in her new series (Touched #1). Nancy writing is easy to read, character descriptions are well written and the story held my attention right till the end. There are times when I felt so bad for Camille that your eye’s water up. My god this was a fantastic read.

We meet Camille who has just lost her mother to cancer, her moms last words to her is her father’s name and where he lives. Camille doesn’t want to be all alone and never knowing who her father was she decides she should call him. In a instant Camille’s life is about to change, travelling to meet him she finds out not only does she have 5 brothers and a step mother but she is not entirely human.

Camille learns that she is of Centaur blood, and how extremely powerful she will be coming from very strong bloodlines. But she also learning that her mother had ran away and has been in hiding for years. When Camille learns the Centaur women need to marry and keep their blood lines growing she struggles and her defenses go up as she is not going to be told what to do. I loved this part of the story Camille stands up for herself and tries to explain to her brothers that dating can be fun. Camille wants to learn about her ancestry and her none existing powers. Camille also meets the man whom her mother was betrothed too and that there is a blood debt that she may have to pay.

Struggling with all this new information and her new family she also meets Drake, who is already betrothed or shall I say engaged to be married. But instantly these two know that there is something between them. Feeling horrible for having a crush on her new friend’s fiancé, and still trying to figure out why she has no power and her blood debt how could this story get any better. Oh yes did I mention she gets kidnapped by her grandmother…….

As I cannot say anymore without using spoilers, THIS is a MUST read, Nancy Straight has written a fantastic first novel in this new series Touched. I am now going to have to figure out how to bribe Nancy to let me know when book 2 is going to be released and maybe I should you know read it to test out the flow and make sure there are no errors. (haha)

This new series is fantastic, and as I said earlier it is a must read. Thank you Nancy for posting your book in Making Connections YA Edition for our members to read and review, I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
  TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,090,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible