Notes from Underground; the Double (Penguin…

Notes from Underground; the Double (Penguin Classics) (original 1972; edition 1972)

by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Author)

Collected here in Penguin Classics are two of Fyodor Dostoyevsky's shorter works, Notes from Undergroundand The Double, translated by Ronald Wilks with an introduction by Robert Louis Jackson.Alienated from society and paralysed by a sense of his own insignificance, the anonymous narrator of Dostoyevsky's groundbreaking Notes from Undergroundtells the story of his tortured life. With bitter irony, he describes his refusal to become a worker in the 'anthill' of society and his gradual withdrawal to an existence 'underground'. The seemingly ordinary world of St Petersburg takes on a nightmarish quality in The Doublewhen a government clerk encounters a man who looks exactly like him - his double, perhaps, or possibly the darker side of his own personality. Like Notes from Underground, this is a masterly tragicomic study of human consciousness.Ronald Wilks's extraordinary new translation is accompanied here by an introduction by Robert Louis Jackson discussing these pivotal works in the context of Dostoyevsky's life and times. This edition also contains a chronology, bibliography, table of ranks and notes on each work.Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky (1821-1881) was born in Moscow. From 1849-54 he lived in a convict prison, and in later years his passion for gambling led him deeply into debt. His other works available in Penguin Classics include Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, The Idiotand Demons.If you enjoyed Notes from Underground and The Double, you might like Dostoyevsky's Demons, also available in Penguin Classics.… (more)
Member:dferdiaz
Title:Notes from Underground; the Double (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (1972), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

Work Information

Notes from Underground / The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1972)

I've not much to say about this book that hasn't been said before. Both stories are nice and deep.

'Notes from Underground' - a mind bender!
  Sumbul.Ali | Oct 19, 2021 |
Made me feel severely depressed and in need of human connection in the way only a Dostoyevsky novel can. Immediately questioned the meaning of my life and how I interact with the world. Pretentious bullshit, but I'll almost definitely cry over it the next time I get drunk. ( )
  ghostwalls | Aug 17, 2021 |

'Notes from Underground' - a mind bender!

'The Double' - a mind bender in a very different way!

Though hard going at times - I think that was largely due to translations - I loved this book. I'd love to read it in Russian, but I don't speak Russian :) ( )
  ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
Hey wait, are you a misanthrope? Do you feel betrayed and disappointed with life? Are you a bitter, bitter man? Why narrator, I never would have guessed! Why don't you spend the next hundred pages telling me about it? That sounds like loads of fun. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book contains two short novels that have some thematic common ground, which helps to explain why Penguin housed them in a single volume.

Notes from Underground:

This is a very dark and surprisingly modern novella in which an unsympathetic narrator, a retired junior civil servant, describes his gradual alienation from society, initially in a description of his philosophy, but then through narrating some of the episodes that led to his downfall. This book prefigures some of the themes of Crime and Punishment.

The Double:

This is an earlier novella that is more of a comedy, though the core story is a dark vision. Once again the narrator is a St Petersburg civil servant. This one sees himself as an essentially honest person, but gradually falls from grace, then encounters his double, a lookalike answering to the same name, who gradually takes over the "hero's" life. A compelling vision of a broken man trapped in his own nightmare ( )
  bodachliath | Jul 6, 2015 |

Fyodor Dostoyevskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coulson, JessieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Korin, AlexeiCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilks, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a sick man. ...I am an angry man.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,313,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible