Kinsey and Me: Stories by Sue Grafton

English (31)  Catalan (1)  All languages (32)
I enjoyed these short stories and interview with Ms. Grafton. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This book took me by surprise, in a good way. While I am a Kinsey fan, I haven't read any in a while because I tend to get put off by the repetition after reading so many books in one series. What impressed me even more than the Kinsey stories (and I have to admit the Lands' End story annoyed me...seriously? You wrote a story to help sell clothing?!? Come on!) was the emotional depth in the other short stories that were very autobiographical. I now have a much deeper appreciation for Kinsey as a character. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
The first half was light reading, little tales of Kinsey Milhone whodunit and tremendous fun. I read the second half at the tale end of a trip to move my mother from my childhood home to independent living and found myself gasping out repressed grief as I read her words. My mother has a chance to redo her life, to start over, but the ruination of that home and the memories within hurts just the same. Thank you, Sue Grafton for your unflinching gaze into the backwards relationship that can occur between a mother and a daughter, when the daughter has always been stronger. ( )
  Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |
This is an unusual book. The first half consists of short stories featuring Grafton's most enduring character, Kinsey Millhone, star of the Alphabet Mystery series. The stories are snappy and well-plotted and lack nothing in the way of Grafton's breezy first-person narration in the voice of Kinsey. My only regret is that due to their brevity there is no room for my favorite Grafton supporting character, the handsome octogenarian Henry Pitts.

The second half is a series of short stories/essays/vignettes featuring a character named Kit Blue, who Grafton describes in the introduction as her younger self. The pieces explore the sense of devastation and loss that Grafton/Blue felt after the death of her alcoholic mother and her father's subsequent remarriage, even as her own marriages fall apart. They are interesting psychological studies but don't really feature much in the way of plot or storyline. Still, Grafton eloquently captures her own pain and confusion growing up with two alcoholic parents whom she loved very much even as they failed to do much if any parenting. ( )
1 vote rosalita | Mar 14, 2018 |
This is a collection containing short fiction featuring Kinsey Millhone; an essay Grafton wrote titled "An Eye for an I: Justice, Morality and the Nature of the Hard-boiled Private Investigator, and All That Existential Stuff"; and a section of very dark and painful short stories written by Grafton following her mother's death. The Millhone stories are just plain fun---pure detection with very little embellishment. Pretty easy to figure out, if you just focus on what the author isn't focusing on. The essay alone would be worth the price of the book (had I purchased it, which I didn't). The final selections are brilliantly written, somewhat repetitive as to subject matter (a mother's alcoholic life and dreadful death), courageously autobiographical, and I hope redemptive for the author. I admire what she did, and forced myself to read to the end, for there is a glimmer of light there, but I really could have done without that part. It did, however, make me believe that Sue Grafton made peace with her mother's ghost and the utter dysfunction of her early family life, and I'm glad of it. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Feb 6, 2018 |
For Ivan, Marian, and Molly:

With admiration, appreciation, and affection.
A mystery short story is a marvel of ingenuity.

In 1982, Sue Grafton introduced us to Kinsey Millhone. Thirty years later, Kinsey is an established international icon and Sue, a number-one bestselling author. To mark this anniversary year, Sue has given us stories that reveal Kinsey’s origins and Sue’s past.

“I've come to believe that Grafton is not only the most talented woman writing crime fiction today but also that, regardless of gender, her Millhone books are among the five or six best series any American has ever written.”—Patrick Anderson, The Washington Post

Kinsey and Me has two parts: The nine Kinsey stories (1986-93), each a gem of detection; and the And Me stories, written in the decade after Grafton's mother died. Together, they show just how much of Kinsey is a distillation of her creator’s past even as they reveal a child who, free of parental interventions, read everything and roamed everywhere. But the dark side of such freedom was that very parental distance.

The same unique voice and witty insights readers fell in love with in A Is for Alibi permeate the Kinsey stories. Those in the And Me section trace a remarkable voyage, from anger to understanding, from pain to forgiveness. They take us into a troubled family, dysfunctional as most families are, each in their own way, but Grafton’s telling is sensitive, delicate, and ultimately, loving. Enriching the way we see Kinsey and know Sue, these stories are deeply affecting.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

Includes stories that detail Alphabet series heroine Kinsey MIllhone's origins, as well as true tales of the author's past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,661,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible