First to Find

by Morgan C. Talbot

Series: Caching Out (1)

Death is the hardest puzzle to solve.Margarita Williams escaped death at a young age, but its shadow has followed her all her life. Now, amidst the chaos of a new Australian roommate and mysterious, menacing neighbors, Death has set the puzzlemaker a puzzle of her own: someone is killing her fellow geocachers, one by one.And if she doesn't stop the murderer before he strikes again, Death will finally collect the soul that got away.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book via LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

This was a fun murder mystery where the victims and the suspects were in a local group of geocachers.

Before reading this book, I didn't know what geocaching was. Through the story, we learn just what geocaching entails.

There are a lot of interesting, fun characters, some side capers, and funny interactions. A nice, light, humorous story. The only thing I didn't like was the personification of death; that seemed a little overwrought. ( )
  leesalogic | Dec 8, 2013 |
I enjoyed this story. I was not familiar at all with the practice of geocaching before reading this book. After reading it, I think it could be a very fun and interesting hobby. That being said, someone who is already familiar with, interested in, or participates in geocaching may enjoy it even more than I did.
I loved all the puzzles in play in the story, and how Margarita used her skills and Bindi used her uncanny sense of smell to solve them. Not that her exceptional abilities with her nose didn't cause her troubles and also set the scene for some comedic moments.
I especially liked the fact that Margarita could defend herself, strong in mind and body. It was an interesting journey watching her overcome her fear that death would take anyone she cares about and learn to take a chance on love again, all while she tried to solve multiple murders before the local law officers could.
I would recommend this book.
I was given an ARC of this book for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  TinaMarieSays | Oct 30, 2013 |
*Book source ~ Many thanks to Red Adept for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Margarita Williams lives in Silver Creek, Oregon, works at the local hospital, is an avid geocacher and puzzle enthusiast. She’s just picked up a new Aussie roommate who was dumped by her fiancé upon landing in America and she has rented the other half of her duplex to some weird, but quiet neighbors. Life is fairly normal until one early morning when she runs out to find a new cache and while she does find it, she also finds a fellow cacher on the ground with a head wound. When he dies at the hospital later and sets off a string of weird events and cacher deaths, Margarita can’t help her curiosity and pits her sleuthing skills against the, to her mind, incompetent Acting Chief of Police in the hopes of nabbing the killer before more of her friends cache, er, cash it in at his hands.

My first experience with Morgan C. Talbot’s writing and I’m off and running at the first page. The story flows by so quickly that before I knew it I was done and clambering for more. While I had a basic understanding of geocaching before reading this book, the details provided in this twisty mystery are fascinating especially since they are provided via wonderful writing. The characters are detailed, fully dimensional and so interesting that they feel as if I can call them up and see if they’re up for some cache hunting. Until I remember they aren’t real. Kinda depressing, really. All of the twists and turns and the plethora of suspects kept me guessing until the end where Margarita and Bindi, the Super Sleuthing Duo, brought it all together. With humor, great characters, a twisty mystery, secrets and a hint of romance in the air there’s much to love in this beginning of a very promising series. All-in-all an excellent humorous mystery suitable for whiling away the hours. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Oct 11, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the early reviewers program. It was an enjoyable read. The story and characters were interesting and so was the geocaching theme. I am looking forward to more books in this series. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Jul 24, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a really interesting and original mystery, using the hobby of geocaching to spin a murder mystery with a lot of twists and turns. While some of the geocachers were a little hard to keep straight, even knowing next to nothing about geocaching I was still able to follow along almost completely, and in fact had my interest piqued enough to want to find out more about the hobby/sport. The mystery is a good one as well, with a satisfying and suspenseful solution. I look forward to more books in this series. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Feb 11, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Morgan C. Talbot's book First to Find was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,399,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible