The Pecan Man by Cassie Dandridge Selleck

The Pecan Man

by Cassie Dandridge Selleck

Great book, I love the authors writing style and the way the story was told, she's very talented. Not much more to say that hasn't already been said, I really liked the book.

I won this from a goodreads giveaway ( )
  cdevine18 | Sep 17, 2017 |
I listened to this as an audiobook, and I really loved it! The narrator did such a great job of giving a voice to the main character that I felt like I was listening to an older southern woman tell me a story about her life, not a narrator reading a book. The ending was very nice, wrapping things up nicely and including a great little surprise. ( )
  mmreed | Feb 4, 2017 |
This book reminded me of why I read books. Thoroughly enjoyable, full of surprises, real people of all kinds, and it is a darn good story. A well-written, slim southern novel -- simply wonderful reading. 1976 and race relations in the south at the time, the intimate story of a small group of people living their lives as well as they can. Events unfold that change every one of these lives profoundly. Charming and sobering. If you didn't live through this time or in the south, read the book for the educational value and history of it. I would give this book as a gift to my reading friends and relatives, and precious few books make that list. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
While I enjoyed this short novel, I did find it quite predictable except for a few things. Perhaps it is because my home is in the Deep South, and I could visualize all of it very well, even seeing the town and its main streets and businesses. What's interesting is that Selleck has tackled the issue of racism in a time period not often addressed in novels. There are plenty of novels from the slavery and Civil Rights era, but not many that look at it during the 70s and later. It might not be legal, but segregation still existed in many towns in subtle ways. The author addresses it well - it really was as she portrays it. ( )
  hobbitprincess | Dec 31, 2016 |
Amazing story! Would like to see more from this author! ( )
  CarynThomas33 | Jul 22, 2016 |

The Pecan Man is a work of Southern fiction whose first chapter was the First Place winner of the 2006 CNW/FFWA Florida State Writing Competition in the Unpublished Novel category. In the summer of 1976, recently widowed and childless, Ora Lee Beckworth hires a homeless old black man to mow her lawn. The neighborhood children call him the Pee-can Man; their mothers call them inside whenever he appears. When the police chief’s son is found stabbed to death near his camp, the man Ora knows as Eddie is arrested and charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, Ora sets out to tell the truth about the Pecan Man. In narrating her story, Ora discovers more truth about herself than she could ever have imagined. This novel has been described as To Kill a Mockingbird meets The Help.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:43 -0400)

"In the summer of 1976, recently widowed and childless, Ora Lee Beckworth hires a homeless old black man to mow her lawn. The neighborhood children call him the Pee-can Man; their mothers call them inside whenever he appears. When the police chief's son is found stabbed to death near his camp, the man Ora knows as Eddie is arrested and charged with murder. Twenty-five years later, Ora sets out to tell the truth about the Pecan Man"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible