Dancers Among Us: A Celebration of Joy in…

Dancers Among Us: A Celebration of Joy in the Everyday (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Jordan Matter (Author)

Collects pictures of dancers striking poses in everyday places and while doing everyday things, including in libraries, on subway platforms, at restaurants, and on beaches.
Member:livhsuen
Title:Dancers Among Us: A Celebration of Joy in the Everyday
Authors:Jordan Matter (Author)
Info:Workman Publishing Company (2012), Edition: Illustrated, 240 pages

Work Information

Dancers Among Us: A Celebration of Joy in the Everyday by Jordan Matter (2012)

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
Gorgeous... But, be warned! it is an art book. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I'll be honest, this book caught my eye at the library because the cover and many of the pictures inside as I gave it a quick flip through are just sexy as hell. But as I kept flipping, I started to get an idea of what the photographer was going for and ended up checking it out.

Matter has captured the dancers in his book in moments of incredible athleticism and grace against backgrounds that range from majestic to mundane. As they so often seem to float above it all, the dancers help remind us of the joy of living.

While his chapter introductions are a little too precious, I wish the footnotes section where he explained the logistics behind taking the photos was longer and more extensive. He utilized both planned shoots and guerrilla techniques in capturing his images and offered exact counts of how many leaps and jumps the dancers did to get the one perfect shot.

And there are so many perfect shots! Amazing, bold and beautiful shots!

And often sexy as hell. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

Dancers Among Us is a beautiful collection of photography featuring dancers in every day settings doing fantastic and unique poses. I forget how I stumbled upon this book when it first came out, but it immediately went on to my endless my list of “to buy” books on Amazon and sat there for a while. I finally snagged a copy during Book Outlet’s Black Friday sale (the only shopping I did that day) and I’m so happy I did. This book is so pretty – an excellent choice if you’re looking for a photography coffee table book (I can’t put it on ours because it’s too dirty).

The book is divided into different sections like love, loss and play. At the start of each section, Matter gives a little anecdote about his life to kick off the theme. Each section has a few quotes that fit the theme, and of course the images fit the themes as well. At the end of the book, Matter also provides insight into how many of the photos were taken, or the inspiration behind them.

My only negative about this book is in regards to the layout. There are times when the photos are bisected by the spine – dancers are never cut into, but the split in the pages still distracts the eye from the beauty of the photo. I think this book would have been better suited to a more rectangular layout. so that the left or right edges of the photos start at the spine, rather than being interrupted by it.

Regardless, this is a wonderful book and I’m glad to own it! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 17, 2014 |
A sweetly inspirational look at daily life, events and moments, featuring people with a grace beyond the typical mortal. It's great to know that the images weren't doctored to make models look like dancers... these *are* dancers (with dancers' feet and thighs :-) and their grace shows through. A book to savor. ( )
  SharS | Sep 28, 2013 |
I loved this book! Not only were the photographs beautiful, and Jordan Matters stories that went along with each section were inspiring. This book makes me want to get up and dance! ( )
  Shelby_Kuzma | May 25, 2013 |
For Lauren, Hudson, and Salish - you keep me dancing through life.
Like millions of children before me, I dreamed of playing professional baseball. But I never could have imagined the path I would follow and where it would lead me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,214,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible