Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Grace Takes Off (A Manor House Mystery) by…

Grace Takes Off (A Manor House Mystery) (edition 2013)

by Julie Hyzy (Author)

Member:pausanias
Title:Grace Takes Off (A Manor House Mystery)
Authors:Julie Hyzy (Author)
Info:Berkley (2013), 304 pages
Collections:Mom's Room, Cozy Mysteries, Your library
Tags:Mom

Grace Takes Off by Julie Hyzy

Grace Wheaton and her boss, Bennett Marshfield, are just winding up a trip to Europe. Their last stop is to a childhood friend of Bennett’s who now lives in Italy. Nico is frail and is surrounded by caregivers. Bennett’s becomes suspicious when he notices that a favorite piece of Nico’s artwork – he was with Nico when his friend acquired it – appears to be a fake. Could someone be stealing Nico’s artwork, selling it and replacing it with fakes?

But soon, Grace and her boss are on a chartered plane back to North Caroline when Grace notices a fellow-passenger adding something to Bennett’s meal. Things soon go from bad to worse, and when the passengers arrive in Charlotte, there are two bodies for police to contend with.

I just finished the previous book in the Manor House Mystery series, and commented in my review that Julie Hyzy was great at getting down to business, with the first murder in the book’s early pages. Not so Grace Takes Off. It’s over 100 pages in before there’s a dead body. Somehow, I didn’t mind because the situation Grace and Bennett found themselves in made such good reading.

Grace Takes Off may be the best book in the series. It’s really hard to tell, as they’re all written at such a consistently high level. All the nagging questions are resolved by the last page, and Grace has another man in her life. It remains to be seen whether this one will be any better than the last few. For such a together heroine, Grace really gloms onto losers. ( )
  NewsieQ | Jan 22, 2016 |
Grace Takes Off is the 4th book in the A Manor House series.

Grace and Bennett Marshfield have had a very enjoyable vacation touring Europe and have stopped off in Italy to visit with an old time friend of Bennett's, Nico. While looking at the collection of valuable paintings and such, Bennett notices that a Picasso piece is a fake. But since they are leaving the next day, there is time to really look into the matter.

At the last minute they need to change their flight plans and Nico's staff has secured them seats on flight back to Charlotte. On the light back home Grace is going to the galley to thank the stewardess for her attentiveness and notices another passenger putting a drug on Bennett's meal that would have surely killed him. Then when another passenger ends up dead, Grace is really concerned about Bennett's safety.

Once back at The Manor, Grace and Bennett begin to look into just who might want to see Bennett dead. At the same time they want to find out just how much of Nico' art collection might be forgeries, as they suspect they might be connected.

Hyzy gives the reader a well plotted story and exciting story that kept me guessing till the end as to who was behind wanting Bennett out of the picture. All the recurring characters are back to help and lend support to Grace as she attempts to get to the bottom of this dilemma. I'm even appreciating Frances more in each book.

I can't wait for the next book in this wonderful series. ( )
  FredYoder | May 8, 2015 |
My least favourite book of this series so far.

I've enjoyed the Manor House Mystery series to date; it's a solid cozy mystery series that takes place in North Carolina at a house-tuned-museum, along the lines of the Biltmore Estate.

Grace Takes Off, though, actually takes place in three locations. The mystery starts off in Italy, a large part of it continues on in the airplane on the way back, and it wraps up at the mansion in North Carolina. This is where, I think, the book went wrong for me, personally. Ultimately, the story ended up feeling disjoined and lacked any kind of flow.

The characters are all well-written and fleshed out (the recurring ones, anyway) and I like how more than a couple of them have evolved over the course of the series. I'm not sure what the author has in mind for Grace and Jack, but she's managed to keep me interested even though I don't have a lot of patience for a romance with too many hurdles.

As to the murder mystery itself - it was rather predictable, in that the bad guy felt obvious, but how everything connected to everything else remained nebulous until the very end.

Julie Hyzy also writes the White House Chef series and it started off slow; the first 3-4 books were 'ok' - good enough to keep me reading. But the last three books or so - WOW! - really took off and I've been hooked ever since. I'm hoping we'll see that kind of acceleration, in it's own fashion, in this series soon. ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 20, 2014 |
Grace Takes Off is the 4th book in the A Manor House series.

I can't wait for the next book in this wonderful series. ( )
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |

A trip to Italy's Tuscan countryside is a dream come true for Grace Wheaton, curator and manager of Marshfield Manor, until her boss becomes the target of a murderer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,512,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible