Fat Angie by e.E. Charlton-Trujillo

This is an absolutely fabulous read!! So very touching (painfully at times!), Fat Angie has the kind of heart, soul and kick-ass attitude of the shows it pays homage to throughout the book, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Freaks and Geeks.

I picked it out purely based on the title, but soon found it spoke to me in much more important ways. Anyone who has ever wanted to prove she is more than just what people think they know about her will hold Fat Angie close to her heart. And anyone who is a sucker for a sweet love story that proves there is someone out there who can look past appearances will find themselves falling in love with the characters.

Angie ("Fat Angie" to her tormentors and her mom) never gives up hope on the things that matter to her even when everything is beating her down. KC Romance (yep, that's her name) is a kindred spirit even if she looks more like she'd fit in with the popular girls. They both fight their own self-destructive spirits to emerge better for having met each other.

I hated finishing Fat Angie. Even after I waited the proper "this is waaay too good to start a new book right away" amount of time, I still found my next to be read title to pale in comparison. ( )
  booksandcats4ever | Jul 30, 2018 |
I didn't much care for the writing of this YA novel (too YA in style for me) but the plot was interesting. The mother Connie made my blood boil as in my opinion she was emotionally abusing her daughter rather than just being neglectful. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 19, 2017 |
Dangit. Never judge a book by its cover. Literally or figuratively. I was expecting some Precious/Push wannabe. But no. This book was full of complex depth that really spoke to the teenage trial - whether or not you've ever struggled with weight, whether or not you've lost someone to the military or war. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 20, 2017 |
Guidance counselor fiction. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
2.5 stars (I think the rating will be much higher for teens, especially those struggling.)

This is a good book for teens because it deals with a lot of life issues: bullying, growing up, sexual orientation, war, obesity, depression, cutting, suicide, parental neglect, death, family issues, basically everything that affects self-worth especially during the difficult time of the teen years.
Sadly I didn't connect with it as much probably because I'm old. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Dedicated to Linda Sanders-Wells
for believing that one big girl had so much potential
There was a girl.

Her sister was captured in Iraq, she’s the resident laughingstock at school, and her therapist tells her to count instead of eat. Can a daring new girl in her life really change anything?

Angie is broken — by her can’t-be-bothered mother, by her high-school tormenters, and by being the only one who thinks her varsity-athlete-turned-war-hero sister is still alive. Hiding under a mountain of junk food hasn’t kept the pain (or the shouts of "crazy mad cow!") away. Having failed to kill herself — in front of a gym full of kids — she’s back at high school just trying to make it through each day. That is, until the arrival of KC Romance, the kind of girl who doesn’t exist in Dryfalls, Ohio. A girl who is one hundred and ninety-nine percent wow! A girl who never sees her as Fat Angie, and who knows too well that the package doesn’t always match what’s inside. With an offbeat sensibility, mean girls to rival a horror classic, and characters both outrageous and touching, this darkly comic anti-romantic romance will appeal to anyone who likes entertaining and meaningful fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:05 -0400)

Fat Angie's sister was captured in Iraq, she's the resident laughingstock at school, and her therapist tells her to count instead of eat. Can a daring new girl in her life really change anything?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

e.E. Charlton-Trujillo's book Fat Angie: Rebel Girl Revolution is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,821,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible