dismiss

The 5th Wave (2013)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (1)

"Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them"--

English (317)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (319)
I wasn't sure I liked Cassie in the beginning. Kids against aliens...really? But the story works somehow. Her, Evan, Ben, Ringer, and Sammy will kick their asses! ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
  rrkreads | Jun 15, 2020 |
I'm checking it out, yo. I mean, it was supposed to be this big thing and I was kinda meh on the whole concept of dystopias about when this was all over the feeds, so I just didn't do it.

Then.

But now is a brand new day.

And today is all about the mass deaths. Let's do it in waves, each one so much more impressive and deadly than the last. Now let's add aliens and make them the perps behind it all.

Now make it a survival novel with a smart and logical and ruthless girl who's set to do whatever is necessary to survive.

Honestly, I thought this was pretty much a 5 star novel well past the mid-point. The style and pacing and the character and the dire feels were pretty awesome. I liked her family and I loved the effect that her brother going away had on her.

So where did I lose interest?

With the boy. Sorry. Also with the possibility that her little bro might be alive and the subsequent plot.

After all, what struck me as fantastic in the first more-than-half novel was the sheer "alien-ness" of the aliens, the disregard for us, their total commitment toward getting rid of us at all costs. I didn't want to ascribe a human-ish motive to anything that could go that far out of its way to destroy us, from flooding to making us bleed out almost universally. Even just letting us take ourselves out was fine. Doppelgangers, too. They wanted our world as a resource, but not us upon it. Got it.

I probably would have been great with [b:The Road|6288|The Road|Cormac McCarthy|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1439197219s/6288.jpg|3355573] ending. I just didn't want to see a real romance situation. Not here. Not like this. There just seemed to be so much potential for learning and discovery, even trusting others again. There was some of that, but it still felt like a waste with the big action scene we did get.

Am I getting picky and personal about this? Possibly. It's just that so many great premises these days just have to go the way of dinosaur plots. And for what? A cheap sex thrill? At the end of the world? Meh. Even Saving Private Sam was pretty predictable. Maybe I just didn't want a happy-ish ending with such much perfect dark setup.

Whatever happened to tragedies, yo? I expected tragedy. Horrors get this right. This could have been a great horror/sf. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I'm really struggling with how I felt about this book. I read somewhere that this was a Hunger Gamers meets Divergent...or something to that effect. I guess it was like that, but honestly, all these dystopian societies are starting to blend.

To me, series like these are always judged by how well they end, but for now, it is definitely a promising start. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
50 pages into The 5th Wave and I was hooked. At first, Cassie seemed a little over dramatic with her inner dialogue of being the last human on earth but then things started happening. About 1/3 of the way through the book Yancey started this point-of-view shifting thing that threw me off but ended up being a brilliant move. I loved getting to see the other characters and I had no clue who to trust and who not to trust. I even started to doubt whether or not Cassie was human or not human. I also didn't rest on the faith that a certain person was a main character so they wouldn't get killed. I honestly believed Yancey would kill any character at any time (except Cassie). I loved having a good alien invasion book! I can't wait to get more. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didnʼt turn out very well for the Native Americans. —Stephen Hawking
For Sandy, whose dreams inspire and whose love endures
Aliens are stupid. I'm not talking about real aliens. The Others aren't stupid. The Others are so far ahead of us, it's like comparing the dumbest human to the smartest dog. No contest.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible