The 5th Wave (2013)

by Rick Yancey

Series: The Fifth Wave (1)

"Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them"--

English (345)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (348)
Loved this book! Looking forward to the next in the series! ( )
  eccDaniel | Jun 10, 2022 |
I really enjoyed this book. Had started it when I received "Allegiant," so HAD to put it down to start and finish that one first! I think this is technically a Teen book, but I would definitely recommend to adults. There are some more mature situations that wouldn't make it work for J only. I really like Rick's writing style. His descriptions are just enough to get the idea firmly in your brain without getting sleepy with details. He really nailed the drill sergeant-like barking. I enjoyed the characters and how with each section they changed and told their part. Good story! ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Not entirely predictable. ( )
  leahsusan | Mar 26, 2022 |
At times this book was exciting and interesting but it was inconsistently so. Parts of it lagged. The romance between Cassie and Evan did not quite jibe; it just didn't seem to fit with the utter devastation of life on earth and everything Cassie had lost. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
Totally loved this sci-fi YA thriller by author Rick Yancey. Very clever in the way he doesn't reveal everything about the alien menace, but just keeps them far enough away that your imagination makes up something truly creepy.

This had everything I love. Fast pacing. Wonderful characters. Plotting that was in places so suspenseful I couldn't read it right before bed... loved the little romantic bits between Cassie and Evan especially, but also between Ben and Ringer. Also the twists and turns... you always knew the others were up to something sinister, but with scene, you could never quite trust who was a good guy and who was a bad guy. Just an all around great book, and I'm excited to read the rest of the series. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didnʼt turn out very well for the Native Americans. —Stephen Hawking
For Sandy, whose dreams inspire and whose love endures
Aliens are stupid. I'm not talking about real aliens. The Others aren't stupid. The Others are so far ahead of us, it's like comparing the dumbest human to the smartest dog. No contest.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,510,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible