The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Rick Yancey (Author)

Series: The Fifth Wave (1)

"Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them"--
Member:sami7
Title:The 5th Wave
Authors:Rick Yancey (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (2013), Edition: First Edition first Printing, 480 pages
Tags:to-read

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (2013)

Recently added byDMollel, osobena, JaydenC695, private library, BiancaLarissa, Morgan.Lee, DiThiele

English (318)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (320)
I found this very unnerving for the first 50% or so, then it was all dystopian YA tropes from there. I still want to know what happens, but for better or worse I'm no longer on the edge of my seat. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
I really need to read more of this genre!
It had me hooked from the very beginning. Bam! You find out about an alien invasion and how will people survive?
It's basically a quest,1 person is looking for another person.
But the things that happen during the book ...
It was a good book and I would have never picked it up had it not been for my daughter insisting. ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |
I agree with some of the reviewers who had issues with the way Yancey writes from a female point of view. It's as if he, the man, is standing to the side saying, "Y'all know you are silly like that and weak like that..." That said, Cassie does take charge of her circumstances -- until she melts into the arms of her man (no Katniss here). My larger problem is that the world-building is just so superficial. As I was reading, I was yearning for the artistry of [b:Z for Zachariah|69477|Z for Zachariah|Robert C. O'Brien|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347675635s/69477.jpg|2070709], which managed to sketch out the dystopia quickly and deeply, and really get into the mind and heart of his heroine. The world was terrifying in a way that this one... doesn't quite reach. I think Yancey tries to achieve terrifying through battle scenes, but the real terror lies in the every day. Like where is she getting all her food and water? isn't she terribly lonely? What was it like to go from kid to survivor? ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
I wasn't sure I liked Cassie in the beginning. Kids against aliens...really? But the story works somehow. Her, Evan, Ben, Ringer, and Sammy will kick their asses! ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
  rrkreads | Jun 15, 2020 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didnʼt turn out very well for the Native Americans. —Stephen Hawking
For Sandy, whose dreams inspire and whose love endures
Aliens are stupid. I'm not talking about real aliens. The Others aren't stupid. The Others are so far ahead of us, it's like comparing the dumbest human to the smartest dog. No contest.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,696,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible