Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The 5th Wave (Book 1) by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave (Book 1) (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Rick Yancey (Author)

Series: The Fifth Wave (1)

"Cassie Sullivan, the survivor of an alien invasion, must rescue her young brother from the enemy with help from a boy who may be one of them"--
Member:Amy0231
Title:The 5th Wave (Book 1)
Authors:Rick Yancey (Author)
Info:Penguin (2013), Edition: 01, 496 pages

Work Information

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (2013)

English (339)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (342)
Sloppy.
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Maybe I'm just a little thick, but this book had me guessing who the bad guys really were until about the 3/4 mark. This is a good thing, as I really liked the tension that gave to the book. I wasn't too crazy about the romance angle, which, thankfully, didn't get too thick overall, but it seemed like it was going to for awhile there. The aliens were extremely menacing and made for a formidable threat.
I see that this book is classified as YA, but be warned that there's quite a bit of swearing in it, including multiple F-bombs. The graphic violence is mostly subdued, although there is quite a lot of death. Sexual themes are pretty much non-existent - just high schoolers pining for each other like they do. I wouldn't feel comfortable, though, sharing this with anybody below mid-teen (15) age. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
In the first part of The 5th Wave, we are introduced to Cassie who is all alone in the wilderness after an alien invasion that has killed most of the people on Earth including Cassie's parents. From Cassie's perspective, we see the memories of her family and how they died. The point of view shifts several times after the first half of the book. Ben Parish and Cassie's brother, Sammy are taken captive and trained to kill the alien invaders. There is also Evan, who is one of the "Others." Evan saves Cassie's life and from that point on, the story really takes off. There is lots of action throughout the story and it is very well written. It just isn't my type of story. I probably will not read the sequel. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
A truly Epic read. ( )
  ReneGuenon | Sep 20, 2021 |

Rick Yanceyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bauer, ThomasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didnʼt turn out very well for the Native Americans. —Stephen Hawking
For Sandy, whose dreams inspire and whose love endures
Aliens are stupid. I'm not talking about real aliens. The Others aren't stupid. The Others are so far ahead of us, it's like comparing the dumbest human to the smartest dog. No contest.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,340,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible