Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey…

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

by Eben Alexander, III

On Life After Death by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This book is by a doctor whose views about life after death have had remarkable effects on the nursing care of dying patients. A very worthwhile read.

English (63)  Dutch (2)  All languages (65)
Nice thought. He's convinced, I'm not, alas. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
"A SCIENTIST'S CASE FOR THE AFTERLIFE Near-death experiences, or NDEs, are controversial. Thousands of people have had them, but many in the scientific community have argued that they are impossible. Dr. Eben Alexander was one of those people. A highly trained neurosurgeon who had operated on thousands of brains in the course of his career, Alexander knew that what people of faith call the "soul" is really a product of brain chemistry. NDEs, he would have been the first to explain, might feel real to the people having them, but in truth they are simply fantasies produced by brains under extreme stress. Then came the day when Dr. Alexander's own brain was attacked by an extremely rare illness. The part of the brain that controls thought and emotion--and in essence makes us human-- shut down completely. For seven days Alexander lay in a hospital bed in a deep coma. Then, as his doctors weighed the possibility of stopping treatment, Alexander's eyes popped open. He had come back. Alexander's recovery is by all accounts a medical miracle. But the real miracle of his story lies elsewhere. While his body lay in coma, Alexander journeyed beyond this world and encountered an angelic being who guided him into the deepest realms of super-physical existence. There he met, and spoke with, the Divine source of the universe itself. This story sounds like the wild and wonderful imaginings of a skilled fantasy writer. But it is not fantasy. Before Alexander underwent his journey, he could not reconcile his knowledge of neuroscience with any belief in heaven, God, or the soul. That difficulty with belief created an empty space that no professional triumph could erase. Today he is a doctor who believes that true health can be achieved only when we realize that God and the soul are real and that death is not the end of personal existence but only a transition. This story would be remarkable no matter who it happened to. That it happened to Dr. Alexander makes it revolutionary. No scientist or person of faith will be able to ignore it. Reading it will change your life"-- Provided by publisher.
"Near-death experiences are controversial. Thousands of people have had them, but many in the scientific community have argued that they are impossible. Dr. Eben Alexander was one of those people. A highly trained neurosurgeon, Alexander knew that what people of faith call the "soul" is really a product of brain chemistry. NDEs, he would have been the first to explain, might feel real, but they are fantasies produced by brains under extreme stress. Then came the day when Dr. Alexander's own brain was attacked by a rare illness. The part of the brain that controls thought and emotion--and in essence makes us human--shut down completely. For seven days Alexander lay in a hospital bed in a deep coma. Then, as his doctors weighed the possibility of stopping treatment, Alexander's eyes popped open. He had come back. Alexander's recovery is a medical miracle. But the real miracle of his story lies elsewhere. While his body lay in coma, Alexander journeyed beyond this world and encountered an angelic being who guided him into the deepest realms of super-physical existence. There he met, and spoke with, the Divine source of the universe itself. This story sounds like the wild imaginings of a skilled fantasy writer. But it is not fantasy. Before Alexander underwent his journey, he could not reconcile his knowledge of neuroscience with any belief in heaven, God, or the soul. That difficulty with belief created an empty space that no professional triumph could erase. Today he is a doctor who believes that true health can be achieved only when we realize that God and the soul are real and that death is not the end of personal existence but only a transition. This story would be remarkable no matter who it happened to. That it happened to Dr. Alexander makes it revolutionary"-- Provided by publisher.
  tony_sturges | Oct 10, 2017 |
This was everything I hoped it would be and then some. I have had, and am writing about, very clear pictures of heaven. Dr. Alexander's descriptions have matched my limited ability to describe my own visions - giving further weight to my own "proof." ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Alexander's experience is remarkable and gives us all much reason to think deeper about what happens after we die. ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
Oh My Flying Spaghetti Monster! Can anyone please explain how a Lifetime Original Movie script got pawned off as "non-fiction"? Or how a neurosurgeon knows seemingly nothing at all about neurobiology? Or even something fuzzy like neuropsychology? I alternated between laughter and head-shaking.

In the 1985 (largely forgettable) film Ladyhawke, Matthew Broderick as Phillipe's response to Rutger Hauer as Navarre's statement that Phillipe was a "sign from God"
Phillipe: Sir, the truth is, I talk to God all the time, and, no offense, but He never mentioned you.

Well, Mr. Alexander, I suppose I should be less than surprised that your anecdotal claptrap climbed so high on the bestseller list. You would have gotten two stars for your soft writing style, but you got dinged one for not calling it fiction. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
We talk about his past life and his present one, and about the strange voyage that divided the two. We talk about some of the stories he tells in Proof of Heaven, which has sold nearly two million copies and remains near the top of the New York Times best-seller list nearly a year after its release. We also talk about some of the stories you won't find in the book, stories I've heard from current and former friends and colleagues, and stories I've pulled from court documents and medical-board complaints, stories that in some cases give an entirely new context to the stories in the book, and in other cases simply contradict them.

This book is dedicated to all of my loving family, with boundless gratitude.
When I was a kid, I would often dream of flying.  (Prologue)
My eyes popped open.
The message had three parts, and if I had to translate them into earthly language, I'd say that they ran something like this:
"You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever."
"You have nothing to fear."
"There is nothing you can do wrong."

As he lay in a coma, neurosurgeon Eben Alexander explains that he "journeyed beyond this world and encountered an angelic being who guided him into the deepest realms of super-physical existence [where] he met and spoke with the Divine source of the universe itself"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Beyond Words Publishing

4 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1442359315, 1451695187, 1451695195, 1476753024

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,009,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible