Proof of heaven : a neurosurgeon's journey…

Proof of heaven : a neurosurgeon's journey into the afterlife (edition 2012)

by Eben Alexander

"A SCIENTIST'S CASE FOR THE AFTERLIFE Near-death experiences, or NDEs, are controversial. Thousands of people have had them, but many in the scientific community have argued that they are impossible. Dr. Eben Alexander was one of those people. A highly trained neurosurgeon who had operated on thousands of brains in the course of his career, Alexander knew that what people of faith call the "soul" is really a product of brain chemistry. NDEs, he would have been the first to explain, might feel real to the people having them, but in truth they are simply fantasies produced by brains under extreme stress. Then came the day when Dr. Alexander's own brain was attacked by an extremely rare illness. The part of the brain that controls thought and emotion--and in essence makes us human-- shut down completely. For seven days Alexander lay in a hospital bed in a deep coma. Then, as his doctors weighed the possibility of stopping treatment, Alexander's eyes popped open. He had come back. Alexander's recovery is by all accounts a medical miracle. But the real miracle of his story lies elsewhere. While his body lay in coma, Alexander journeyed beyond this world and encountered an angelic being who guided him into the deepest realms of super-physical existence. There he met, and spoke with, the Divine source of the universe itself. This story sounds like the wild and wonderful imaginings of a skilled fantasy writer. But it is not fantasy. Before Alexander underwent his journey, he could not reconcile his knowledge of neuroscience with any belief in heaven, God, or the soul. That difficulty with belief created an empty space that no professional triumph could erase. Today he is a doctor who believes that true health can be achieved only when we realize that God and the soul are real and that death is not the end of personal existence but only a transition. This story would be remarkable no matter who it happened to. That it happened to Dr. Alexander makes it revolutionary. No scientist or person of faith will be able to ignore it. Reading it will change your life"--"Near-death experiences are controversial. Thousands of people have had them, but many in the scientific community have argued that they are impossible. Dr. Eben Alexander was one of those people. A highly trained neurosurgeon, Alexander knew that what people of faith call the "soul" is really a product of brain chemistry. NDEs, he would have been the first to explain, might feel real, but they are fantasies produced by brains under extreme stress. Then came the day when Dr. Alexander's own brain was attacked by a rare illness. The part of the brain that controls thought and emotion--and in essence makes us human--shut down completely. For seven days Alexander lay in a hospital bed in a deep coma. Then, as his doctors weighed the possibility of stopping treatment, Alexander's eyes popped open. He had come back. Alexander's recovery is a medical miracle. But the real miracle of his story lies elsewhere. While his body lay in coma, Alexander journeyed beyond this world and encountered an angelic being who guided him into the deepest realms of super-physical existence. There he met, and spoke with, the Divine source of the universe itself. This story sounds like the wild imaginings of a skilled fantasy writer. But it is not fantasy. Before Alexander underwent his journey, he could not reconcile his knowledge of neuroscience with any belief in heaven, God, or the soul. That difficulty with belief created an empty space that no professional triumph could erase. Today he is a doctor who believes that true health can be achieved only when we realize that God and the soul are real and that death is not the end of personal existence but only a transition. This story would be remarkable no matter who it happened to. That it happened to Dr. Alexander makes it revolutionary"--… (more)
Member:CPK
Title:Proof of heaven : a neurosurgeon's journey into the afterlife
Authors:Eben Alexander
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, October 2012.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife by III Eben Alexander

On Life After Death by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: This book is by a doctor whose views about life after death have had remarkable effects on the nursing care of dying patients. A very worthwhile read.

English (75)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (79)
First and foremost, Dr. Eban Alexander, was a top-notch neurosurgeon. He heard patients talk of NDE (near death experiences), but listened and filed it away to disbelief. Until, he developed an extremely rare and virulent E.Coli infection in his brain. In a coma, he was unresponsive. While his co-workers tried to keep him alive, each day he slipped more toward death.

When the family was told there was no hope, miraculously, he came alive.
This is his story of experiences while in a deep coma. Witnessing a guardian angel, he felt safe, until he felt and saw what he though an worms eye view of much, danger and blackness. He was also propelled out of this horror to a safe space, of watching children, animals and happiness abounding.

While at times I thought his writing style was too pedantic and scientific, in the end, I found this a fascinating book.

Dr. Eban Alexander became a near-death experience believer after he, himself was taken downward, and then lifted in the light by his winged helper.
  Whisper1 | Jul 26, 2020 |
This is a good book about an NDE (Near Death Experience). What is remarkable about this account are two things. One, it happened to a Neurosurgeon. A neurosurgeon who had heard these same kinds of stories from his own patients, but just ignored them because, he KNEW, as a neurosurgeon they were impossible. After his experience, he felt obligated to correct the scientific knowledge and provide sound arguments against those of his contemporaries, given the peculiarities of his extraordinary experience. The second remarkable thing about this case was the medical facts involved. This neurosurgeon got bacterial meningitis which is very rare and NEVER occurs to people who have NOT just had brain surgery or an accident which punctured their skull. So the fact that he got this brain infection from unknown causes would, in itself, require the re-writing of the medical textbooks. But even more extraordinary, was that after a week in a coma, during which his brain scans showed that his cortex was destroyed by the infection, he woke up and eventually made a full recovery. This kind of recovery is considered a medical miracle. The author is a brilliant articulate storyteller who describes his visits to "heaven" for the week he was in a coma. ( )
  RFBrost | Jul 8, 2020 |
I really have mixed opinions on this book. For starters, I really believe this story and now much more interested in NDEs than before. However, I was a bit sad there was not more to this particular story. I can't imagine just how hard it was to put the experience of Heaven into words, but this book had very little of the actual Heaven experience. I would have loved to read much more on that, than how his family experienced the traumatic event.

I still do recommend this book because (for me) this really adds more evidence (the author is very believable) to life after death, but I feel cheated out of reading the entire experience. It seems he really left much of it out. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Eben Alexander had a remarkable NDE as the result of a bacterial meningitis that shut down his brain function. What makes his account worth reading is that Dr. Alexander is a neurosurgeon who also taught at Harvard Medical School for 15 years as an associate professor of surgery. He miraculously survived his meningitis and evaluated the brain scans and other testing that had been performed while in his comatose state. He concluded that there was no way his brain could have produced the experiences he had had in his NDE state. Something independent of his brain had to have been responsible.

Because his conclusions are counter to traditional, materialistic beliefs about brain function, Dr. Alexander has been a bit of a paria in the medical community. However, there is ample evidence from other sources to conclude that Dr. Alexander's experience and reporting is a worthwhile read.

Jim Fisher ( )
  Consciousness_Cafe | Mar 28, 2020 |
Although this book is certainly food for thought,especially coming from a neurosurgeon who fully understands what his own brain was doing when he was in a coma, I found the earthworm interpretation of the journey to heaven hard to take.

It seems so different from others' experiences of heaven that I've read. I know he even admits that this and other things from his experience as difficult for his peers and others to fathom or understand but it still didn't win me over. ( )
  LL-B | Mar 8, 2020 |
We talk about his past life and his present one, and about the strange voyage that divided the two. We talk about some of the stories he tells in Proof of Heaven, which has sold nearly two million copies and remains near the top of the New York Times best-seller list nearly a year after its release. We also talk about some of the stories you won't find in the book, stories I've heard from current and former friends and colleagues, and stories I've pulled from court documents and medical-board complaints, stories that in some cases give an entirely new context to the stories in the book, and in other cases simply contradict them.

This book is dedicated to all of my loving family, with boundless gratitude.
When I was a kid, I would often dream of flying.  (Prologue)
My eyes popped open.
The message had three parts, and if I had to translate them into earthly language, I'd say that they ran something like this:
"You are loved and cherished, dearly, forever."
"You have nothing to fear."
"There is nothing you can do wrong."

Beyond Words Publishing

4 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1442359315, 1451695187, 1451695195, 1476753024

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,565,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible