Revival Volume 1: You're Among Friends

by Tim Seeley (Story), Mike Norton (Art)

Other authors: Crank! (Letters), Sean Dove (Design), Mark Englert (Colors), Jenny Frison (Chapter art), Francesco Gaston (End page illustrations)2 more, Jeff Lemire (Foreword), Craig Thompson (End page illustrations)

Series: Revival (1-5)

"For one day in rural central Wisconsin, the dead came back to life. Now it's up to Officer Dana Cypress to deal with the media scrutiny, religious zealots, and government quarantine that has come with them. In a town where the living have to learn to deal with those who are supposed to be dead, Officer Cypress must solve a brutal murder, and everyone, alive or undead, is a suspect" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

CW: Death, Blood, Gore, Bodily Fluids, Racism, Kidnapping,

I remember reading #1 years ago and being really excited...

The concept of people in a small town coming back from death, not as zombies, revenants, vampires, etc., but simply as themselves. Or at least most of them are themselves, maybe? is genuinely fascinating, but not new by any means. I really enjoyed the rather cheesy, cancelled too soon, and painfully rushed wrap up Australian show, Glitch, which had a similar setup. From the opposite angle, I really enjoyed The Leftovers, which dealt with those left behind after a possibly Rapture. This is a rich area for exploration and storytelling, so I was really excited to give this series a proper go.

The dynamics set up with the cop family (ACAB) and the town dealing with family members coming back, and some truly horrific changes becoming evident, not to mention the spooky ghoul alien thing prancing around between the action, are all great. Unfortunately, the writing and development of the characters just didn't hold up for me. Characters are almost entirely one dimensional or have a black and white duality, and the classic comicbook edgelord dudebro of it all really dumped cold water on my enjoyment.

There's nothing wrong with having awful occurrences, characters who are and say vile things, and uncomfortable, sensitive situations in art. When these things seem to be handled with little to know care or understanding and come across as cheap and easy easy to seem edgy, cool, and extreme, it shows and it sucks. With comics like The Boys and Preacher, as off putting and far more extreme than Revival they are, there is a greater commentary and story, regardless of if it's something somone want to read or not. The premise is here for Revival, but four issues in and I'm not seeing any substance, and anything that approaches it are tropes and weak pastiches of better media.

I appreciate this is all subjective and I am in the minority judging by reviews. I just think we all deserve better, and know that I need it. There are so many phenomenal comics out there and so many more big names and good ideas with no follow through or care. If you want to make edgelord schlock crack on, but when it's published and advertised with such praise and fanfare, alongside phenomenal works, like Saga (something that manages to be edgy and schloky and so much more), I'm going to expect something more than this.

Ice Cream Man and this have taught me to listen to my gut and get out if I'm not enjoying something or getting bad vibes after a couple of issues. ( )
  RatGrrrl | Dec 20, 2023 |
ok admittedly, zombies are kind of hackneyed at this point, but this book is really well done so I'll allow it. Gory, fun, well-drawn, and with an intriguing mystery and great dialogue. Looking forward to reading more!

ETA: My son rightly pointed out that these are NOT zombies, so I will add that here. They are not zombies, but close enough to zombies that in less skillful hands, this could have been totally lame. These books are amazing though, well-told and well-illustrated. ( )
  veewren | Jul 12, 2023 |
I read this after hearing good things about the series, and then I went back and reread it immediately so I would have a good feel for all the characters going forward. I'm reading the second collection now on my way to getting completely caught up so I can find out just what the heck happened to this snowy little town in Wisconsin.

Great story. Great art. Check it out if you're looking for a fun non-superhero comic. ( )
  bookwrapt | Mar 31, 2023 |
Easily the best thing I've had come out of the Humble Bundle comics so far, making for an eerie, exciting trip through a town where some people are coming back to life, the outside world wants in, the town wants out, and the CDC wants to know how any of this is possible. Definitely looking forward to more. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I really enjoyed the first volume of this series and am excited to see where it goes. Especially, looking forward to the Chew / Revival collaboration in May. ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |

Seeley, TimStoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Norton, MikeArtmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Crank!Letterssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dove, SeanDesignsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Englert, MarkColorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frison, JennyChapter artsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gaston, FrancescoEnd page illustrationssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lemire, JeffForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, CraigEnd page illustrationssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Here it is, Ms. Tao.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,905,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible