The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks

The Blood Mirror

by Brent Weeks

1202100,400 (4.15)2

This is one of those books that you speed through because you're enamored with one character so you keep reading because you want to read more of his chapters, where normally you might take a break. Not that I don't like the other characters, they just seem less interesting when put side by side with Gavin Guile. I've been having a hard time deciding if these books are 4 or 5 stars, however. Perhaps the gritty darkness to the story keeps pulling me back from a five star rating. Something is, but I can't quite pin down yet what it is. This series is complex and full of twists and turns that I never see coming. I did think there were a few twists that I have to wonder at, if they were planned all along or if they evolved. I'm leaning towards the latter, with kind of throws the flow off just a little, but heck, this was supposed to be a trilogy. Now it's turned into a quintet. I can see why however. There's so much involved in a story like this. I'm very invested in seeing Kip develop more as a character and I love the magic system. I'm so looking forward to more. I just hope it doesn't take forever. It seems to be a theme nowadays for long fantasy series to have years and years last between publications. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 15, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Wordpress, Blogspot, Booklikes & Librarything by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.

Title: The Blood Mirror

Series: Lightbringer #4

Author: Brent Weeks

Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

Genre: SFF

Pages: 704

Format: Kindle digital edition

Synopsis:

The Chromeria is under attack by the White King, the former Color Prince. Andross Guile and Kara, the Iron White, unite in the face of satrapies falling away. Kip is married and besides leading attacks on the White King and learning to be a leader, he is dealing with some serious marital issues.

Gavin/Dazin [I've given up by now trying to figure it all out, he's Gavin to me] is captured by Andross and kept in the same prison he kept his brother in. Lots of things about magic, and theology, are revealed.

Teia, now playing a triple role as Blackguard, the Iron White's assassin AND as a double agent in the Broken Eye group, comes ever closer to her breaking point.

And so much other stuff that a synopsis is pointless. Just read these books.

My Thoughts:

Much like the previous books, I had a hard time getting into this one. I didn't feel like I WANTED to read this book. That lasted for until about the 10% mark and then a switch flipped and wham, I was racing along again. This exact same thing has happened in all 3 other books, so something about how Week's writes is the culprit. When I do my re-read of his Night Angel trilogy next year I'll see if happens with that as well.

I was all over the place while reading this. So the good first.

This is epic fantasy with some hardcore action. Battles, invisible assassins, magic prisons, people growing up, people realizing that they're not done growing up, tying this into a Christian world view. If you aren't looking for that though, I don't know if one would see it. Weeks uses a Bible verse or two. He also ties Orholam, and mythical fallen creatures, to God and the devil in our world. I thought it was quite cleverly done and not all shoving preachiness down the readers' throats. Kip and Tisis growing together as a married couple. It was wicked nice to see them CHOOSE to love instead of letting their feelings set the tone. Feelings do follow, but they make that choice and it impressed me. You don't see that much nowadays, with all the teen/YA angst romance crap.

Unfortunately, that leads me into the less than good.

Tisis had some sort of condition that prevented her from having sex. Weeks actually addresses the condition in an afterward, but I didn't want to read about it. I'm a pretty private person about some things and intimate matters definitely falls into that area. So to read about those issues just made me very uncomfortable. It really added to the relationship but I didn't like it.

The other thing was the continued profanity. It has bugged me since Book 1 and it will until the end.

The final problem is that now I have to wait who knows how long until the next book. Thankfully, I've got a boatload of good books to keep me distracted. Weeks tells the kind of stories I like to read and I trust he'll keep putting out good stuff for years to come. ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Dec 13, 2016 |

9 wanted3 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,325,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible