One-straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka

One-straw Revolution (original 1975; edition 1992)

by Masanobu Fukuoka

7801921,158 (4.2)3
"Call it Zen and the Art of Farming or a Little Green Book, Masanobu Fukuoka's manifesto about farming, eating, and the limits of human knowledge presents a radical challenge to the global systems we rely on for our food. At the same time, it is a spiritual memoir of a man whose innovative system of cultivating the earth reflects a deep faith in the wholeness and balance of the natural world. As Wendell Berry writes in his preface, the book 'is valuable to us because it is at once practical and philosophical. It is an inspiring, necessary book about agriculture because it is not just about agriculture'. Trained as a scientist, Fukuoka rejected both modern agribusiness and centuries of agricultural practice, deciding instead that the best forms of cultivation mirror nature's own laws. Over the next three decades he perfected his so-called do-nothing technique: commonsense, sustainable practices that all but eliminate the use of pesticides, fertilizer, tillage, and perhaps most significantly, wasteful effort." -- Book cover.… (more)
Member:stuffedandstarved
Title:One-straw Revolution
Authors:Masanobu Fukuoka
Info:Other India Press (1992), Paperback, 182 pages

The One-Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka (Author) (1975)

English (18)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
This book is a great argument for authentically natural farming - farming that follows most closely the behavior of nature. Fukuoka is known as the Father of Permaculture, and his methods he used in Japan were unheard of, and extremely underrated. The actual methods explained in the book aren't as applicable (unless you live in Japan) as the concepts discussed in the book and its overall theme. A short, good read that I'll likely reference while planning my own garden! ( )
  kristi_test_03 | Apr 7, 2021 |
Calling it cultish is generous. It's mostly just wrong or meaningless at best. The only way to defend this is by claiming it's allegory, like the Bible, and cannot be read literally. ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |
This is a book that will make you want to be a natural farmer. If only we could all have land to live on. ( )
  SonoranDreamer | May 22, 2019 |
Note: This book was read as part of an upcoming, Books on Tap, summer event sponsored by our county library system and a local cidery, in which folks compete in answering questions about ten different books and ten different movies available through the library. The book starts by concentrating on how the author developed a "close-to-nature" method of agriculture. It is this part of the book, roughly a third, that has attracted so many readers and such high regard for the work. The methods could be described by some as back-to-basics or old fashioned techniques, but crude would be closer to it. It most certainly is not the modern agriculture that has attracted huge corporations. For instance, there is no ground cultivation in the authors method. Before assuming this may be insanity, the reader must accept that his methods have been proven to produce crop production equal to modern methods and with no pollution. The problem is this agricultural debate is only a part of the book, and this is a review of the book and not the agricultural techniques. The rest of the book, which the author would claim is all connected to the part that is so highly regarded, goes far afield from such things as planting techniques. Should most people leave the cities and start small farms? If you think about why you are eating something, does that reduce its nutritional value? Do crops that grow well in any given season do so specifically because that is what humans need to be eating at that point on time? If "true" natural foods taste good and everything else tastes bad, why is cooking or pickling vegetables not unnatural, while adding spices is because you thought about the flavor you wanted? Is it really "do-nothing" agriculture if you have to do it all day long everyday? I have watched four different videos about the author and this book to see what others have thought, and, while they have all praised the author and the book, none have mentioned anything about these or other issues covered in the book. I give full credit to the wisdom of the "natural farming" espoused in the book and consider much of the rest dangerously close to claptrap. ( )
1 vote larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
While this book is about one man's gardening adventure in Japan, the concepts behind his garden philosophy seem pretty applicable to gardens everywhere. This book certainly serves to justify my own garden philosophy to folks who think I am nuts for not constantly using fertilizers, herbicides, insecticides and a mower to tame and manage my yard. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |

Fukuoka, MasanobuAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Korn, LarryEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lappé, Frances MooreIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

NYRB Classics

2 editions of this book were published by NYRB Classics.

Editions: 1590173139, 1590173929

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,902,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible