Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468…

Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps (edition 2013)

by Kelly Williams Brown (Author)

From breaking up with frenemies to fixing your toilet, this way fun comprehensive handbook is the answer for aspiring grown-ups of all ages.
Member:acl_bookmobile
Title:Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
Authors:Kelly Williams Brown (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2013), 330 pages
Collections:SRG Prizes Adult and Teen, Your library

Work Information

Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown

I am certainly not the demographic for this book, which I feel like makes the assumption that 30-somethings have it all together (we don't). But it's handy to have a recommendation if someone's not sure how they are starting out in life. It does seem to be heavily geared toward a middle-class, college-educated audience, which some may find off-putting, so keep that in mind. ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Dec 2, 2021 |
Part of me felt grateful for tips like "don't ever RSVP maybe" and the other part of me was concerned that part of adulting didn't include self-censoring.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Just read-skimmed this book. It was kind of funny, kind of useful. I most appreciated the social tips; the more practical, tangible advice either wasn't as relevant or was pretty self-explanatory and/or already known by moi.

SPOILER ALERT: my most most favorite tips from the book.

• Curb your instinct to talk about other peoples’ bodies. Because they might not be pregnant. And that might not be a sunburn--they might just be perpetually red.
• Don’t comment on what people are; comment on what people do. I like being told I’m good in bed. Don’t tell me I have a small penis.
• Quit talking about your own body. Wow, is this relevant to me! 81% of the things I say have to do with the food that is inside me or the food that is no longer inside me.
• Other people’s sex lives are none of your business. So stop it, you peeping Tom.
• Be interesting. Nuff said.
• Send thank-you notes. Pros: Everything. Cons: Nothing. Write them after dinner parties, after job interviews, after getting a gift.
o Breakdown of best thank-you notes:
 Start with word “you”, as in, “You are f9g@:ng amazing.”
 Specific examples of amazingness, aka evidence.
 How I benefited from person’s above actions.
 Finally, wrap it up with “Thank you for this…”
• Wrap things up when enthusiasm level reaches 50%, at which point you should say something like, “I’ve really enjoyed our conversation,” motherfucker.
• ASK PEOPLE OUT FOR COFFEE
• Go to places that have the kind of people you want to befriend. Then ask them on a friend-date if they’re even vaguely promising. Example: You and a friend are chatting up someone for five minutes in line—invite them over to drinks!
• If you like someone, announce to the world, “We’re going to be friends!” or “You’re awesome! I want to be friends! Let’s hang out!”
• Be a good long-distance friend. Post on their wall for their birthday, and some more.
• Initiate the fun things.
• Pay attention to how your friends show affection, then replicate it. If someone shows lots of affection for you on birthday, then do the same.
• Tell the people you love specifically why you love them. In fact, I should make a list of that shit right now.
• Don’t gossip about a friend with someone who doesn’t love him as much as you do. So if one of your friends is like, “(Your friend who I like less than you do) did (this negative thing) to me and she’s such a (insert negative thing,” just be like, “I don’t feel right talking about her like that.”
• How to stop being a life coach to your friend: “You know, I know this stuff with (x problem) is really hard for you, and I want to be there in any way I can, but I feel like a lot of this is deeper than I can help you.”
• Ask someone out.
• Call your parents and grandmothers. As much as fathomably possible. Skype.

Gadi_Cohen | Sep 22, 2021 |
Non-fiction and rather adorable. The kind of book that makes you smile, makes you make lists, make plans, makes you frown, makes you want to throw across the room and have temper tantrums about I Don't Have To Grow Up, You Can't Make Me, and it will still be quietly, patiently, wisely, waiting for you when you come back an hour or three days later, needing to know more and with your rebellious hold of your wildness once again under your thumb.

This is very likely the book I'm going to get several copies of and give out at Christmas this year. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
nonfiction - I skimmed through this--there is some good advice here, and probably something that can help almost anyone. What to look for when apartment hunting, how to buy a used car, basic info about cooking, ]writing better thank you notes... ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
To Barbara, Joel, and Barbara
The vast majority of this book is full of practical, interacting-with-the-world sorts of steps—wiping your counters or breaking up with your surly boyfriend or whatever.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,596,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible