HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Curtsies & Conspiracies

by Gail Carriger

Series: Finishing School (2), Parasol Universe (2)

In her alternate England of 1851, fifteen-year-old Sophronia tries to uncover who is behind a plot to control a prototype that has the potential to alter human and supernatural travel, and to learn what role Mademoiselle Geraldine's academy for young spies plays in the affair.
Recently added byArina6000

4.5 stars-rounding up because Lord Akeldama! Delightful book. Carriger's witty whimsical style was in fine form in this second entry to her Finishing School series. I liked this one better than the first and looking forward to more adventures with Sophronia and friends! ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
This book was just as delightful as I expected it to be. There's a lightness to the way Gail Carriger writes, and Moira Quirk reads the books so well one cannot help but smile at Sophronia and her friends' assorted shenanigans. I could talk about how the world is under-described, and there's a lot of snark and curiosity in the dialogue, but at the end of the day, these books are fun.

And, since the Finishing School series has never claimed to take itself seriously, fun is the key.

There are a lot of illogical twists and turns in the plot, but the panache and confidence with which Sophronia carries out her plans are admirable. She's precisely the person I would have wanted to be friends with at her age. There's never a dull moment in these books. There was a bit of murder, attempted murder, kidnapping, and sabotage, but all in the bold steampunk style that Gail Carriger does so well. I enjoyed this book immensely and will be reading the next one. ( )
  Morteana | Dec 15, 2022 |
Even better than the first one, which is saying something. ( )
  tanaise | Jul 17, 2022 |
Just as great as Etiquette and Espionage, which blows me away! I think I love this series even more than the Parasol Protectorate, and I didn't think such a thing was possible. Sophronia is a heroine for the ages -- full of intelligence, pluck, and sheer unadulterated courage without being full of herself. In every way a worthy companion to Terry Pratchett's books -- funny, whip-smart, and full of adventure that keeps me begging for more. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
None of the other girls likes Sephronia any more because she did so much better on the first term test. But she needs their help to investigate why the school is being moved to London and why boys are being allowed on board.

Vampires, werewolves, and picklemen, oh my. Lots of growth in this one for Sophronia as she learns the skills she is being taught have real-life consequences for other people. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 12, 2022 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover photographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Trev
'Miss Temminnick. Miss Plumleigh-Teignmott. With me, please, ladies.'

Does one need four fully grown foxgloves for decorating a dinner table for six guests? Or is it six foxgloves to kill four fully grown guests?

Sophronia's first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality has certainly been rousing! For one thing, finishing school is training her to be a spy (won't Mumsy be surprised?). Furthermore, Sophronia got mixed up in an intrigue over a stolen device and had a cheese pie thrown at her in a most horrid display of poor manners.

Now, as she sneaks around the dirigible school, eavesdropping on the teachers' quarters and making clandestine climbs to the ship's boiler room, she learns that there may be more to a field trip to London than is apparent at first. A conspiracy is afoot--one with dire implications for both supernaturals and humans. Sophronia must rely on her training to discover who is behind the dangerous plot-and survive the London Season with a full dance card.

In this bestselling sequel to New York Times bestselling Etiquette & Espionage, class is back in session with more petticoats and poison, tea trays and treason. Gail's distinctive voice, signature humor, and lush steampunk setting are sure to be the height of fashion this season.

[retrieved 3/17/2014 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,746,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible