The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale

The Princess in Black (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Shannon Hale (Author), LeUyen Pham (Illustrator)

6524323,340 (4)9
"Who says princesses don't wear black? When trouble raises its blue monster head, Princess Magnolia ditches her flouncy dresses and becomes the Princess in Black!" --
Member:JennyArch
Title:The Princess in Black
Authors:Shannon Hale (Author)
Other authors:LeUyen Pham (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick (2015), 96 pages
Rating:***
Tags:children's

The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale (2014)

I’ve read two Princess in Black books now, and I absolutely love this series. These books are so much fun! It’s adventurous and has lots of action without being too scary, and I love the humor within it. The illustrations are bright and wonderful to look at, and the layout of the pages is perfect. There are just the right amount of words to keep it quick-paced and still be engaging but accessible for beginning readers. I will definitely be adding this series to my child’s library!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Dec 23, 2019 |
Preschooler loves this one! ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Sweet Princess Magnolia has a secret identity. Whenever monsters threaten the kingdom, the Princess in Black appears to save the day! This exciting chapter book is the first in a series.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 25, 2019 |
I’d heard about this book for years. In particular, the author Shannon Hale is very active on social media, and I had heard her stories of boys being excluded when she did class visits or being embarrassed that they wanted to read a “princess” book, and the importance of books for everyone – not boy books vs girl books.

I finally got around to reading it, and it truly is a delightful story. Princess Magnolia has a secret identity – where she throws off her pink dress and glass slippers and becomes the daring Princess in Black – saving the kingdom from monster attack.

This is a fun story written for kids starting to read “chapter books” on their own, and there are lots of pictures to help move the story along. It also would make a great read aloud. There are several sequels that I plan to track down as well.

And I think I will go as the Princess in Black for Halloween!! ( )
  rspsreadinglist | Feb 22, 2019 |
This book offers a new version of the typical Cinderella fairytale. Instead of the stereotypical fluffy, pink princess, this princess changes into black and fights crime. This new version allows children to think of "princesses" in different views. Girls can see themselves as invincible and able to accomplish things on their own without needing a Prince Charming. This book is quite up to date with the world around us. The author allows the book to easily flow through the plot. The characters, setting, and language is simple. It is interesting and filled with colorful, detailed illustrations. It is a perfect book to introduce children to chapter books. ( )
  ElizabethCounts | Jul 30, 2018 |

Hale, Shannonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hale, Deanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pham, LeUyenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For our own Princess Magnolia
S. H. and D. H.
To Luna, Emilie, Julia, Anelique, and Deniz---my little group of supercool princesses
L. P.
Princess Magnolia was havin hot chocolate and scones with Duchess Wigtower.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shannon Hale's book The Princess in Black was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,599,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible