Walking on Water When You Feel Like…

Walking on Water When You Feel Like You're Drowning: Finding Hope in…

by Tommy Nelson

Today more people than ever are suffering from emotional distress. Whether they are dealing with depression, anxiety, obsessiveness, fear, worry, or stress, their lives are limited and compromised by the ill-effects. People who suffer from emotional distress often feel isolated and unloved, either by God or by others, and often believe that there is no hope and no way out. There is good news, however! A truly biblical approach to healing emotional distress focuses on a holistic cure that integrates the mind, body, and spirit. Even when we feel truly alone, God is holding us in His hand. Even when we feel truly hopeless, God offers comfort and purpose. And even when we feel like we will never escape the pit of emotional distress, God sets our feet on firm ground and promises to never let us go. No matter what we have been through or what we are going through now, God can bring critically needed healing and transformation into our lives when we adjust what the authors refer to as "stinkin' thinkin'."… (more)

Feeling frustrated or overworked? Depressed or anxious about the future? Well-known author and pastor, [a:Tommy Nelson|7573|Tommy Nelson|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-251a730d696018971ef4a443cdeaae05.jpg], and [a:Steve Leavitt|6044609|Steve Leavitt|http://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-251a730d696018971ef4a443cdeaae05.jpg] have been there too. Readers who have a life that has fallen into despair will be able to relate to the stories they tell. This book is written in a way that puts the reader at ease and makes him or her feel not as much alone. The message of Psalms 14:18 is repeated throughout the text: “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted.”

This book takes a reader through the process of falling into depression and anxiety, answers questions that you might ask, and shows how to get help from God to recover. It is a very easy read, but very powerful. I would recommend this book to people who want to understand why they or someone in their lives are struggling with depression or anxiety. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
Walking on Water when you feel like you’re drowning—Finding hope in life’s darkest moments, is a book about how to find help with your anxiety, panic attacks, obsessiveness and depression.

Both of these authors have been through it—they know what it’s like to be paralyzed by anxiety because they’ve lived it. This shows through in the way they make the reader feel understood.

I think that is the best thing this book has to offer—understanding. If you or someone you love is suffering from anxiety, panic attacks, obsessiveness or depression, contained within this book will be understanding. Finally, you will be able to understand what is happening or what has happened to you or your loved one. Finally, you will feel like someone really understands you.

I loved the section on biblical affirmations as I’m a firm believer in those. The whole section on believing truths vs. lies was very good. What was missing though, was a call to action or clear instructions on how to implement these. I would encourage readers to pick out the lies that “jump” out at you, that seem true to you, concentrate on those and memorize the opposite truth from scripture and to actively proclaim these out loud as often as necessary.

I liked the way the authors emphasized that the issues talked about are compound and complicated and cannot be solved in only one way. They included a lot of different angles from believing truth, to taking healthy care of your body, to getting others to help you and to consider taking medication (without the guilt!).

Even with all the various things they mentioned in their book, I found a few things missing however. They were clear in the need for Bible intake but there was no mention of obtaining help from the Holy Spirit. There was no mention of the need for confession. Because, yes, if there is any root of unbelief involved or lack of trust in God, then it needs to be confessed. And, lastly, there was no mention of the possibility of demonic involvement.

Even though I found those things lacking, the strength of the understanding contained within this book may be just what some readers need. If what you most need is understanding about what is happening to you or your loved one, then this is the book for you.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Tyndale House Publishers as part of their Tyndale Blog Network program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 225: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  cherylcope | Dec 17, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,691,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible