A Voice in the Night by Andrea Camilleri

A Voice in the Night (2012)

by Andrea Camilleri

English (7)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (12)
I thought that this 20th entry in the series was a bit better than the previous 2. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 1, 2018 |
Sicily, law-enforcement, mafia, murder-investigation, political-intrigue, suspense, twisty, audiobook ---------
In case you didn't know, the great truth about the Montalbano mysteries is that if it seems obvious, it isn't the truth. Once again there are two mysteries that need solving but each is very convoluted and takes a lot of astitution and creative diligence to get to the truth. Enjoy this mess even as it drives you nuts!
I don't speak Italian, so I can only admire Sartarelli for his work of translation.
Grover Gardner continues to be excellent as narrator. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jan 16, 2018 |
Le stelle sono troppo poche... ne aggiungo altre * * * * *

Prima o poi terminerò gli aggettivi, le locuzioni, le perifrasi per passare ai simboli di punteggiatura. Le parole hanno un limite per esprimere le emozioni, mentre non ne ha, di limiti, Camilleri. I pensieri interiori di Montalbano, la sua personale visione del mondo, della natura umana e del creato, il suo modo di relazionarsi con gli abitanti del suo spaccato siciliano sono pura poesia. Non riesco a trovare un altro autore che mi rasserena, consola (ma di una consolazione umana e drammatica, di certo non nell'accezione "banale" che potrebbe avere il termine), pacifica, nutre, diverte, immalinconisce in un modo tale che fa di ogni libro un rifugio perfetto. E' sempre il momento giusto per lasciarsi condurre per i meandri oscuri dell'animo umano, riscaldati dal sole generoso di quelle latitudini, andando a dormire con la salsedine sulla pelle dopo una "passiata" in lungo sul molo, digerendo fantasmagoriche sinfonie alimentari a base di un pescato che sembra esistere soltanto in quei mari. A Camilleri il mio personalissimo "grazie di esistere".
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
Funny, witty, not too suspenseful yet smart. Overall not a very well rounded organization as there were questions left unanswered... But perhaps starting with the 20th book of the series was, in itself, a problem, on my part. ( )
  LilySheng | Apr 21, 2017 |
I have just finished A Voice In The Night, and it has reminded me why I like these books and why I should keep them all. Notwithstanding the deaths, violence, and corruption necessary to the plots there is a gentleness and optimism. What is principally enjoyable about these books is Montalbano himself. He is a kind of everyman dealing with an exaggerated form of everyday life. Alongside the shrewdness which keeps him going as a police inspector, which in his Sicilian context means dealing not only with the individual crimes but also the context in which they happen - who is related to whom, who is in whose pocket, are his wonderfully human traits. He acts on impulse, but satisfying the urge of the moment usually leads to difficulties, and like a crafty child he often needs to lie his way out of the consequences. As well as thinking quickly to confuse the opposition, often to humorous effect, there is also the fun as he argues with Camilleri and complains that the actor in the tv series doesn't look anything like him. (I'm always taken aback by references in the books to Montalbano's moustache. While I don't really have a mental image of the character, clearly it doesn't include the moustache.)

There is a pattern to the novels. I'm not going to check back on the previous volumes, but usually they start off with Montalbano dreaming. In this volume he wakes up refreshed, but wondering whether he had dreamt. He has read that we always dream but can't always remember. It had been that on waking his dreams would immediately come back to him with the vividness of movies, then it became more of an effort to remember them, and now he didn't remember them at all. Could it be due to age? Livia, his ever distant girlfriend rings to wish him happy birthday. He has forgotten that today is his fifty-eighth birthday, and is not happy at being reminded about it. Unfortunately everyone else has also remembered his birthday, and whether at the police station or at the restaurant there is no escape.

Montalbano is a cautious driver, and this morning, as he is driving to work musing blackly on his age, he is flashed and shouted at by the driver of the BMW behind, a man in his thirties who, overtaking Montalbano shouts "Get yourself to a nursing home, granddad" and, brandishing a large monkey wrench, adds "I'm going to beat your brains out with this, you walking corpse!" The BMW then speeds away, overtaking the entire queue of traffic ahead. Montalbano silently wishes a particularly unpleasant accident upon the driver, and falls to wondering when the general decline in behaviour set in. It is when Montalbano later sees the BMW pulled in for fuel that his impulsiveness comes into play. Though not in need of refuelling, he nonetheless pulls in to the petrol station and parks in such a way as to block in the BMW. He then pretends to be unable to restart his car. The furious driver of the BMW shouts "I told you I was going to get you" and smashes the window of Montalbano's car, only to be confronted by Montalbano's gun, and is subsequently taken down to the police station in handcuffs. While many of us may fantasise about crafty ways to have appalling drivers taken off the streets Montalbano's clever wheeze backfires when it turns out that the angry driver is the son of the president of the province, untouchable, and represented by a lawyer sufficiently drenched in aftershave to make Montalbano sweat with nausea who points out that Montalbano deliberately provoked his client. As is generally the case, seemingly unconnected incidents have links to one another, and it is up to Montalbano and his team to think through the possible scenarios and establish, whether by legal means or otherwise, the real reasons for the escalating body count. Through it all he has his usual phone spats with Livia, eats inordinate amounts of food, plays the politics and peculiarities of the officials he needs, becomes increasingly irritated by the habits of his staff, and has a hard time with an octopus.

Livia, reminding Montalbano that it is his fifty-eighth birthday, points out that he was born in 1950. Although this English translation was published in 2016 I see that the Italian edition was first published in 2012. For Montalbano to be fifty-eight the book should have been published in 2008. I mention this because there is a rather odd author's note at the end of the book in which Camilleri explains that the book was written "a number of years ago" and "Any attentive reader who notices the more or less accentuated crises of ageing, or the more or less decontexualized quarrels with Livia and so on" should blame it on "the secret alchemy of publisher's schedules". I've not checked back to see how this book relates to the previous volume and its publication dates. I had read some time ago that Camilleri had passed deposited the final Montalbano with his publisher, to be kept under strict wraps until time for its publication, and as Montalbano seems to age through the series I have begun to count down with concern the years to his retirement. In A Voice In The Night Montalbano is starting to have some problems with concentration and memory which have me worried that he may be destined to suffer the same fate as Henning Mankell's Wallander. I trust we will have at least two more years of the Inspector before he retires, and I hope they will be good, healthy, years. What will happen when he does? How will matters with Livia be resolved?

Whatever may happen in the future, this was a perfect book to cheer an otherwise dull day.
  Oandthegang | Feb 16, 2017 |
«Era stata ’na voci di notti che avrebbe potuto essiri benissimo quella della stissa sò coscienza. Era ’na giustifacazioni tanticchia tirata, tanticchia ipocrita, certo. No, avrebbi fatto quello che aviva addeciso. E se aviva funzionato ’na prima volta, avrebbi funzionato macari la secunna».

"Two deaths lead Inspector Montalbano into investigations of corruption and power in the twentieth installment of the New York Times bestselling series. Montalbano investigates a robbery at a supermarket, a standard case that takes a spin when manager Guido Borsellino is later found hanging in his office. Was it a suicide? The inspector and the coroner have their doubts, and further investigation leads to the director of a powerful local company. Meanwhile, a girl is found brutally murdered in Giovanni Strangio's apartment--Giovanni has a flawless alibi, and it's no coincidence that Michele Strangio, president of the province, is his father. Weaving together these two crimes, Montalbano realizes that he's in a difficult spot where political power is enmeshed with the mafia underworld."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,991,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible