Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with…

Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with dyslexia (edition 2012)

by Vanita Oelschlager (Author), Joe Rossi (Illustrator)

Member:HicksESLibrary
Title:Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with dyslexia
Authors:Vanita Oelschlager (Author)
Other authors:Joe Rossi (Illustrator)
Info:Vanita Books (2012), Edition: Original, 128 pages
Tags:On Order

Knees: The mixed up world of a boy with dyslexia by Vanita Oelschlager

Knees is the story of a young boy with Dyslexia. He explains a little bit about what it is and how it affects him. The idea of the book is to get children with Dyslexia to persevere and find out what they are good at. His parents and teachers encourage him to do his best. They help him find his strengths and support him in his endeavours. This is a great book for children and families that struggle with dyslexia as well as to read to a group of students with friends and classmates with the same problem. I love that the profits form this book will be going to a school that helps students with Dyslexia. The illustrations are cute and the book is even published with cream coloured pages to make it easier for people with dyslexia to read it.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Knees:The Mixed-Up World of a Boy With Dyslexia
by Vanita Oelschlager
I requested this book from NetGalley and the review is voluntary.
This is a great book for kids to learn about dyslexia in a fun way. It is about a boy with dyslexia and how he learns to deal with it in his own way. It is a rhyming book but not childish. It also gives a list of famous people that had or has dyslexia. The adorable pictures are clever and appealing and follow the story. The pictures are sure to make many smiles along the way. A fun book yet addresses an issue that is a tough one. Great job! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Aug 22, 2017 |
A cute book, with comic-like illustrations that is a good introduction to dyslexia for small children. Honestly, I wish a book like this had been around when I was younger. I've learned to mostly cope with my dyslexia when reading and writing, but it still trips me up when speaking, and stress always makes it worse. Having the kind of encouragement promoted by this book would have gone a long way. This book teaches kids they can do anything they set their minds to, as long as they are willing to put in the work and ask for help when they need it.

Received for review ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Nov 17, 2016 |
A cute illustrated uplifting book that you can read to or with your children. It teaches that you can achieve things even if you struggle with dyslexia, even tells about the famous people who had it. It can also help teach kids without this problem to better understand their friends who have it.

I was given this book on netgalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
Knees explores dyslexia, it's symptoms, and the effect it has on the people who are so afflicted. It is told in the form of what appears like a graphic novel, a format that is much loved by my 10 year old son.

But, the problem we had with Knees is this. Per my 10 year old, the story itself was "choppy" and if it was hard for him with not having dyslexia, he felt that it would be much more difficult for a child who did have dyslexia to be able to read and follow along.

Now, the illustrations were good. The storyline itself in concept was stellar and I like the idea of explaining things and telling kids not to give up. I think there were a few flaws in the execution that could be improved upon in future stories, however. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

Knees shows the ups and downs of life with dyslexia. We have done this book in the style and size of a chapter book so that younger children and older children at low reading levels can read what seems to be an older child's book.
We cover dyslexia’s symptoms and the reasons school can be hard for dyslexics. We talk about some famous people who had or have dyslexia.
The book is endorsed by the head master of a school where many of the children have dyslexia. He has dyslexia himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:27 -0400)

A fourth grade boy struggles with his learning disability, dyslexia, but he earns the respect of his peers when he discovers he is good at basketball and makes the school team.

Vanita Oelschlager is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,631,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible