Islam for Dummies by Malcolm Clark

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
Good basic desription, but without any emotion behind it, as the writer is not a Muslim. Tried to be very up-to-date at the time of writing, which makes it outdated 10 years on. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Mar 18, 2013 |
Over the years, I've wondered about the fervor with which so many Muslims adhere to their religion. Living in metro Detroit and having worked in both academic and public libraries, I've been acquainted with many Muslims and appreciate the fact that they're ordinary people. I know many devout Christians, but media reports strongly suggest that the average Muslim is far more devoted to his/her religion than the average Christian is. Why is that?
When I mentioned this in passing to a (non-Muslim) young woman, she recommended this book. She hadn't finished it, but she had gained some insight into it to two close cousins (sisters) who had married and converted to Sufi Islam.
This book is filled with information. Being in no position to evaluate the validity of that information, I'm giving the author the benefit of the doubt in assuming he's presenting a balanced and accurate overview of the origin, history, fundamental beliefs, rites, and flavors of Islam.
Thank you, Malcolm Clark. You've given me a greater appreciation of one of the world's great religions. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Oct 26, 2012 |
It is what is says. A crash course in the tenets of islam, its practices etc. It helped me understand the good and the bad in this faith. I would not want to be a muslin woman. ( )
  kipp15 | Feb 16, 2008 |

Many non-Muslims have no idea that Muslims worship the same God as Christians and Jews, and that Islam preaches compassion, charity, humility, and the brotherhood of man. And the similarities don’t end there. According to Islamic teaching, Muhammad founded Islam in 610 CE after the angel Gabriel appeared to him at Mecca and told him that God had entered him among the ranks of such great biblical prophets as Abraham, Moses, and Christ.

Whether you live or work alongside Muslims and want to relate to them better, or you simply want to gain a better understanding of the world’s second largest religion, Islam For Dummies can help you make sense of this religion and its appeal.  From the Qur’an to Ramadan, this friendly guide introduces you to the origins, practices and beliefs of Islam, including:Muhammad, the man and the legendThe Five Pillars of WisdomThe Five Essentials beliefs of IslamThe different branches of Islam and Islamic sectsThe Qur’an and Islamic lawIslam throughout history and its impact around the world

Professor Malcolm Clark explores the roots of Islam, how it has developed over the centuries, and it’s long and complex relationship with Christianity. He helps puts Islam in perspective as a major cultural and geopolitical force. And he provided helpful insights into, among other things:Muhammad, the Qur’an and the ethical teachings of IslamMuslim worship, customs, and rituals surrounding birth, marriage, and deathShi’ites, Sunnis, Sufis, Druze, and other important Muslim groupsIslam in relation to Judaism and Christianity

In these troubled times, it is important that we try to understand the belief systems of others, for through understanding comes peace. Islam For Dummies helps you build bridges of understanding between you and your neighbors in the global village.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:38 -0400)

An introduction to the religion of Islam that covers its basic tenets, the life of Muhammad, the Koran, Muslim daily life, major and lesser-known Muslim sects, the ties between the Abrahamic religions, and modern relations between Muslims, Jews, and Christians.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,502,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible