Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall

Same Kind of Different As Me (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Ron Hall (Author), Lynn Vincent (Collaborator)

Member:fbmount
Title:Same Kind of Different As Me
Authors:Ron Hall (Author)
Other authors:Lynn Vincent (Collaborator)
Info:Thomas Nelson Inc (2008), Edition: Reprint, 245 pages
Collections:2019, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:Feb 2019, Adult, Fiction

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall (2006)

Recently added byPamDeVoe, mglaser, private library, BAICA, julieleighann, fbmount, TEPResources, Ashley_Hoss_820

A quick inspiring read about two men with nothing in common, finding, they do in fact have things in common. Denver is an illiterate, black, homeless man who grew up as a modern day slave working for the man in Louisiana. Ron is a famed international art dealer with more money then he knows what to do with. When Ron's wife feels called by God to start helping others, Ron goes along for the ride. He begrudgingly starts handing out meals at a local mission. While there he encounters Denver, but Denver wants nothing to do with him. The streets have made him hard and he doesn't have time for rich people trying to make themselves feel better by helping the homeless. Slowly though, Ron's wife pushes the two of them together and they realize that they have more in common then they ever thought possible and start to genuinely appreciate each other's perspectives on life. A little hokey, but I'm probably just a jaded cynic. ( )
  ecataldi | Nov 13, 2018 |
Review: Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall. 02/25/2018

This is a heartwarming non-fiction book about how three people’s lives interacting with realization of who they are and what they are capable to accept with a positive response. One of messages the book affiliates is how faith can influence other people to do whatever good they can do for others. The book is about two men, Ron and Denver sharing their flaws and strength, leaving nothing out. Also, Ron’s wife Deborah is introduced as a divine helper to the homeless. Neither man sanitizes his story; they’re
two imperfect human beings touched by God.

Denver Moore was born in Louisiana and most of his first twenty years he lived basically a slave and his parents were Black sharecroppers. It was the 1930’s and Denver never got to go to school but when he was old enough he hopped a train and ended up in FT. Worth, Texas where he spent the next number of years homeless. Ron Hall was a White man in the neighborhood of Ft. Worth who didn’t grow up with much either but he had a roof over his head, clothes on his back, and went to collage. Ron married a wonderful woman who helped the homeless and he became an art dealer and after some time he was wealthy but never stopped helping people along side his wife. It was through homelessness where he befriended Denver.

Within this book they touch on some profound issues, racism, social problems, exploitation, poverty, technological unemployment, homelessness, and they state how they struggled with life’s tragedies. There was also an implicit message about Christian social responsibility. It was a small book but it had words that were thought provoking.
  Juan-banjo | Mar 15, 2018 |
I didn't like this book at first because I thought it was going to be a Christian's self-indulgent account about how he helped homeless people, but this one still reeled me in. There are bits of self-importance in Ron's story, but Denver's story was fascinating. What I enjoyed most was the cosmic connection between Debbie Hall and Denver. That's what made the story worth finishing, although, I admit to speed-reading through about 2/3 of it. I don't even remember why I had put this ebook on hold. I must have done it a long time ago. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
I knew I wanted to read this book when I saw the two authors interviewed. I had to wait a month on my libraries waiting list, the book was that popular. Believe me it was a very long month. When their movie came out, I wanted to go see it, but my husband wasn't well, he's fighting Hodgkin Lymphoma. I thought it was one of the best books I have read this year. The writing was good, it kept my interest and I though well done. It was a fast read, which was good because I couldn't put it down. There are so many stories and life lessons in this book, besides the main one. We have so much to learn, from the White House on Down. I think this story should be required reading in all of our high schools. Do they even do that any more? ( )
  Sandralb | Jan 4, 2018 |
While in the theater to see Steve McQueen an American Icon, I watched the trailer for Same Kind of Different As Me. I didn’t realize it was a book until I saw it available for review. What caught my eye was a phrase on the cover: modern-day slave. My curiosity was what truly led me to read the book. What exactly is a modern-day slave?

This book switches between Ron’s perspective and Denver’s perspective. It may be a bit jarring at first, but it’s necessary. I mean, if Ron were the only one writing the story, would anyone really believe it or would they think it was merely a White man’s embellishments to look good on paper. And if it were just Denver’s side, the reader wouldn’t truly understand how Deborah’s persistence led the couple to the homeless shelter in the first place. This version of the book (the special movie edition) includes pictures of Denver, Ron, Deborah, as well as the cast and crew of the movie.

"The Word says God don’t give us credit for lovin the folks we want to love anyway. No, He gives us credit for loving the unlovable."

What was my favorite part? Honestly, I enjoyed reading all of it. Denver’s side painted a picture of life in the South. Some good some bad. As a kid, I grew up learning about heroes like Martin Luther King, Jr. Sadly, those textbooks didn’t show what was going on in other, more rural areas at the same time. It was eye-opening. And to see the world through Denver’s eyes? I found myself chuckling at his comments, especially when he first met the Halls. Denver’s story was fascinating and for the first part of the book, that’s what kept me reading. Ron’s life was painted (heh) as a banker moving over to an art dealer. Once the Halls met Denver, the reading just got even more interesting and, at times, funny. There’s a lot that each individual in the book had to overcome: prejudices and past hurt on both sides. How amazing it is: the simple act of loving as Christ loved can heal all wounds and overcome all obstacles.

"When you is precious to God, you become important to Satan."

The one thing I found tough to read through was their experience with cancer. It hit close to home because colon cancer was how I lost my friend: diagnosed at age 30 and passed away at age 35. Still, even during those moments, there was great insight, a lot of the times from Denver’s perspective. His idea that since everyone would be praying during the day, he’d stay up and pray during the night? That’s the sign of a prayer warrior. Sacrificing all comfort to pray fervently.

Can you tell I loved this book? There’s a lot I could put into this review, but I don’t want to spoil it. Trust me, though, when I say it was a really good read. I may watch the movie to see how it compares, but we all know movies rarely do a book justice. I received a complimentary copy in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  santaflash | Jan 2, 2018 |

Ron Hallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moore, Denvermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, LynnAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Well- a poor Lazarus poor as I
When he died he had a home on high....
The rich man died and lived so well
When he died he had a home in hell...
You better get a home in that Rock, don't you see?

--Negro Spiritual
Until Miss Debbie, I'd never spoke to no white woman before.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 084991910X, Paperback)

A dangerous, homeless drifter who grew up picking cotton in virtual slavery. An upscale art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani and Chanel. A gutsy woman with a stubborn dream. A story so incredible no novelist would dare dream it.

It begins outside a burning plantation hut in Louisiana . . . and an East Texas honky-tonk . . . and, without a doubt, in the heart of God. It unfolds in a Hollywood hacienda . . . an upscale New York gallery . . . a downtown dumpster . . . a Texas ranch.

Gritty with pain and betrayal and brutality, this true story also shines with an unexpected, life-changing love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:26 -0400)

The co-author relates how he was held under plantation-style slavery until he fled in the 1960s and suffered homelessness for an additional eighteen years before the wife of the other co-author, an art dealer accustomed to privilege, intervened.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,659,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible