Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews
5204428,042 (4.11)40

3.5/5 stars. This is the kind of gentle speculative fiction I enjoy. I don't mean gentle as in nothing happens and everyone sings tra la la, I mean it as in it features a woman with a sort of peaceful, protective magic. In this case, an "innkeeper," with a magic broom who is tied to her inn. In so many ways it reminds me of Tanya Huff, both her Keeper Chronicles and Gale Girls series.

This book was apparently written as an online serial, and it shows in the way that it's hilarious how sometimes things pop up and are resolved, almost as if the writers (Ilona and Gordon) are challenging each other and meeting that challenge. Don't take that to mean the book isn't coherent, though, because it is. It's silly and fun and I was glad to read in the notes that they're already working on a sequel because I want to learn so much more about this world and about this woman and her inn in particular. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I love how Ilona writes the paranormal world. Kate Daniels world is awesome and this one I just can't wait to read more of because I love it already.

I love the system of magic and science and things like that work in this world (don't want to write any spoilers). It's definitely different and not something I've read before (the origins of the werewolves, vampires and such).

I can't wait to read more about Dina - I thought it would be a typical werewolf vs vampire over a girl kind of thing. It is kind of leads to that but its not the main focus. I hope the next books centres more around her and her adventures without the males being too prominent in her life.. kind of how Kate Daniels started out.

The Innkeeper's role is really great! I love how Ilona wrote it and how everything fits and works out. This concept is something I would definately run with :) ( )
  t1774ny | Sep 16, 2018 |
Magic, Vampires, Werewolves, the Alpha-Strain, humans (who are completely in the dark about everything), The Innkeeper and The Inn...

Dina Demille is the Innkeeper and has revived the Inn she has taken over. The Inn was in hibernation/stasis for a very long time, until Dina came and woke up the Gertrude Hunt Inn.

Clean Sweep is book one in the Innkeeper Chronicles. I’m looking forward to the next books in the series.

Now that Gertrude Hunt Inn is open for business, let the fun begin. ( )
  DaffiMere | Sep 3, 2018 |
This was an excellent introduction to the Innkeeper chronicles, which I like just as much as the Kate Daniels series. Maybe I like the Edge the best but I'm not sure about that. I guess I like all of Ilona Andrews work. Sean is an interesting hero. It was interesting seeing him learn about this true past and then the repercussions that has in the later books. Dina is a strong character -- smart but also having very human traits and ethics. She's not perfect, which is very refreshing when you've read too many Mary Sue characters. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Yesssssssss a new Ilona Andrews series!!!!!! Love it! ended on a sad note though - I was hoping for some romance! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Brutus was dead.

Serialized free e-book - http://demo.ilona-andrews.com/

On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is...different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can’t leave the grounds because she’s responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Under the circumstances, "normal" is a bit of a stretch for Dina.
And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night....Feeling responsible for her neighbors, Dina decides to get involved. Before long, she has to juggle dealing with the annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans - an alpha-strain werewolf - and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland, while trying to keep her inn and its guests safe. But the enemy she’s facing is unlike anything she’s ever encountered before. It’s smart, vicious, and lethal, and putting herself between this creature and her neighbors might just cost her everything.

"On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shi-tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is ... different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can't leave the grounds because she's responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Under the circumstances, 'normal' is a bit of a stretch for Dina. And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night ... Feeling responsible for her neighbors, Dina decides to get involved. Before long, she has to juggle dealing with the annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans -- an alpha-strain werewolf -- and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland, while trying to keep her inn and its guests safe. But the enemy she's facing is unlike anything she's ever encountered before. It's smart, vicious, and lethal; and putting herself between this creature and her neighbors might just cost her everything."--Page 4 of cover.Dina Demille runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town... but her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn thinks for itself, and is a lodging for otherworldly visitors. The only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can't leave the grounds because she's responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Now something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night. To keep her neighbors and guests safe, Dina has to juggle dealing with annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans-- an alpha-strain werewolf -- and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible