The Faerie Guardian by Rachel Morgan

The Faerie Guardian

by Rachel Morgan

1901995,640 (4.08)6
Protecting humans from dangerous magical creatures is all in a day's work for a faerie training to be a guardian. Seventeen-year-old Violet Fairdale knows this better than anyone-she's about to become the best guardian the Guild has seen in years. That is, until a cute human boy who can somehow see through her faerie glamour follows her into the fae realm. Now she's broken Guild Law, a crime that could lead to her expulsion. The last thing Vi wants to do is spend any more time with the boy who got her into this mess, but the Guild requires that she return Nate to his home and make him forget everything he's discovered of the fae realm. Easy, right? Not when you factor in evil faeries, long-lost family members, and inconvenient feelings of the romantic kind. Vi is about to find herself tangled up in a dangerous plot-and it'll take all her training to get out of it alive.… (more)

The Faerie Guardian by Rachel Morgan is the first book in the Creepy Hollow series, and revolves around ... you guessed it! Faeries. Now, I don't usually read books about fairies, because I adore fairies and I have this irrational fear that authors will ruin them for me. In truth, my first all-out fairy read was Sarah J. Maas' Heir of Fire, which I read only recently and enjoyed. So, when I got my hands on this book I was tentatively worried to try another author's take on fairies.

Thankfully, Rachel Morgan did a good job when it came to her fairies.

That said, there were a few things I didn't particularly like about the book - a few editing mistakes, some characterisation flaws (it happens to the best of writers, so I'm not really too bothered with that), a few tropes here and there - but it didn't hinder my reading experience. Always a plus, in my opinion.

We follow the story of Violet, a purple-haired fairy who guards humans against some weird creatures that slipped out of the fairy realm and into the human world. On her last assignment, however, things don't happen as planned. A human boy is pulled back with her into the fairy realm. That's a big no-no according to the laws, but then again, humans aren't even supposed to survive the trip ... From there on, we follow them on a journey of intrigue and meet some interesting characters along the way.

The Faerie Guardian is an enjoyable Sunday read if you're in the mood for a YA fantasy. Definitely worth a read for younger audiences.

Review originally posted at:
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
I've been looking for a good faerie story for a while. I lean toward YA books for that because once we go streamline adult it becomes...well...swamped down with sex and that is not the story I want. I want to escape to another realm, so to speak. :) This was different and I found the plot a little edgy with some nice twists and turns. I will definitely keep an eye out for the next one. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jul 27, 2019 |
Sooo.... Something different to start on from my usual thrillers and on the bat after a few pages I am already hooked. I like a great adventure with action, drama, romance, comedy. Book was great the beginning to the middle but the end it was not like twister but definitely something I really didn't expect or want to even happen. I thought it would be like the underworld where an abomination was born but none. I definitely looking forward to the next book and have already started reading it. So i hope things work out for the better in the second book else I might not return for the 3rd. One thing is that I am still holding thumbs for Nate that's all I can say ( )
  Fawaaz.Manuel | Sep 25, 2018 |
The Faerie Guardian introduces seventeen year-old Violet Fairdale, a top rate faerie guardian who excels in protecting humans from all things that go bump in the night. Things become complicated when Violet’s latest assignment, Nate, sees more than he should and a former friend, Ryn, is determined to overtake Violet’s place as top guardian within the Guild. Violet must determine if she can protect Nate and remain the Guilds top guardian while will working within the rule, or if these new challenges come with rules all on their own.

Violet’s world changes when she meets Nate. Nate is a cute human who can see through her faerie glamour and follows her into the Fae realm (an act that should have killed him). Human exposure to the fae realm breaks one of the Guild most sacred laws and jeopardizes Violet’s place in the Guild. To make amends, Violet must return Nate to the human realm and make him forget everything related to the Fae realm. This becomes complicated as Violet begins to develop feelings for Nate and must navigate her responsibility to the Guild, her developing feelings for Nate, her tumultuous relationship with a former friend, and uncovering the nefarious plots of evil faeries.

I loved Violet as a character. She has a clear voice that is both sarcastic and earnest. She quickly falls for Nate soon after meeting him, and through her eyes we can easily see his appeal. Violet and Nate exchange in lighthearted banter and is colored by the glow of new connections. Though their relationship changes throughout the story, their dynamic is still an integral part of the story ark. Violet and Nate’s dynamic also provides a great contrast to Violet and Ryn’s. Violet and Ryn’s words are more pointed and have a past shadowed in uncertainty and miscommunication. Their interactions are so charged that you can’t help but to become captivated by them both individually and together.

Overall, I loved the story and world that Rachel created. Though some parts of the plot felt rushed or underdeveloped (specifically related to Nate) the characters and their interactions help to elevate to story and give heart and depth to all actions making them seem realistic and viable options given the situations. I would definitely recommend both the book and the series to lovers of Fae, fantasy, smart humorous writing, and female characters who are strong, capable, and allowed to have human responses to fantastical situations. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Apr 27, 2018 |
As I was reading the beginning of The Faerie Guardian I was inwardly groaning because it seemed so predictable like the stereotypical fantasy story. The faerie girl, Violet, starts to fall in love with the human boy, Nate which is a big no-no in the faerie world. And then Nate turns out to be a half-ling as they find out secrets about his biological mother (don’t worry this isn’t a big spoiler). But as I kept on reading the story redeems itself with impressive action scenes, satisfying character development, and amazing fantasy aspects.

Violet is a main protagonist that appeals to readers and though she starts off with a “always follow the rules” mindset, she eventually starts to loosen up and follow her heart. She also shows that under all the confidence she constantly radiates she’s still afraid of making mistakes and being vulnerable. She tries to do her best and aspires to be a great guardian like her parents were.

On a side note, I thought Nate’s misconception of how faeries look and act to be very funny. It kinda mirrors our “human thinking” in expecting all fairies to be tiny little pixies like Tinkerbell.

One of the downsides to the novel is that story’s ending comes to a abrupt stop without it being an actual cliffhanger. The story never really comes to a close and is left open-ended making you second guess if you at the end of the book. It left me feeling a little confused. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
Guild Rule No. 1:

Never bring a human into the fae realm.

Guild Rule No. 2:

Never reveal yourself to a human.
My assignment tonight is cuter than most.
Feelings Suck!
Rachel Allyson Stone and Rachel Morgan have both written books with this title.

This novel was originally published in four separate parts: Guardian, Labyrinth, Traitor and Masquerade. It includes bonus scenes at the end that were not published in the individual parts.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible