HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Dead Things (2013)

by Stephen Blackmoore

Series: Eric Carter (1)

Stephen Blackmoore's dark urban fantasy series follows necromancer Eric Carter through a world of vengeful gods and goddesses, mysterious murders, and restless ghosts. Necromancer is such an ugly word, but it's a title Eric Carter is stuck with. He sees ghosts, talks to the dead. He's turned it into a lucrative career putting troublesome spirits to rest, sometimes taking on even more dangerous things. For a fee, of course. When he left LA fifteen years ago, he thought he'd never go back. Too many bad memories. Too many people trying to kill him. But now his sister's been brutally murdered and Carter wants to find out why. Was it the gangster looking to settle a score? The ghost of a mage he killed the night he left town? Maybe it's the patron saint of violent death herself, Santa Muerte, who's taken an unusually keen interest in him. Carter's going to find out who did it, and he's going to make them pay. As long as they don't kill him first.… (more)
    Nekropolis by Tim Waggoner (LongDogMom)
    Blood Engines by T. A. Pratt (LongDogMom)
    Dead Men's Boots by Mike Carey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Gritty, dark urban fantasy dealing with the dead and supernatural threats
    Death's Hand by SM Reine (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Dark fantasy and necromancers dealing with supernatural horrors
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Gritty noir urban fantasy of similar style
    Butcher Bird by Richard Kadrey (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are gritty, noir urban fantasy-supernatural mysteries of a similar style.

I listened to a multicast audio of this book and really liked it. The downside was listening to it in the car and police sirens would go off in the story. Eric is a necromancer that left LA after tangling with a drug boss in order to protect his non magical sister. But 15 years later he gets a call that his sister has been murdered and he come back with a vengeance. He quickly gets involved with Santa Muerte, asks for a favor for information on who killed Lucy. Eric catches up with his old friend to find out exactly what has happened with his sister and what is going on in the magical LA community. Eric isn’t Mr. Nice Guy, but he gets the job done. He is hard on himself and his allies, and everyone will pay for that during the book.
I’m late to this series so I get to binge on the series in audio.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 4, 2023 |
Mages are born with a knack. Illusions, transformations, divinations. Some people are just better at some things than others. I got dead things. Yay me.

Wow.

This book hits a lot of things I haven't read in a long time.

It's a quick read. I finished it a day. After the much more wordy tomes of the expanse, this was a welcome change.

It's absolutely chock full of cursing (barely a page goes by without at least one f**k thrown in) and violence. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another book I've read which comes close to the former. The latter is just a hairs breath away in my opinion from gratuitous, but it works.

One thing to particularly like about this series is the worldbuilding. It's not particularly novel among urban fantasy that I've read, but it's done well. There are bits and pieces of all sorts of things thrown in--in particular, it was interesting to read about Santa Muerte, the 'Patron Saint' of Narcos--with something of a thematic theme throughout.

But sometimes the best tool for the job is a tool that shouldn’t exist.

On top of that, the main character--Eric Carter--is a necromancer. He's got some serious magical chops when it comes to manipulating and using the dead while at the same time manages to get the crap beat out of him by the bigger bads. It's an interesting take on a main character to be so intimate with death from the get go.

Despite the language and violence, there's also a lot of humor in the series. Eric's full of snark and wisecracks. Makes for a nice contrast to the otherwise grim world.

We pull off the 110 at Anaheim and head south to the docks. Outside the gates I pull off a few nametags from the roll in the glovebox and write GRAY HONDA CIVIC TOTALLY NOT A CADILLAC on one, slap it on the outside of the windshield.

(That totally works)

And then, there's the ending. Eric makes a deal with the devil--in a manner of speaking--and the deal comes due while at the same time answering a few other lingering questions. There are some pretty hard hitting twists and changes that really make me wonder where this series is going next.

Well worth the read. If you're worried about the language or the violence, perhaps try the first chapter. You'll know by the end of that whether this is the book for you. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
awesome read. looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
I come to with no idea where I am. When my vision clears and I can take in the scene, I still don't know. It's a plush room, wherever it is. An office with green walls and dark wood wainscoting. Old English hunting prints, shelves lined with leather-bound books, lamps on the walls that wouldn't be out of place in the nineteenth century. A desk with a heavy leather chair and old-style ledger books. I'm sprawled in one of two high backed Victorian chairs.
I've been kidnapped by Charles Dickens. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Mar 29, 2021 |
A mediocre and rather depressing book. Not a very good plot, quite predictable and transparent at times. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |

Stephen Blackmooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,865,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible