Omens by Kelley Armstrong

Omens

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Cainsville (1)

I've previously read Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series, which I found thoroughly entertaining and impressive. I don't think this particular series is for me, however. There's a touch of paranormal, but it pretty much boils down to a whodunit. Much of the plot moves forward via events that are beyond normal realms, and there are clues as to what it could be, but ultimately no reveal is offered. I had the feeling of having left something unresolved, when I finished reading Omens .

AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
Olivia is very happy. She's wealthy, engaged to a wonderful man who she loves and who loves her, she works at a fulfilling job, and she's decided to return to college for a higher degree. And then one night the news breaks: she's adopted, and her biological parents are notorious serial killers. This sends Olivia reeling, her identity in question. Who is she really? What might she have inherited from her biological parents?

Desperate to get away from the media, Olivia runs and finds herself in Cainsville, a very mysterious town that is much more than it seems. She also finds out that she, herself, is more than she seems, because she can see and read signs.

When Olivia's biological mother asks for Olivia to visit in prison, Olivia says no, but then reconsiders hoping to get some questions answered. What she finds is a mystery that could lead to proving her biological parents innocence of two of the eight murders laid at their feet.

Despite the presence of the supernatural in Cainsville, this book is far more a mystery than anything else. Because I enjoy supernatural mysteries this worked for me. I'll read the next book in this series. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I read the novella Lost Souls a while back and loved it. Since I never read any of the Cainsville books before I Lost Souls was I eager to get my hands on the first book in the series (and the second and third).

As a big fan of urban fantasy was I curious to see how this series would turn out. Luckily the first book is really good and it was great to get the backstory for the characters in Lost Souls.

Olivia has it all, that's until it's revealed that she was adopted as a child and that her real parents are serial killers. Now, her mother can't stand her, her fiance is (or mostly his mother) hesitant about marrying her and the press is after her. She needs a job and somewhere safe to go. And, through weird events does she learn of a town called Cainsville...

Omens is a great book. I love the mix of paranormal and crime and Olvia is a very likable character. Cainsville intrigues me, you can really feel that the town is hiding things. That it looks normal on the surface, but underneath ... well, there is definitely something weird about the town and the ones living there. Then, there is Gabriel. Olivia doesn't know what she will make of him, he used to be her real mother's lawyer, but now there is bad blood between them. Now he wants to help her, well for a price of course.

Omens is just the kind of book I love to read. I love weird little towns in the middle of nowhere and Cainsville is just the kind of town that I just know have a lot of secrets. The first book managed very well to introduce the characters. I'm curious to learn more about Olivia, her parents, Gabriel etc. If you like urban fantasy will you love this book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 23, 2018 |
This was a really absorbing read. Yes, the girl with extra abilities meets and works with the attractive emotionally unavailable man and an attractive rogue, so many of the elements are so so familiar, and yet they work almost as if this is a first pass through them as our woman in distress has a rather unusual set of parental problems that trigger the plot. I wasn't totally charmed by Cainsville, perhaps because the architectural details didn't speak to me and the gargoyles were just too cute (I like gargoyles to eat pigeons I guess, not show up and vanish coyly. Also, I'd like to see Italian or Croatian fae, the Celtic crud is way way overdone in urban fantasy. ( )
  quondame | Mar 22, 2018 |
Great new series by one of my favourite authors. Guilty pleasure reading at it's paranormal best! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Mar 10, 2018 |
In the opening chapters of this new series, best-selling author Kelley Armstrong seems to be venturing into dark thriller territory, but the story soon cedes ground to the author’s usual supernatural fare, when Olivia begins having premonitions.

Armstrong also does an excellent job of writing her heroine. Although Olivia initially seems like an annoyingly over-privileged society girl, Armstrong transforms her into someone the reader wants to root for. It’s surprising how smart and fierce Olivia turns out to be once she’s given the chance to break out of her self-absorbed bubble.

The novel’s strengths are the characters of Olivia, Gabriel, and Cainsville itself, but it’s difficult to care about whether Olivia’s parents have been wrongly convicted. Armstrong skilfully entices her readers to crave the next instalment in the series, but frustratingly leaves many questions unanswered.
added by monnibo | editQuill & Quire, Suzanne Gardner (Sep 1, 2013)

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gosling, AudranCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramondo, AnthonyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR JEFF,
who knew I needed a new story to tell
and encouraged me to take the leap.
Eden crawled into the living room, the rough carpet burning her chubby knees and hands. (prologue)
I waited in the shelter drop-in center for my next appointment. (chapter 1)
[Grace's reply when Olivia says she called him.]
'I wouldn't call Gabriel Walsh if I was (sic) on fire.' She pursed her lips. 'No, I might. To sue everyone responsible -- from the person who lit the match to those who made my clothes. But I'd wait until the fire was out. Otherwise, he'd just stand there until I was burned enough for a sizable settlement.' (chapter 18)
Gabriel knocked at my door at ten to six. When I let him in, he sniffed the air, frowning slightly. Then he noticed my guest.

'You have a cat.'

'Not by choice.' I shut down my laptop. 'He came in last night chasing a mouse and apparently he likes it here. I kicked him out in the morning and found him at my door when I came back. I left him in the hall, but he started caterwauling. Grace came. She tried taking him outside. He scratched her arms, so she threw him in here and told me I have a cat.' (chapter 37)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong begins her new series with Omens, featuring a compelling new heroine thrust into a decades-old murder case and the dark mysteries surrounding her strange new home.

Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers serving a life sentence. When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted family and fiancé, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia and her efforts to uncover her birth parents’ past.

Aided by her mother’s former lawyer, Gabriel Walsh, Olivia focuses on the Larsens’ last crime, the one her birth mother swears will prove their innocence. But as she and Gabriel start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies. Because there are darker secrets behind her new home and powers lurking in the shadows that have their own plans for her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:22 -0400)

After learning that she is the daughter of accused serial killers Todd and Pamela Larsen, privileged 24-year-old Olivia Taylor ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, to prove her birthparents' innocence. But as she and Gabriel, her mother's lawyer, start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,417,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible