Omens

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Cainsville (1)

After learning that she is the daughter of accused serial killers Todd and Pamela Larsen, privileged 24-year-old Olivia Taylor ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, to prove her birthparents' innocence. But as she and Gabriel, her mother's lawyer, start investigating the case, Olivia finds herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her childhood, gifts that make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable to unknown enemies.… (more)
Recently added byRennie8888, Arina8888, whewtaewoon

This is the first book I've read by this author. From reading some of the reviews on this site since I finished the book I understand that this is a break from her usual style, which may explain some of the issues I had with the book.

The blurb on the back of the book sounded great. I expected an action packed thriller, part detective novel, based on the lead character making discoveries about her parents' and her own past, and how this affected the present day. I expected dark sub-plots. This was all in there, but it got a bit muddled. I thought there were too many themes going on at once, in particular the investigative theme and the supernatural element, such that they clamoured for attention, and the supernatural part seemed forced. The book would have been perfectly well off without this at all. It was as though it was put in because that was what was expected of the author.

There were a lot of characters in this book, and at times I lost track of who was who. The lead characters weren't particularly endearing. I thought the protagonist was arrogant and selfish. I don't get why she had no friends and that everyone was suddenly so interested in her.

The storyline didn't flow particularly well either. The main thread of the story, trying to prove her parents' innocence, was intriguing and kept me reading, but the end was inconclusive. A major theme was introduced, totally without warning, towards the end of the book, which took over the plot completely. I lost interest by this point as it was another sub-plot too many. It turned into a big mess.

There is no doubt this author can write though, the scenes were set really well and the events were well described. There was just too much going on at once. But credit to her for trying something different.
  Triduana | Jan 25, 2022 |
Surprisingly good for a mixed genre novel. Interesting characters and a decent ending. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Really good series about a rich woman who suddenly discovers she's not only adopted but her real parents are convicted serial killers. Then things get really weird as she discovers she's the embodiment of a myth reliving it again. Her choices will impact 2 communities. ( )
  karidrgn | Aug 6, 2019 |
I read the novella Lost Souls a while back and loved it. Since I never read any of the Cainsville books before I Lost Souls was I eager to get my hands on the first book in the series (and the second and third).

As a big fan of urban fantasy was I curious to see how this series would turn out. Luckily the first book is really good and it was great to get the backstory for the characters in Lost Souls.

Olivia has it all, that's until it's revealed that she was adopted as a child and that her real parents are serial killers. Now, her mother can't stand her, her fiance is (or mostly his mother) hesitant about marrying her and the press is after her. She needs a job and somewhere safe to go. And, through weird events does she learn of a town called Cainsville...

Omens is a great book. I love the mix of paranormal and crime and Olvia is a very likable character. Cainsville intrigues me, you can really feel that the town is hiding things. That it looks normal on the surface, but underneath ... well, there is definitely something weird about the town and the ones living there. Then, there is Gabriel. Olivia doesn't know what she will make of him, he used to be her real mother's lawyer, but now there is bad blood between them. Now he wants to help her, well for a price of course.

Omens is just the kind of book I love to read. I love weird little towns in the middle of nowhere and Cainsville is just the kind of town that I just know have a lot of secrets. The first book managed very well to introduce the characters. I'm curious to learn more about Olivia, her parents, Gabriel etc. If you like urban fantasy will you love this book! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I've previously read Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series, which I found thoroughly entertaining and impressive. I don't think this particular series is for me, however. There's a touch of paranormal, but it pretty much boils down to a whodunit. Much of the plot moves forward via events that are beyond normal realms, and there are clues as to what it could be, but ultimately no reveal is offered. I had the feeling of having left something unresolved, when I finished reading Omens .

AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
In the opening chapters of this new series, best-selling author Kelley Armstrong seems to be venturing into dark thriller territory, but the story soon cedes ground to the author’s usual supernatural fare, when Olivia begins having premonitions.

Armstrong also does an excellent job of writing her heroine. Although Olivia initially seems like an annoyingly over-privileged society girl, Armstrong transforms her into someone the reader wants to root for. It’s surprising how smart and fierce Olivia turns out to be once she’s given the chance to break out of her self-absorbed bubble.

The novel’s strengths are the characters of Olivia, Gabriel, and Cainsville itself, but it’s difficult to care about whether Olivia’s parents have been wrongly convicted. Armstrong skilfully entices her readers to crave the next instalment in the series, but frustratingly leaves many questions unanswered.
added by monnibo | editQuill & Quire, Suzanne Gardner (Sep 1, 2013)

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gosling, AudranCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montbertrand, CarineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ramondo, AnthonyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Is abridged in

FOR JEFF,
who knew I needed a new story to tell
and encouraged me to take the leap.
Eden crawled into the living room, the rough carpet burning her chubby knees and hands. (prologue)
I waited in the shelter drop-in center for my next appointment. (chapter 1)
[Grace's reply when Olivia says she called him.]
'I wouldn't call Gabriel Walsh if I was (sic) on fire.' She pursed her lips. 'No, I might. To sue everyone responsible -- from the person who lit the match to those who made my clothes. But I'd wait until the fire was out. Otherwise, he'd just stand there until I was burned enough for a sizable settlement.' (chapter 18)
Gabriel knocked at my door at ten to six. When I let him in, he sniffed the air, frowning slightly. Then he noticed my guest.

'You have a cat.'

'Not by choice.' I shut down my laptop. 'He came in last night chasing a mouse and apparently he likes it here. I kicked him out in the morning and found him at my door when I came back. I left him in the hall, but he started caterwauling. Grace came. She tried taking him outside. He scratched her arms, so she threw him in here and told me I have a cat.' (chapter 37)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,270,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible