Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by…

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal (original 2013; edition 2022)

by Mary Roach (Author)

Medical. Science. Nonfiction. "America's funniest science writer" (Washington Post) takes us down the hatch on an unforgettable tour. The alimentary canal is classic Mary Roach terrain: the questions explored in Gulp are as taboo, in their way, as the cadavers in Stiff and every bit as surreal as the universe of zero gravity explored in Packing for Mars. Why is crunchy food so appealing? Why is it so hard to find words for flavors and smells? Why doesn't the stomach digest itself? How much can you eat before your stomach bursts? Can constipation kill you? Did it kill Elvis? In Gulp we meet scientists who tackle the questions no one else thinks of-or has the courage to ask. We go on location to a pet-food taste-test lab, a fecal transplant, and into a live stomach to observe the fate of a meal. With Roach at our side, we travel the world, meeting murderers and mad scientists, Eskimos and exorcists (who have occasionally administered holy water rectally), rabbis and terrorists-who, it turns out, for practical reasons do not conceal bombs in their digestive tracts. Like all of Roach's books, Gulp is as much about human beings as it is about human bodies.… (more)
Member:mollyalex
Title:Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
Authors:Mary Roach (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2022), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

Work Information

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach (2013)

Vitamania: How Vitamins Revolutionized the Way We Think About Food by Catherine Price (themulhern)
    themulhern: Catherine Price is like a slightly more serious Mary Roach.

English (169)  Spanish (1)  All languages (170)
Interesting book. I like the information and humor that Mary Roach brings to her books, even if some of it is gross. Who would have thought that a book about the digestive system could be disgusting? ( )
  zeronetwo | May 14, 2024 |
like everything Mary Roach has written so far- it presents educational material in such a way that you sometimes laugh at loud. Everything you really wanted to know about the digestive process and probably much you'll be happy to forget
  cspiwak | Mar 6, 2024 |
This is a tough one to rate. I like Roach's style of nerdy investigation and humor and I have loved most of her books. I had a hard time with this one though because its really, really gross.

My habit of reading while eating lunch did not work with this subject matter but frankly, I'm not sure it would ever be pleasant to read.

So so didn't dislike it but I didn't enjoy it either. I'm going with 3 stars. If you like her other work you will like this one and your enjoyment will depend on your individual tolerance for nasty stuff. ( )
  hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
I really liked some sections of the book but others not so much. Still worth reading. She is a great science writer. ( )
  cdaley | Nov 2, 2023 |
This is a nice, contained topic for a Mary Roach book, which helps it enormously. You learn a little about each portion of the digestive tract and the enthusiastic scientists who study them. Very fun. ( )
  KallieGrace | Oct 27, 2023 |

Zeller, Emily WooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Lily and Phoebe, and my brother Rip
Introduction
In 1968, on the Berkeley campus of the University of California, six young men undertook an irregular and unprecedented act.
The sensory analyst rides a Harley.
"The human digestive tract is like the Amtrak line from Seattle to Los Angeles: transit time is about thirty hours, and the scenery on the last leg is pretty monotonous."
RodentPro gift certificates are available.   Because nothing says "I love you" like $100 of dead rodents delivered to the doorstep. (Chap. 12)

Best-selling author Mary Roach returns with a new adventure to the invisible realm we carry around inside. Roach takes us down the hatch on an unforgettable tour.

The alimentary canal is classic Mary Roach terrain: The questions explored in Gulp are as taboo, in their way, as the cadavers in Stiff and every bit as surreal as the universe of zero gravity explored in Packing for Mars. Why is crunchy food so appealing? Why is it so hard to find words for flavors and smells? Why doesn’t the stomach digest itself? How much can you eat before your stomach bursts? Can constipation kill you? Did it kill Elvis?

In Gulp we meet scientists who tackle the questions no one else thinks of - or has the courage to ask. We go on location to a pet-food taste-test lab, a fecal transplant, and into a live stomach to observe the fate of a meal. With Roach as our guide, we travel the world, meeting murderers and mad scientists, Eskimos and exorcists (who have occasionally administered holy water rectally), rabbis and terrorists - who, it turns out, for practical reasons do not conceal bombs in their digestive tracts. Like all of Roach’s books, Gulp is as much about human beings as it is about human bodies.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,954,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible