Making Love: An Erotic Odyssey

by Richard Rhodes

55None479,576 (3.25)None
Making Love is a brilliant, illuminating and often shocking exploration of one man's sexual odyssey. Beautifully written by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Making of the Atomic Bomb and A Hole in the World, Making Love is at once a revolutionary document of sexual frankness and a breathtaking erotic manifesto, a book that will challenge and liberate every reader, male and female. Making Love is a stunning departure for Richard Rhodes--a compellingly truthful work of art that marks the first time a major author has written with such complete and unapologetic candor of his most intimate experiences, fantasies and thoughts. As Rhodes himself writes:. "I wrote Making Love to explore a part of daily life that has been cut off from open discussion for centuries. I wanted to describe honestly one man's personal experience--my personal experience--of sex and of physical love. I wanted to try to understand how that common experience shaped my life from childhood up to the present, how it helped me work through the trauma of child abuse, what I learned from it about my partners, what it contributed to intimacy and in coming to love. Men and women will find intimate experience here to compare with their own. "Explicit description of sexual experience has long been taboo. For that reason, some readers will find Making Love shocking at first. Knowledge is always better than ignorance. Pain and shame poison the air behind too many locked bedroom doors. When the shock wears off, I hope readers will appreciate my candor."… (more)

No reviews
because it is "fact" ("It happened"), Mr. Rhodes permits himself the kind of cliches that even the most worthless novelist would impatiently discard... Mr. Rhodes, who won both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award for "The Making of the Atomic Bomb," has so far presented himself as such a picture of sexual health that you start wishing the book had been written by someone more interestingly screwed up -- like a coprophiliac pig farmer or a sadomasochistic funeral director. Despite the corny chauvinism inherent in his imagery, or his catch phrases ("fleshy as a ripe plum," "fingers in the same pie," "climbed aboard," "bucked like a mustang"), Mr. Rhodes keeps letting us know how strenuously p.c. he is. "I valued my partners first and foremost as persons," for example.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,646,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible