And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

And the Mountains Echoed (edition 2014)

by Khaled Hosseini

4,4532921,561 (4)213
Member:pujaguha
Title:And the Mountains Echoed
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Trade (2014), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Moonlit Cage by Linda Holeman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Sold by their impoverished families, the young Afghan girls at the center of these sweeping novels undergo long, arduous journeys, geographically and emotionally, before coming to terms with their experiences. Though centuries separate the narratives, both offer richly detailed settings.… (more)

English (249)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Catalan (3)  Italian (3)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (272)
And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled HosseiniI liked this book but I found it a little difficult to follow all the characters at times. Hosseini weaves a complicated fabric of the past and present and how each life has progressed. I would have liked to have known more about the lives of some of the main characters and the one fault of the book is that it seems to jump around a lot from times and places and leaves you somewhat dissatisfied and wanting to know more ( )
  rena75 | Nov 14, 2018 |
I really enjoyed [A Thousand Splendid Suns], so I was looking forward to this book. [And The Mountains Echoed] is more of a collection of short stories than a fluid novel. The main story is the separation of Abdullah and his sister Pari when they are children and along the way you meet many other characters who are directly or indirectly impacted by this.

I guess the idea was to show how this separation echoed out among all these other people, how one simple act can affect so many others and have both good and bad consequences. Thinking back on it now I can see that, but as I was listening to the book it just made the book choppy. It reminded me of [Mirror in the Mirror] by [[Michael Ende]]. That book IS a collection of short stories and one character or place from the last story connects to the next one. MitM was meant to be abstract, where I don't believe that was the author's intent with this book. ( )
  sailorfigment | Oct 31, 2018 |
Really glad I read And the Mountains Echoed. Hosseini is a good writer, can go a bit overboard with events that are meant to tug at peoples heartstrings, but he greatly improved with this book. It all starts with 1 event, bother and sister are separated at a young age. The book deals with various characters who are effected by this and finally at the end they are reunited. I love the ending, not cheesy where Abdullah can tell who she is right away and not even after she is there a month can he due to his old age and alzheimers. It was a little confusing at times remembering who this person was that was getting chapter because sometimes they were just mentioned in 1 sentence chapters ago or you'l fnd out who they are/how they relate to the siblings being split up in the last chapter. Overall a really good book. ( )
  wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
Content notes: A poor man sells a baby to a rich woman. Also, two mercy killings of disabled people by their long-term caregivers.

There are a lot of twos in this book: Two disfigured little girls. Two highly privileged young men who have a brief but intense connection to someone whose desperate state inspires a mercifully fleeting desire to become a better person. Two people who spend decades with the object of their unrequited, unspoken love. I think this must be some literary technique at work, reflecting or reinforcing the main pairing: two women named Pari, one of whom used to imagine the other was her invisible identical twin.

There are sibling or sibling-like relationships in all the stories in this book. The ones between people who are actually present in each other's lives are strong but unsatisfying, as real relationships tend to be. The ones that are broken or only imagined are far more compelling than reality.

If I weren't reading it for book group, I wouldn't have gotten very far with its mood of longing for a different, better world combined with the futility of making any changes in this one. ( )
  susanramirez | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is the third book by Khaled Hosseini and quality of writing continues to suffer. This book isn't really one story but rather a collection of many short stories, which just happen to share few characters among them. Each story tells life and circumstances of a character, and while stories are supposed to be poignant, they failed to bring out as much emotion in me as Kite Runner - his first book - had done. It could as well be that novelty of Afgan social setting has worn off with me or that I have become jaded. Primary story, of Abdullah and Pari, gets merely cursory details in novel, and not more than those of incidental and irrelevant characters like Timur, Adel, Markos and Thalia, etc. Another annoying format in this book was temporal and geographical jump in every chapter without even bothering to inform the reader. I had to read first few pages before I even figured who is talking and why, and then had to re-read to understand content again. I would close by saying that book isn't unreadable and Khaled's writing still manages to balance out describing the ambiance and moving the story forward without dwelling on either too much. However, there isn't much push to continue reading either nor if there any lingering emotion after completing it. ( )
  ashishg | Sep 7, 2018 |

there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Jelaluddin Rumi, 13th century
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah,
both the noor of my eyes, and to my father,
who would have been proud
For Elaine
So, then.  You want a story and I will tell you one.  But just the one.
I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.
J'aurais du etre plus gentille--I should have been more kind. That is something a person will never regret.
Beauty is an enormous, unmerited gift given randomly, stupidly.

Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live in the small village of Shadbagh. To Abdullah, Pari - as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named - is everything. More like a parent than a brother, Abdullah will do anything for her, even trading his only pair of shoes for a feather for her treasured collection. Each night they sleep together in their cot, their heads touching, their limbs entangled.

One day the siblings journey across the desert to Kabul with their father. Pari and Abdullah have no sense of the fate that awaits them there, for the event which unfolds will tear their lives apart; sometimes a finger must be cut to save the hand.

Crossing generations and continents, moving from Kabul, to Paris, to San Francisco, to the Greek island of Tinos, Khaled Hosseini writes about the bonds that define us and shape our lives, and how the choices we make resonate through history.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159463176X, Hardcover)

On May 21, 2013, the new novel from Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini, the #1 New York Times-bestselling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, has written a new novel about how we love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

Presents a story inspired by human love, how people take care of one another, and how choices resonate through subsequent generations. Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live with their father and step-mother in the small village of Shadbagh. Their father, Saboor, is constantly in search of work and they struggle together through poverty and brutal winters. To Adbullah, Pari, as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named, is everything.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,262,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible