And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

And the Mountains Echoed (edition 2014)

by Khaled Hosseini

Member:pujaguha
Title:And the Mountains Echoed
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:Riverhead Trade (2014), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Moonlit Cage by Linda Holeman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Sold by their impoverished families, the young Afghan girls at the center of these sweeping novels undergo long, arduous journeys, geographically and emotionally, before coming to terms with their experiences. Though centuries separate the narratives, both offer richly detailed settings.… (more)

English (231)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (4)  Catalan (3)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (253)
And the Mountains Echoed And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled HosseiniI liked this book but I found it a little difficult to follow all the characters at times. Hosseini weaves a complicated fabric of the past and present and how each life has progressed. I would have liked to have known more about the lives of some of the main characters and the one fault of the book is that it seems to jump around a lot from times and places and leaves you somewhat dissatisfied and wanting to know more. ( )
  Rena37 | Oct 20, 2017 |
3.75

What to say about this book? Honestly, I’m not really sure. I thought about waiting for a few days before jumping into this review. You know, to clear my head and organise my ideas. Well, that wasn't smart because now I'm even more confused. And let's be honest, I will never be ready for this review. So, here I am… writing it.

First of all, a premise. This is the first book by Hosseini that I have ever read. There are so many reviews out there saying that “And the Mountains Echoed” can't t compare to the other masterpieces Hosseini wrote prior to this one. I don't know if that’s true (yet) but it appears that this little inconvenience could affect the way I perceive this author. So now I will have to read his other books because I'm so curious!

Anyways… It doesn't really matter if this is my first time reading Hosseini and unfortunately landing on a "not as good" a book (as pointed out by other more experienced readers) because what I could gather from it is that I absolutely love the author’s writing style! Hosseini is a natural born storyteller, there's nothing else to say! This is the main reason that is pushing me to read his other books. I’ve been captured by his style from page one, I'll never stop saying that. Hosseini simply knows how to tell a story!

He can transport the reader to Afghanistan with astonishing (and apparently effortless) talent. Readers aren't mere spectators of the story, they feel as if they are part of it. They find themselves invested, mentally and emotionally. Especially emotionally because, let me tell you, this story is heartbreaking! And if someone tells you that they didn't weep at least once, they are lying! I refuse to believe it.

Defining the underlying theme of this book is quite the challenge. Labeling it a tribute to brotherhood, and everything that comes with it, would be an embarrassing understatement. And, quite frankly, a little bit degrading too. It deals with so much more.
Hosseini takes his time to describe the complexity of relationships and he does it while trying to teach us a very important lesson - humans are generally driven by love but they are also incredibly fragile so falling is inevitable. The easiest mistake people tend to make in order to protect their fragility is to pretend that our actions come without consequences. This is especially true when we are not able to see those consequences with our own eyes. I think the take-home message is “life is a mess… and people are even messier”.

Now, what about the writing style? Hosseini uses the multiple point of view technique which basically means that many people tell countless of stories separated by time gaps (and also different settings). I am a huge fan of this particular technique, so he won me over there. I appreciated the great effort the author made in trying to intertwine almost perfectly all of the stories until they completely folded on each other, forming a perfect circle. However I consider some of them a little bit superfluous or maybe carried on for too long. A quick hint would have probably been enough.
The storylines I loved the most, and also the ones I would have liked lasted a tiny bit longer, were the ones involving Abdullah, Lari and Nabi. In my opinion they are the most vivid and allowed me to really connect to a deeper level with the characters.

Lastly, a huge thank you to Mr Hosseini! Thank you, sir, for opening my eyes to the Afghan culture! I must admit I’m not really informed about it but this book gave me an incredible insight and drastically changed some of my (wrong) ideas. ( )
  giorgialamacchi | Oct 19, 2017 |
Starting and ending with two powerfully bonded, motherless siblings in Afghanistan, Khaled Hosseini has written another masterpiece in his signature artful storytelling. It reflects the consequences of our actions and the consequences of being human. "And The Mountains Echoed" is a beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking journey that carries its readers through generations and across continents, and weaves the stories of hope, loss, and love in a truly breathtaking way. Those who have loved Hosseini's previous novels will not be disappointed. Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog. ( )
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
4.5 stars

Very much different from Hosseini's other novels but nonetheless an exquisitely crafted story with a host of fascinating, nuanced characters.

And the Mountains Echoed was almost like a basket (this is why I'm not the author. Nonetheless, please indulge me whilst I attempt to be artistic). You have all these different strands that can stand on their own as wonderful stories but then you weave them all together and you've got this absolutely touching and all-embracing story that resonates so strongly with you.

You will definitely find a piece of yourself in all these characters, no matter how small. I know I did. ( )
  fatmashahin | Sep 23, 2017 |
I loved his previous two novels, especially "The Kite Runner." Though the writing is stellar as ever, I struggled to keep up with, and maintain interest in, the multitude of characters and interwoven storylines. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |

there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Jelaluddin Rumi, 13th century
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah,
both the noor of my eyes, and to my father,
who would have been proud
For Elaine
So, then.  You want a story and I will tell you one.  But just the one.
I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.
J'aurais du etre plus gentille--I should have been more kind. That is something a person will never regret.
Beauty is an enormous, unmerited gift given randomly, stupidly.

Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live in the small village of Shadbagh. To Abdullah, Pari - as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named - is everything. More like a parent than a brother, Abdullah will do anything for her, even trading his only pair of shoes for a feather for her treasured collection. Each night they sleep together in their cot, their heads touching, their limbs entangled.

One day the siblings journey across the desert to Kabul with their father. Pari and Abdullah have no sense of the fate that awaits them there, for the event which unfolds will tear their lives apart; sometimes a finger must be cut to save the hand.

Crossing generations and continents, moving from Kabul, to Paris, to San Francisco, to the Greek island of Tinos, Khaled Hosseini writes about the bonds that define us and shape our lives, and how the choices we make resonate through history.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159463176X, Hardcover)

On May 21, 2013, the new novel from Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini, the #1 New York Times-bestselling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, has written a new novel about how we love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:06 -0400)

Presents a story inspired by human love, how people take care of one another, and how choices resonate through subsequent generations. Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live with their father and step-mother in the small village of Shadbagh. Their father, Saboor, is constantly in search of work and they struggle together through poverty and brutal winters. To Adbullah, Pari, as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named, is everything.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,690,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible