And the mountains echoed by Khaled Hosseini

And the mountains echoed (edition 2014)

by Khaled Hosseini

Presents a story inspired by human love, how people take care of one another, and how choices resonate through subsequent generations. Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live with their father and step-mother in the small village of Shadbagh. Their father, Saboor, is constantly in search of work and they struggle together through poverty and brutal winters. To Adbullah, Pari, as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named, is everything.… (more)
Member:CPK
Title:And the mountains echoed
Authors:Khaled Hosseini
Info:New York : Riverhead Books, 2014.

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

Recently added byArina40, booksngirls, Chiniak, fawnlus, VAnand, private library, GreatBookStudy
    A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story by Qais Akbar Omar (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Moonlit Cage by Linda Holeman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Sold by their impoverished families, the young Afghan girls at the center of these sweeping novels undergo long, arduous journeys, geographically and emotionally, before coming to terms with their experiences. Though centuries separate the narratives, both offer richly detailed settings.… (more)

English (267)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  German (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (291)
Hosseini writes eloquently of his home country -- it's an elegy for Afghanistan's past before it became a pawn for powerful and ruthless regimes. The various stories and generations that are entertwined with history are haunting and memorable. Kite Runner is still the gold standard, but this does not disappoint. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
Engaging storyline and great character development. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
I would call Hosseini more of a storyteller than an novelist, and this book strings a series of episodes with a meandering narrative thread that justifies putting them together, but doesn't really constitute an overarching novelistic insight or development. Still, the individual stories are engaging, well-wrought. ( )
  oatleyr | Aug 22, 2020 |
I patiently wait for the next book from Khaled Hosseini, knowing I will be rewarded for my patience with a wonderful story, vivid imagery and characters that stay with you well after the last page. I was not disappointed as the wait came to an end a few weeks ago and I snagged my signed copy of his new book.

This novel covers several decades and multiple characters and settings. It is written in different points of view. It could be a confusing mess. But Hosseini weaves the interesting stories together with such skill that I never lost track and I eagerly anticipated turning the page to see whose story would come next.

His subject, as with all of this books, is not light-hearted fare. Yet it is written with such depth and insight, I don't find it upsetting but rather confirming that life is complex in giving us both hardships and joys.

A must, must read. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
De eerste twee boeken van Khaled Hosseini las ik in 1 adem uit. Prachtige verhalen vond ik ze, en de schrijfstijl was zo ontzettend prettig. Jarenlang keek ik uit naar een derde boek en eindelijk kwam die dan. Ik kocht het boek meteen toen ik het in de boekhandel zag liggen en begon er enthousiast in te lezen. De eerste 2 hoofdstukken pakten me meteen: de prettige schrijfstijl, het beeldende schrijven, de rust die door de zinnen heen kwam. Maar daarna verwarde het verhaal me: elk hoofdstuk een ander hoofdpersoon met een ander verhaal. Het duur elke keer even voordat ik er in zat en sommige verhalen deden me weinig. Het boek viel me, mede daardoor, wat tegen. Ik begrijp waarom het zo is geschreven, maar ik vond het lastig om binding met het verhaal en de mensen te voelen. Ik ben sowieso niet iemand die erg dol is op verhalenbundels, en hoewel dit uiteindelijk 1 verhaal is, voelde dit toch ook als losse verhalen aan. Het is absoluut nog steeds een mooi boek, maar ik had er iets anders van verwacht. ( )
  prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |

there is a field.
I'll meet you there.
Jelaluddin Rumi, 13th century
This book is dedicated to Haris and Farah,
both the noor of my eyes, and to my father,
who would have been proud
For Elaine
So, then.  You want a story and I will tell you one.  But just the one.
I suspect the truth is that we are waiting, all of us, against insurmountable odds, for something extraordinary to happen to us.
J'aurais du etre plus gentille--I should have been more kind. That is something a person will never regret.
Beauty is an enormous, unmerited gift given randomly, stupidly.

Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live in the small village of Shadbagh. To Abdullah, Pari - as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named - is everything. More like a parent than a brother, Abdullah will do anything for her, even trading his only pair of shoes for a feather for her treasured collection. Each night they sleep together in their cot, their heads touching, their limbs entangled.

One day the siblings journey across the desert to Kabul with their father. Pari and Abdullah have no sense of the fate that awaits them there, for the event which unfolds will tear their lives apart; sometimes a finger must be cut to save the hand.

Crossing generations and continents, moving from Kabul, to Paris, to San Francisco, to the Greek island of Tinos, Khaled Hosseini writes about the bonds that define us and shape our lives, and how the choices we make resonate through history.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,819,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible