Archangel's Legion

by Nalini Singh

Series: Guild Hunter (6)

Angels are falling from the sky in New York, struck down by a vicious, unknown force. Vampires are dying impossibly of disease. Guild hunter Elena Deveraux and the Archangel Raphael must discover the source of the wave of death before it engulfs their city and their people, leaving New York a ruin and Raphael's Tower under siege by enemy archangels. Yet even as they fight desperately to save the city, an even darker force is stirring, its chill eyes trained on New York and on Raphael. Rivers of crimson and nightmares given flesh, the world will never again be the same.… (more)

The Guild Hunter series has a really interesting story arc to it. I find all of the character's to be very intriguing even the ones that I hate. Nalini Singh can always be trusted to write a series that has engaging characters and a full and fascinating story. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
It is the time of a Cascade. Archangels are gaining new powers. Lijuan has decided that it is time for her to unleash her undead armies on Raphael's New York. So war breaks out between Lijuan who has the power of death and Raphael who is gaining new powers of life.

The war starts with an attack that sends angels falling out of the sky leaving half on New York's forces injured and unable to fight. Then a disease is found to be killing vampires. Signs point to Lijuan but other archangels could be responsible too. Raphael and Elena need to find allies in the coming fight.

On the smaller, more personal side, Elena learns more about her father's past and perhaps some of the reasons that he rejected her so thoroughly after the death of her mother and older sisters. It looks like the past is repeating itself as he tries to keep Elena's young half-sister Eve from becoming the Hunter she was born to be. I like the relationship between Elena and her young sister. I also liked watching Elena grow into her role as Raphael's Consort.

I very much liked the relationship between Elena and Raphael. They are so well-matched. Elena is the only one who can stand up to Raphael and keep him from becoming the soulless monster that archangels sometimes become as they lose touch with the human lives under their commands. Elena's humanity is just what Raphael needs.

This was a very fierce story to read. Watching the forces build up for battle and then fight for survival was filled with many tense moments and some very human ones too. I liked the human bits as Elena spends time with Sara and her infant daughter, helps a vampire who is starting a business keep her business going when trouble comes, and takes a sick human child flying. I also like her relationship with Raphael's cadre and with the other angels in the tower.

This was a great addition to a compelling urban fantasy series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 15, 2021 |

I enjoy Nalini Singh’s writing and world’s she creates. I have to say I’m not falling in love with the Guild Hunter series like I did with her Psy-Changeling. Not sure why!! I am still very much enjoying theis series, but it’s not as die hard must read and own the books as I am with the Psy-Changeling.

Archangel’s Legion is book six in the Guild Hunter series. It returns us to our main and first couple Elena and Raphael. We get to see how their relationship is developing and the changes that are happening physically, emotionally, and in the world.

Elena is young, very young for an Angel and the first that the Angels know of that is a Made Angel. She is Consort to Raphael and a Guild Hunter. We go a little deeper into her psyche and the trauma that her father Jeffery instilled in her and get see how this affects her. We also see her taking on more responsibility - that many did not think or feel she would take on yet. She learns new things about being a Consort and starts to realizing that her life is just as dangers, if not more now, then it every was. Last she is coming to understand her place next to Raphael and in the world. Their is still much more for both of them to learn.

As for Raphael he undergoes very few changes in this installment.

We get to revisit with Raphael’s Seven and learn more about them, especially Aodhan. I really liked the inside look into Aodhan and can’t wait for his story. Archangel’s Legion had a nice mix of old and new characters. Their is lots of action, adventure, new alliances made, and a war coming. Things are changing and some big surprises are introduced to the reader, especially at the end.

The only thing that I didn’t care for was all the sex. I don’t mind reading about sex in romance books, but I felt it was too much. Almost every chapter had Elena and Raphael getting it on or ending with them in bed.

Archangel’s Legion was a satisfying read. It tackles Elena and Raphael’s greatest fears and shows how the characters are developing. The pace is quick, the action is relentless, and it prepares us for change in the world.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Four and a half stars! ( )
  Mrs.Soule | Nov 25, 2019 |
Nalini Singh rarely disappoints, and she didn't here. A solid chapter in this series. It was fun getting back to Ellie and Raphael, as well as seeing favorites from other stories.
  Colette_Miranda | Jul 29, 2019 |

Singh, NaliniAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Elena watched the ducks peck at each other in the pond in Central Park and thought about the last time she'd been here.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,818,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible